Barrel squeak when pushing patch through.

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Barrel squeak when pushing patch through.

Post by Gaznazdiak » 16 Sep 2018, 11:25 am

Got it right there Oldbloke, carbon fiber may have ten times the tensile strengh of steel, but it is nowhere near as hard.

Many people get the two confused. As you point out, it's all down to structure, how the carbon atoms are joined to each other in the different forms it can take.

When carbon fibre matting is used in small scale manufacturing like bespoke automotive applications it is cut with ordinary scissors.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 16 Sep 2018, 12:22 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"Keep in mind what diamond is composed of."

I have seen this suggestion before.

Just because it's carbon does not automatically mean it can cause damage. Diamonds are pure carbon with a particular form/structure. Graphite, a fantastic lubricant is also pure carbon, just different structure.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon

You might try googling the properties of "carbon fibre" if necessary.
The original poster said that is what he was using and not a glorified lead pencil.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Sep 2018, 12:47 pm

I use G96 but I clean the barrel with Hopes solvent and use Sweets for copper removal
then G96 for lub and barrel protection from rust after cleaning so far it has worked for me
Member-Deleted

Return to Gunsmithing