Sealing an unfinished stock

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Sealing an unfinished stock

Post by Stix » 31 Oct 2018, 8:44 pm

Hey DJ...
Mate first up, if its a stock blank it should be seasoned, so if you keep it in as relatively 'atmospheric stable' place you can it will (should) be fine :thumbsup: (that means dont keep it under the couch or bed in a house/room that is thermostatically temperature controlled with refrigerated Air Cond...!!)

If you want to protect it as you say, id put any relatively thick oil on the timber...(put the stock out in the sunshine for half hr then pool oil over it--let the oil soak in for 15 mins, adding more to dryer sections, then put in shade for 10 mins to cool down & wipe off excess, then shove it in an old pillow cotton pillow case in the back of the wardrobe :thumbsup: ).

You dont want something that will penetrate too deep, nor do you want something thst will stop any moisture vapour from entering/leaving the timber (so any natural oil or wax should be fine-any plant based/vegetable cooking oil even)-so what ever you do DONT put it in a plastic bag--think of timber like fresh killed meat--it needs to breathe not sweat :thumbsup:

May be go with what Gaz says & do danish...if you go linseed make sure its "RARE BOILED" or your pee pee will sting bad when the stock turns black... :lol:

Keep it out of direct UV light (if you store it on the window sill bigrich may break the glass & steal it....:lol: )

Overall, if you've already got some product on there & dont keep it in plastic or on the dashboard it will be fine...!!! :clap:
Dark room, no air cond, bewdy newk... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Oct 2018, 10:16 pm

Stix wrote:
If you want to protect it as you say, id put any relatively thick oil on the timber...(put the stock out in the sunshine for half hr then pool oil over it--let the oil soak in for 15 mins, adding more to dryer sections, then put in shade for 10 mins to cool down & wipe off excess, then shove it in an old pillow cotton pillow case in the back of the wardrobe :thumbsup: ):

Yeah thanks Stix,,,,,,,,,,,, will do,,, and put it in my gun safe.

But Mate,,,,,,,,,, you speak of sunshine,,,,,,,,
I wouldn't ave thought you'd know what that was,,,,,,,,,,, seeing as you live in SA,,

:shock: :shock: ,,,,,,,,, :lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stix » 31 Oct 2018, 10:33 pm

Yes mate...SA :thumbsup:
I take it you've not been here if you think we dont get any sun...??

.im not in Melbourne...!!! :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Gunsmithing