Flattened .22lr rim

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Flattened .22lr rim

Post by Rimfire22 » 11 Sep 2018, 11:19 pm

Hi, hoping to find out some info about a rifle I have put together, Sportco model 90 pump action .22. It had an ejection prob, but I have fixed this. It cycles well but I have the odd misfire and variation in firing pin strike dent and when using high velocity bullets I have notice that the base of the case is flattened. The brand name on the base is noticeable flat. I thought the problem would be tight head spacing, but the misfire and light dents in rim tells me to much head space. I know these are not the best rifles around, but it fits in my group nicely. Any info would be great. Thanks.
Rimfire22
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Flattened .22lr rim

Post by bladeracer » 12 Sep 2018, 12:31 pm

Rimfire22 wrote:Hi, hoping to find out some info about a rifle I have put together, Sportco model 90 pump action .22. It had an ejection prob, but I have fixed this. It cycles well but I have the odd misfire and variation in firing pin strike dent and when using high velocity bullets I have notice that the base of the case is flattened. The brand name on the base is noticeable flat. I thought the problem would be tight head spacing, but the misfire and light dents in rim tells me to much head space. I know these are not the best rifles around, but it fits in my group nicely. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Can you post photos of the brass? Is the barrel original? Could the barrel have a .22 Short or .22 Long chamber perhaps?
The light primer strikes are not necessarily indicating a headspace problem. Have you tried different brands of ammo?
I get lots more light strikes with Eley ammo than anything else as they have very thin rims.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Flattened .22lr rim

Post by Davo86 » 12 Sep 2018, 2:51 pm

As above a photo of the rim would help.
Maybe one of the firing pin, how does the spring look?
Davo86
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing