Thought on Wahl hair clipper blade oil?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Thought on Wahl hair clipper blade oil?

Post by junjun » 25 Jun 2018, 6:35 pm

Can I use this oil for lubricant on a semi pistol? I mean it's designed for metal to metal with high frequent movement. Or is it bad to use on a firearm?
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Thought on Wahl hair clipper blade oil?

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Jun 2018, 7:28 pm

Mobil 1 has a pretty good track record of providing lubrication for high speed metal parts.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Jun 2018, 8:22 pm

Lol... I hear kyjelly is used by more ppl
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by junjun » 25 Jun 2018, 10:23 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Mobil 1 has a pretty good track record of providing lubrication for high speed metal parts.

I actually google this, engine oil on gun. Surprisingly, there are heaps of people use Mobil 1 for semi rifle and handgun!
Look this up, it's actually interesting read!
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Jun 2018, 6:03 pm

Mobil 1 has more R&D put into it than most lubricants, including KY although KY has a lot of ongoing amateur testing....

I use lots of automotive oils and greases in guncare.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 26 Jun 2018, 6:47 pm

Personally Id be a little wary of the really light oils like that.
The lighter the oil the more easily dispursed it is...just a swipe on the lining of the inside of the safe & if you have no humidity protection & dont touch the gun for months you could find rust spots...this has been my experience anyway. :thumbsdown:

I actually use my nail gun oil for wiping down & anointing the bore...its designed to penetrate the guts of pneumatic nail guns, so its thin enough, but its a thicker consistency than the usual household oil such as the hair clipper oil....its also thick enough that it doesnt seem to run back down the bore into the action area so actually works a treat & a bucket load cheaper than a firearm related brand name oil...! :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by junjun » 26 Jun 2018, 9:45 pm

So today I bough a liter engine oil. I applied that to my handgun, everything seems fine. I put a drop on my finger, also a drop of RTH speedmetal. The difference isn't that much. I shoot IPSC twice a week, pretty much every week. I clean my gun maybe every 2 weeks. Rust isn't a problem, I also have one of that rechargeable dehumidifier in my safe. So far opinion at my club is 50/50 with the engine oil. Apparently a gunsmith also recommended the engine oil. A good shooter strongly against it.

I like it because 5w-30 engine oil is quite thick, thicker than the pro-shot I was using before.

Anyway, I am going to try it for a month and see. Cheers.
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 26 Jun 2018, 9:55 pm

I can't see why not, as SCJ 429 said about the R&D being done. I also know of a few blokes that use motorbike oil, similar story re R&D. Stands up to heat and friction etc...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by snag » 28 Jun 2018, 6:11 pm

Back in the day we used to use Singer sewing machine oil and it was fine. Probably very similar to hair clipper oil.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Jun 2018, 3:07 pm

:thumbsup: still using it...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing