Weatherproofing a rifle

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Weatherproofing a rifle

Post by Flyonline » 03 Feb 2023, 7:03 pm

What with summer being over now :sarcasm: I'm looking forward to some cool weather and hitting the hills. Looking for ways to weatherproof my rifle (specifically Howa 1500 in 30-06) so I don't have to return/give up on rainy days.

I've sewn up my own scope cover out of waterproof neoprene which has a skirt that hangs down over the bolt/action. I'm also using some higher end oil (high caliber) and tape the end of the muzzle.

Anything else I can do that's worthwhile either in prep before or cleanup after?

Thanks

Steve
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Weatherproofing a rifle

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Feb 2023, 8:25 pm

Cerakote every component you can :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Feb 2023, 10:39 pm

Carry a lightly oiled cloth in a zip lock bag or other waterproof container, as well as a dry cloth in another. carry a small container with a pull through and lightly oiled patches. Go hunting, never mind the weather, just wipe over at the end of each day or after any river crossing where the rifle has been submerged and run a patch through the bore. This will get you through a week or more in the bush in any weather from light drizzle to a snow blizzard, and your rifle will not suffer one iota. Consider the ex-military rifles on the market some over 100 years old that served in the most atrocious conditions imaginable and are still in good condition with nothing more that a wipe over, and a service from Armourers every so often, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Feb 2023, 1:17 am

When I have it stripped for cleaning anything that is hidden or difficult to access I smear with grease. The rest I wipe over with oil or spray with Ballistol.
In the field tape the muzzle and keep the bolt closed to keep moisture out of the bore.
Neoprene sock over the scope is the only effective way I've found to keep water out of the scope lens covers, but it's not very useful if you're shooting in rain.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Flyonline » 05 Feb 2023, 2:31 pm

Thanks gents, sounds like I'm headed in the right direction. Was considering a sunshade type deal to cope with a shot in showers so might play with making up a neoprene slip on version.

It's a synthetic stock so no worries there!
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing