Well that SUCKED!

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Well that SUCKED!

Post by Rod_outbak » 01 Oct 2018, 7:03 pm

Spent most of the day; visit by a mate and Dad and older 2 brothers.

I had set up the safari rig on the back of the Landcruiser ute, which includes a Rhino Rack on the cab roof with a bench mounted atop it, so you have a nice big platform to pokk from while standing up in the back.
Safari setup can seat 3 up on a padded bench seat on the back; under shade, and with unrestricted acces & field of view.

Pete & his 2 brothers rode up on back and shared the pokk, while Brian (father) rode in front with me.

For Pokking, we took the Ruger Precision Rifle (.308) loaded with 125Gn SST's, and the Tikka T3 in 7mm-08; loaded with 120gn Vmax.

The wind was pretty gusty late this morning, so after about 30 rounds (and a few misses) through the RPR, I suggested we move to the T3, as the longer pill on the 7mm should cope with the blustery conditions a bit better. I prefer the trigger on the RPR, but the T3 can certainly reach out and touch things..

Anyway, the changeover worked well, until just after lunch. One of Pete's brothers went to pick the rifle up off the cab-top bench to move it, and the whole scope and rail came away in his hand. Looking at it, all 4 of the mounting screws holding the rail to the T3 have sheared off. The rail is still firmly attached to the Nightforce scope, but the rail and rifle have parted company. All 4 of the screws had been originally mounted with Loctite, and torqued to recommended, but until this, I had NO idea it was anything other than firmly affixed.
Looks like Roddy will be doing a little extracting work in the next few days...sigh.

By then, the wind had dropped to about half, and we pokked on for another hour with the RPR, so the day wasnt wasted. Pete and family had a really good day, and enjoyed themselves thoroughly.

Annoying, but not crippling.

Pokk on...
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Well that SUCKED!

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Oct 2018, 7:16 pm

:o :shock: Holy KK#$PP
If it's any comfort to you, I broke a file last week..........................................no, did'nthinkso ;)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by marksman » 01 Oct 2018, 8:27 pm

I have seen that happen with a couple of t3's, it's does suck :thumbsdown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 01 Oct 2018, 8:47 pm

I wish I had gone shooting today instead did some maintenance.... serviced a machine.... and then it um stopped working. Hopefully it's something simple
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 01 Oct 2018, 11:10 pm

you think that sucked,, depriming rod breaks three rounds to go,,totally gutted :allegedly: :P :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 02 Oct 2018, 6:32 am

Still better than a good day at "work" :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing