Legalities of manufacturing rifle stocks

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Legalities of manufacturing rifle stocks

Post by Crankycant » 12 Aug 2018, 9:17 pm

Hi guys,
Just wondering if anybody here knows the legalities surrounding the manufacture of precision rifle stocks as a legitimate business venture. Google Searches do not bring much info to the table if any at all. The obvious one would be a firearms permit as you would want test your products. Thank you all in advance as I would love hear anyones knowledge or expertise surrounding this area.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Legalities of manufacturing rifle stocks

Post by Chronos » 12 Aug 2018, 9:38 pm

Rifle stocks aren't a controlled item and you can manufacture or import at will however start manufacturing items that if fitted to a firearm would constitute a prohibited weapon and you'd be receiving a bit of attention I reckon

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 12 Aug 2018, 9:56 pm

Chronos wrote:Rifle stocks aren't a controlled item and you can manufacture or import at will however start manufacturing items that if fitted to a firearm would constitute a prohibited weapon and you'd be receiving a bit of attention I reckon
Chronos

Are you saying that if I fabricate a stock for a rifle that I already own and which is registered, and that stock is then fitted to said firearm that it constitutes a prohibited weapon?
Perhaps you would care to clarify your statement.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 12 Aug 2018, 9:58 pm

If you make a folding stock (for example) and fit it to your already registeted rifle you could be in trouble....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by No1_49er » 12 Aug 2018, 10:05 pm

Gwion wrote:If you make a folding stock (for example) and fit it to your already registeted rifle you could be in trouble....

FWIW, OP's question was about manufacturing "precision rifle stocks". To my way of thinking (I use Anschutz) a folding stock is a bit shy of precision. Didn't see any mention of folding, although on that point you could be correct.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 12 Aug 2018, 10:17 pm

No1_49er wrote:
Chronos wrote:Rifle stocks aren't a controlled item and you can manufacture or import at will however start manufacturing items that if fitted to a firearm would constitute a prohibited weapon and you'd be receiving a bit of attention I reckon
Chronos

Are you saying that if I fabricate a stock for a rifle that I already own and which is registered, and that stock is then fitted to said firearm that it constitutes a prohibited weapon?
Perhaps you would care to clarify your statement.

I’m saying that if Yu make a stock for your rifle that doesn’t meet one or more of the laws in your state regarding firearm dimensions you may be breaking the law.

For example if your state has an 80cm minimum Overall length for rifles and your rifle in your new stock measures 72 cm it becomes a pprohibited weapon in your state.

Know your states legislation and you’ll be ok

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 12 Aug 2018, 10:35 pm

Crankycant wrote:Hi guys,
Just wondering if anybody here knows the legalities surrounding the manufacture of precision rifle stocks as a legitimate business venture. Google Searches do not bring much info to the table if any at all. The obvious one would be a firearms permit as you would want test your products. Thank you all in advance as I would love hear anyones knowledge or expertise surrounding this area.

I’m saying that if Yu make a stock for your rifle that doesn’t meet one or more of the laws in your state regarding firearm dimensions you may be breaking the law.
For example if your state has an 80cm minimum Overall length for rifles and your rifle in your new stock measures 72 cm it becomes a pprohibited weapon in your state.
Chronos

I am well aware of my state regulations.
But, Yu have taken the post off track and not answered the OP's question, which did not mention folding stocks.
Perhaps OP will chime in and clarify what he means by "precision stocks", and the configuration he proposes?
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Crankycant » 12 Aug 2018, 10:40 pm

Maybe I should have clarified what sort of stocks I wish to manufacture. Definitely not any folders or modular chassis, but could in the future at the moment I have been designing a few composite McMillan style stocks. Making and designing jigs has proven difficult but has been over come. Sorry again for not clarifying what stocks.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Crankycant » 12 Aug 2018, 10:46 pm

Really appreciate your insight chronos, you really know your laws and legislation. I don't wish to manufacture anything as seen in a military style light.
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Aug 2018, 6:59 am

I have never looked into doing it as a business, but I made my own aluminium bullpup chassis, and even handed it to Police during two storage inspections :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Crankycant » 13 Aug 2018, 10:18 am

Thanks bladeracer. Sounds good. very keen to post a few pics of finished products.
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 13 Aug 2018, 3:36 pm

No1_49er wrote:
Gwion wrote:If you make a folding stock (for example) and fit it to your already registeted rifle you could be in trouble....

FWIW, OP's question was about manufacturing "precision rifle stocks". To my way of thinking (I use Anschutz) a folding stock is a bit shy of precision. Didn't see any mention of folding, although on that point you could be correct.

Yeah. Just mentioning possible legal issues with making stocks; such as making a folding stock or, as Chronos points out, stocks that do not meet other legal criteria locally.

Other than that, no probs at all making a business out of making rifle or gun stocks.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 13 Aug 2018, 3:39 pm

No1_49er wrote:
Crankycant wrote:Hi guys,

Chronos

I am well aware of my state regulations.
But, Yu have taken the post off track and not answered the OP's question, which did not mention folding stocks.
Perhaps OP will chime in and clarify what he means by "precision stocks", and the configuration he proposes?

He did ask if there were any legal issues with setting up a stock making business, so pointing out the only possible issues isn't really too far off track. Generally speaking, there is no issue with making and selling stocks.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Gunsmithing