Drying an Oil-Slurry Finish

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Drying an Oil-Slurry Finish

Post by Grandadbushy » 08 May 2020, 11:21 pm

You might be in isolation Stix but Jesus your eaten well :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
Grandadbushy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 09 May 2020, 7:47 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:Looks good Oldbloke :thumbsup:

Yeh, was badly scratched before i started. Unfortunately the checkering went in the process. But no big deal. Just a cheap 12g i was given years ago.
Im thinking next one Ill try the the BLO, bees wax, turps recipe.
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Practice good hygiene.
Oldbloke
General
General

Victoria

Re: Drying an Oil-Slurry Finish Update & Question

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 May 2020, 4:51 pm

In the cool, rainy weather here, the hair dryer has proven to be a boon :) A number of coats of oil have been applied and the fore end is dry. It worried me that rubbing-in more oil, after the first coat/sand, seemed to dislodge wood dust from the pores. They clearly are no longer filled, however the wood is not absorbing some drops of water that were left on it for 20 minutes, in an attempt to test for water absorption. The drops were wiped off and the fore end processed with the dryer. This did not result in the grain being raised, confirming my opinion that the unfilled pores were not absorbing water. So I am reasonably happy with that.
However, rubbing the oil in, is giving some of my muscles some grief and I am wondering if there is an electric machine that you can attach a buff to, that would give me a rest. I am aware that you can get a lambswool pad for a rotary electric drill but wonder if the motion should be back and forth, to mimic the job done by hand. I also thought of a rag buff that is attached to a benchgrinder for polishing metal. Would that be too hard and fast? It would be pretty much in a straight line though, wouldn't it? I looked up google for pads to attach to an in line, back and forth sander but the manufacturers (of buffing pads) that I found, listed no such thing.

Anybody got any ideas :)
Wm.Traynor
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 21 May 2020, 7:49 pm

Nope, sorry!
GQshayne
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 21 May 2020, 9:02 pm

Surely you would be at the stage of simply applying the oil gently with no real need to create any warmth by hand. I have just finished a cz stock will buffing oil and I did two things differently and it was the nicest finish I have ever done. I stopped rubbing by hand and applied the oil with a cloth, and I used 5000 grit wet and dry to cut back the dry finish, and it turned out like wet glass.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 May 2020, 9:27 pm

That's interesting deanp100. I had no idea that I could do that.
BTW, did you mean 1000 grit; I never heard of 5000.
Wm.Traynor
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 22 May 2020, 7:38 pm

I bought some 2000 grit and it leaves scratches on the finish but is good to remove imperfections. I got some 5000 grit off eBay and when used wet on the dry finish it cuts is back so finely that is creates a beautifully smooth finish with no sanding scratches. It creates a white slurry with water and just buffs the oil. A quick wipe with a dry cloth and its glossy with a smooth used feel to it.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 23 May 2020, 1:11 am

deanp100 wrote:I bought some 2000 grit and it leaves scratches on the finish but is good to remove imperfections. I got some 5000 grit off eBay and when used wet on the dry finish it cuts is back so finely that is creates a beautifully smooth finish with no sanding scratches. It creates a white slurry with water and just buffs the oil. A quick wipe with a dry cloth and its glossy with a smooth used feel to it.

when you have finished with the paper look up rotten stone
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotten_stone

https://www.goldleaf.com.au/rottenstone ... grams.html
pomemax
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 23 May 2020, 8:20 am

pomemax wrote:
deanp100 wrote:I bought some 2000 grit and it leaves scratches on the finish but is good to remove imperfections. I got some 5000 grit off eBay and when used wet on the dry finish it cuts is back so finely that is creates a beautifully smooth finish with no sanding scratches. It creates a white slurry with water and just buffs the oil. A quick wipe with a dry cloth and its glossy with a smooth used feel to it.

Hi mate, have you used it? It sounds like it will be extremely fine. Any comparison to a wet and dry rating? The 5000 grit is very gentle.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 23 May 2020, 11:41 am

deanp100 wrote:
pomemax wrote:

Hi mate, have you used it? It sounds like it will be extremely fine. Any comparison to a wet and dry rating? The 5000 grit is very gentle.

tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ6PEk_OXBY watch this clip
pomemax
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 May 2020, 1:43 pm

Thanks for getting back to me deanp100 :D :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 May 2020, 1:45 pm

Boy, I have to say you blokes are a mine of information :D :thumbsup:
I'm lapping this stuff up.
Wm.Traynor
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 23 May 2020, 2:48 pm

pomemax wrote:
deanp100 wrote:
pomemax wrote:

tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ6PEk_OXBY watch this clip

That link doesn’t work but I found a lot of others on polishing with rotten stone. Larry potter was using it but he turned a high gloss into a satin but he started with 360 grit . There was another that made high gloss with a 4500 equivalent powder.
It looks like it might be a good thing.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 May 2020, 4:43 pm

Pretty sure I've got that one saved thanks deanp100. Did some snooping after I was on here last :)
Wm.Traynor
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Queensland

Previous

Return to Gunsmithing