Increase in volume from braked .22?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Increase in volume from braked .22?

Post by kritch » 13 Jan 2014, 2:24 pm

Hi all,

So some people put a brake on their 22 just for s**ts and giggles, or to remove that last bit of muzzle jump or whatever.

A 22 is pretty quiet of course. Not enough to need earmuffs IMO.

If you brake a 22 though is it still pretty quite as it's burning so little powder?

Or does it get uncomfortably loud?
kritch
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Increase in volume from braked .22?

Post by Tinked » 13 Jan 2014, 2:31 pm

A definite increase in volume on a braked 22, despite how little powder is burned.
Tinked
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by yoshie » 13 Jan 2014, 8:15 pm

Rapid fire pistol used to have breaks (ported) they were the ultimate in fast accurate pistol, they may not have been any louder (22shorts are pretty quiet) but they did sound different as they directed noise in different directions that would reverberate off steel roofs and wooden divides etc.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Hucka » 13 Jan 2014, 9:01 pm

Tinked wrote:A definite increase in volume on a braked 22, despite how little powder is burned.

I dunno about when you're sitting behind it, but definitely beside it.

I've been on the bench next to guys a couple of times with breaks and normally I shoot with no earmuffs when it's only 22.

Next to the braked .22's it was above uncomfortable levels and I wished I had my earmuffs at the time.
Hucka
Private
Private

South Australia

Return to Gunsmithing