Firearms Industry Business Owners/Employers on EnoughGun

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Firearms Industry Business Owners/Employers on EnoughGun

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Nov 2020, 10:39 am

(Quick note for any mods, perhaps a new section for employment, marketing (Social media content creators) and other such things related to the promotion of the industry?)

Now, I'm sorry if this gets you swamped with requests for employment and such, I can see a definite reason for not including employment opportunities on here i.e. it could stir up drama and leave a bad taste in peoples mouths. But what I'd like to know is:

Firearm Industry Employers: What is it about a potential employee candidate you look for when considering them?

Is it limited to industry work experience, military background, volunteer experience, avid shooters (non-professionally), education background and overall knowledge of specific roles? Or are there other things you look for?

Please specify the roles you employ and what you look for in potential candidates. Thank you kindly :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Re: Firearms Industry Business Owners/Employers on EnoughGun

Post by animalpest » 19 Nov 2020, 12:39 pm

Not in the "firearms industry" per se but I employ a fair number of full time employees (wages and salary) in feral and wild animal roles.

All are requred to conduct surveys, monitoring, shooting, trapping and baiting programs on a wide range of species varying from urban to desert regions and everything in between.

They come from a diverse background - farmers, truck drivers, degree qualified zoologists, etc. Each brings different skills and abilities. All can shoot to various degrees but get a heck of a lot better with training and experience!

Some roles require qualifications, most dont. Obviously work that is research, survey or data interpretation needs specific skills. Either way, we train all our own to have qualifications in vertebrate pest management within 2 years while also training on the job. Bit like a traineeship.

Selection criteria requires they must have shot animals. No brainer really for that one. They need to have a strong focus on animal welfare, be trainable, be able to follow instructions and procedures at all times, work alone, be a self starter, be able to come across well to clients and the public.

No drugs, clean police record, fit for age is essential. Oh and speaking of age, my last 2 new employees were aged 23 and 55 so it is not a factor.

Given the amount of money we spend training someone, their previous employment background is important.

Finally, they must be able to go away with other employees, put in big days together, work sleep and get on and be friends at the end of a trip.

Its the person as much as their background.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Nov 2020, 4:00 pm

Excellent, thank you. Feral pest control I'd personally count as being in the industry as firearms are a large proponent of the work. Police? No. Military? No. Armed guard? No. Feral Pest controllers, cullers, dealers, smiths, manufacturers, etc. Absolutely.
Member-Deleted

Post by Skinna » 20 Nov 2020, 1:23 pm

Any jobs going...?...or have i made a mess of that bed...?...hehe...
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by animalpest » 20 Nov 2020, 9:00 pm

haha... get a tonne of enquiries all the time. And when we advertise we get hundreds.

One thing peeves me off - when applicants expect or think I owe them some sort of favour. If this is not your dream job dont waste my time. Next!
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2020, 9:15 pm

animalpest wrote:haha... get a tonne of enquiries all the time. And when we advertise we get hundreds.

One thing peeves me off - when applicants expect or think I owe them some sort of favour. If this is not your dream job dont waste my time. Next!

I was just going through some potential courses I and others could do that were interested in dealing with guns and shooting for a living.

Could you please let me know which you'd value and which you couldn't care less about?

- Certificate III in Rural and Environmental Pest Management (AHC30318)
- Certificate IV in Pest Management (AHC41716)
- Certificate IV in Firearms (In the process of being made) (https://assetfirearms.com.au/certificat ... -firearms/)
- Diploma in Pest Management (AHC51310)

I'm assuming that Urban pest management would be of little use? As you'd be more rural focused on vertebrate pests, not common household pests.
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Nov 2020, 7:25 am

I know so many tertiary qualified ppl that in theory are up to the jobs I can offer, but id not employ due to attitude...and I see this more and more in private enterprise.
Govt jobs - qualifications count because the HR department can then relax if it turns out a bad call...”well, look at his resume...he was qualified “
Private enterprise? I’ll skim a resume but attitude is 90%.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by animalpest » 22 Nov 2020, 1:03 pm

BangWizzClack - Each of those has relevent parts.

The Cert III Rural and Environmental is more for those who want to be able to trap, shoot and bait pest animals. More options for control methods so it is used in WA to be licensed. It has one unit in firearms, which is the "humanely destroy animals with firearms".

Cert IV in Pest Management is similar. Cert III above, it has more units than Cert III and some are aimed at a slightly higher level of skills and competency.

Cert IV in firearms, if and when it becomes available, would be more about shooting, but depends on the competencies of the final units as to their relevence to you.

Dip Pest Management is primarily aimed at management, coordination and strategic roles. There is litlle hands on compared to Certificate level courses. Cert III and IV are the equivalent to trade qualifications.

Degree quals do not make you job ready to a technical role.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Nov 2020, 1:06 pm

Gotcha, thank you kindly.
Member-Deleted

Return to Gunsmithing