floating and bedding 22lr

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

floating and bedding 22lr

Post by bigrich » 25 Sep 2018, 6:59 pm

hi all. just wondering if anyone has performed a bedding or floating job on a 22lr. my rifle is a 1960 krico 22lr . the barrel sits in a nicely inletted stock, but it's sitting hard on the channel. i know some rifles don't respond well to floating. anyone want to share their experiences or opinions ? the rifle will shoot around 25-20 mm 5 shot groups at 50 already with it's chosen ammo. i just want to tweak it a little more.... :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: floating and bedding 22lr

Post by Wm.Traynor » 25 Sep 2018, 7:10 pm

If your groups are more or less round, it might not be worth the trouble of a bedding job, especially if you are inexperienced.
OTOH, if groups are obviously vertical, then the bedding might need "tweaking" however, if the scope-ring screws are a bit loose then they might be the cause of vertical groups. The same goes for the scope mount screws but more so, IMO.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Sep 2018, 7:14 pm

groups are reasonably "round" WM, just looking at tweaking it for the fun of it. i might see if i can find a second hand stock and modify that. :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 25 Sep 2018, 9:37 pm

bigrich wrote:hi all. just wondering if anyone has performed a bedding or floating job on a 22lr. my rifle is a 1960 krico 22lr . the barrel sits in a nicely inletted stock, but it's sitting hard on the channel. i know some rifles don't respond well to floating. anyone want to share their experiences or opinions ? the rifle will shoot around 25-20 mm 5 shot groups at 50 already with it's chosen ammo. i just want to tweak it a little more.... :lol: :thumbsup:

Give up and buy a peasant Voere ( 1967 ) bigrich :D :D :D :D

5 shots@50 yards CCI Standard.
Attachments
20180924_155425.jpg
20180924_155425.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 3886 times
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Sep 2018, 4:40 am

Yeah, good on ya stoney. :lol: ya got a one in a million 22 in ya rifle. :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 26 Sep 2018, 6:06 pm

its really up to you and what condition the rifle is in :unknown:
I bed 22 rimfire's because I can :unknown: I like to know that the rifle has the best chance of giving its best :thumbsup:
if your barrel is touching the barrel channel or your action bends as it is tightened the rifle should be bedded
I just do it as part of my OCD :wtf: I do it with every rifle I get before I shoot it :D I cant help myself :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Homer » 26 Sep 2018, 7:13 pm

G'Day Fella's,

Big Rich, the only rimfire rifle I've ever bedded (Pillar and Epoxy), was my own CZ 453 in .17 HMR.
That made an impressive difference (@ 50 meters)!
DSCN1485.JPG
DSCN1485.JPG (688.65 KiB) Viewed 3830 times

I generally only fully float the barrel on .22LR rimfires, and that, in my limited experience, gets good results.
Here's my CZ 452 (2003 vintage, (again @ 50 meters))
DSCN1176.JPG
DSCN1176.JPG (539.06 KiB) Viewed 3830 times

It's just a pity, I'm such a prick of a shot.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by deanp100 » 26 Sep 2018, 7:30 pm

Try packing it up on cardboard to keep the barrel clear and see if that helps . If it doesn’t try pressure pads under the barrel and screw it down tight on them. I have a dozen or so 22’s and have bedded about half of them and got a lot of variation in what they liked. Some liked bedding, others like my old Lithgows often preferred a front pad. It might not help but it rarely makes it worse.
Last edited by deanp100 on 26 Sep 2018, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Sep 2018, 8:19 pm

well fellas, i'm thinking about packing it with cardborad to get the barrel floating and taking it back to the range to see if it makes a difference. the attached pic shows a bit of vertical stringing which someone suggested was a sign of bedding issues. i'll keep playing , stay tuned :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG_0161[1].JPG
krico and 40gr win sub hp's
IMG_0161[1].JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 3821 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 27 Sep 2018, 4:33 am

Dunno why my phone flips the pics at times, that pics on its side. That’s a nice CZ ya got homer, I had a 2E a while ago that wouldn’t shoot that good :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Homer » 27 Sep 2018, 8:21 am

Bigrich, I forgot to say, you need to understand what you are doing, and have the feel for it, when you are tightening up the rifles action screws.
Have a play with these screws, and see what if any difference this makes to group size.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Gunsmithing