stock inletting for buttplate

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

stock inletting for buttplate

Post by zhuk » 08 Nov 2018, 12:04 am

Bit of an unusual request for opinions, I'm (eventually) taking delivery of one of those JW25 .22 norincos (early model so a bit more faithful to the original Mauser KKW) and trawling youtube came across a French guy who fitted an original k98 buttplate on his, really sets it off nicely imo. In the random crap I've amassed at various times, I do have a mauser buttplate so thought it would do well, inletting the butt and shearing off the correct angle would be what is needed; only sticking point being nil woodworking skills lol

It was suggested that looking up a local Men's shed might be helpful so I got in touch with a couple but they're not really in the position to school an absolute noob in something like this and/or weren't keen for any of their members to take a go at it. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too much of a job for a gunsmith however , and being in Sydney I was thinking maybe T Bone Shipwrighting might be the guy to approach. Any opinions would be welcome. Cheers guys.

zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: stock inletting for buttplate

Post by Supaduke » 09 Nov 2018, 10:54 am

Measure a lot , test fit a lot, cut a little.

A few small basic chisels, a steady hand and patience. Cut across the grain with a small saw to get the front edge, then slowly chisel it out with the grain using the cut as a stopper. Be gentle , work slow . Use sandpaper and files for final finish and fit. Not a difficult job. You can also use a sharp knife/box cutter for the vertical cuts. Don't cut too deep, use multiple light cuts.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing