Cowboy Gunsmith Melbourne

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Cowboy Gunsmith Melbourne

Post by wooosaah » 14 Nov 2018, 8:38 am

Could anyone recommend a gunsmith to work on lever action rifle for cowboy action in Melbourne?

I am getting a Uberti 1873 Competition for cowboy action shooting. A lot of the Americans on the SASS forums seem to advocate changing springs on a new rifle but I don't know where to take it.
wooosaah
Private
Private
 
Posts: 24
Victoria

Re: Cowboy Gunsmith Melbourne

Post by Gaznazdiak » 14 Nov 2018, 10:37 am

:lol:
I got the wrong impression there.

You know, cowboy builders, cowboy plumbers?

Can't help though, sorry.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
User avatar
Gaznazdiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1982
New South Wales

Re: Cowboy Gunsmith Melbourne

Post by bladeracer » 14 Nov 2018, 1:50 pm

wooosaah wrote:Could anyone recommend a gunsmith to work on lever action rifle for cowboy action in Melbourne?

I am getting a Uberti 1873 Competition for cowboy action shooting. A lot of the Americans on the SASS forums seem to advocate changing springs on a new rifle but I don't know where to take it.


I don't shoot Cowboy, but I bought my Uberti 66 from a Cowboy shooter.
As far as I can tell it is not modified at all, or ever cleaned for that matter.

I would really recommend you get the rifle first and see how you like it. Then decide if, and what, you might want to change.
There is a raft of aftermarket action parts to shorten and speed up the throw, and lighten the moving parts.
But there's nothing on the market to bring the design into the twenty-first century :-)

Personally, I hate the slicked-up Cowboy rifles, they bare no resemblance to the era they're supposed to be representative of.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5038
Victoria

Re: Cowboy Gunsmith Melbourne

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 14 Nov 2018, 4:09 pm

Buy it and try it first, then if you really want to make it Cowboy_friendly, ask the people at the clubs who they recommend.

It's what I'd do ....
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
User avatar
BRNO_Bigot
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 263
Australian Capital Territory

Re: Cowboy Gunsmith Melbourne

Post by marksman » 14 Nov 2018, 4:10 pm

wooosaah wrote:Could anyone recommend a gunsmith to work on lever action rifle for cowboy action in Melbourne?

I am getting a Uberti 1873 Competition for cowboy action shooting. A lot of the Americans on the SASS forums seem to advocate changing springs on a new rifle but I don't know where to take it.


there are guys in the club who could help but beware that once done there is no return, I have seen some real farkups done
IMO better to just use it and it will get slick itself :drinks:
User avatar
marksman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1768
Victoria

Re: Cowboy Gunsmith Melbourne

Post by bladeracer » 14 Nov 2018, 5:09 pm

marksman wrote:there are guys in the club who could help but beware that once done there is no return, I have seen some real farkups done
IMO better to just use it and it will get slick itself :drinks:


I haven't seen any permanent modifications, only different parts and modified parts, nothing that can't be returned to original.
Are there mods that actually alter the receiver?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5038
Victoria

Re: Cowboy Gunsmith Melbourne

Post by wooosaah » 15 Nov 2018, 8:13 am

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I was planning to just shoot it out of the box first. I'm not breaking any records right now so I'll ask around in the future.

Cheers.
wooosaah
Private
Private
 
Posts: 24
Victoria

Re: Cowboy Gunsmith Melbourne

Post by marksman » 15 Nov 2018, 12:41 pm

bladeracer wrote:
marksman wrote:there are guys in the club who could help but beware that once done there is no return, I have seen some real farkups done
IMO better to just use it and it will get slick itself :drinks:


I haven't seen any permanent modifications, only different parts and modified parts, nothing that can't be returned to original.
Are there mods that actually alter the receiver?


the mods that I have seen that are destructive are polishing parts so that the lever will basically throw with very little effort but IMO they are just wearing the rifles out by doing this, abrasive paste is used and the lever is opened and closed until they get the result they want, I have had a couple of guys ask me if I can restore there lever guns after the so called slick job but I told them I couldn't, one wouldn't even eject a case anymore when he got it back after the so called slick job :thumbsdown:
anyone contemplating this should be aware that they may not like the end job :crazy:
User avatar
marksman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1768
Victoria

Re: Cowboy Gunsmith Melbourne

Post by bladeracer » 15 Nov 2018, 12:46 pm

marksman wrote:the mods that I have seen that are destructive are polishing parts so that the lever will basically throw with very little effort but IMO they are just wearing the rifles out by doing this, abrasive paste is used and the lever is opened and closed until they get the result they want, I have had a couple of guys ask me if I can restore there lever guns after the so called slick job but I told them I couldn't, one wouldn't even eject a case anymore when he got it back after the so called slick job :thumbsdown:
anyone contemplating this should be aware that they may not like the end job :crazy:


Wouldn't you just replace those parts with original ones to return it to original condition?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5038
Victoria

Re: Cowboy Gunsmith Melbourne

Post by marksman » 15 Nov 2018, 8:26 pm

bladeracer wrote:
marksman wrote:the mods that I have seen that are destructive are polishing parts so that the lever will basically throw with very little effort but IMO they are just wearing the rifles out by doing this, abrasive paste is used and the lever is opened and closed until they get the result they want, I have had a couple of guys ask me if I can restore there lever guns after the so called slick job but I told them I couldn't, one wouldn't even eject a case anymore when he got it back after the so called slick job :thumbsdown:
anyone contemplating this should be aware that they may not like the end job :crazy:


Wouldn't you just replace those parts with original ones to return it to original condition?


better off to buy another blade
User avatar
marksman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1768
Victoria

Re: Cowboy Gunsmith Melbourne

Post by Ziad » 16 Nov 2018, 7:29 am

Mate I am in Melbourne and own a drill and two angle grinders, I reckon I can attempt a bit of cowboy style gunsmithing
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 958
Victoria

Re: Cowboy Gunsmith Melbourne

Post by bladeracer » 16 Nov 2018, 9:07 am

marksman wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Wouldn't you just replace those parts with original ones to return it to original condition?


better off to buy another blade


Probably cheaper to buy another one, but you're saying it's impossible to return them to original condition.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5038
Victoria

Re: Cowboy Gunsmith Melbourne

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Nov 2018, 9:14 am

It is when parent metal is removed from the action.
User avatar
Gamerancher
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 1207
New South Wales

Re: Cowboy Gunsmith Melbourne

Post by bladeracer » 16 Nov 2018, 9:19 am

Gamerancher wrote:It is when parent metal is removed from the action.


Yes, of course. But I haven't seen any mods that remove metal from the receiver - is that done?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5038
Victoria

Re: Cowboy Gunsmith Melbourne

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Nov 2018, 9:34 am

Yes, seen a few guns that have been ruined in this way. Totally "bubba'd" by an "expert".
User avatar
Gamerancher
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 1207
New South Wales

Re: Cowboy Gunsmith Melbourne

Post by bladeracer » 16 Nov 2018, 9:44 am

Gamerancher wrote:Yes, seen a few guns that have been ruined in this way. Totally "bubba'd" by an "expert".


Wow, that really would ruin it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5038
Victoria

Re: Cowboy Gunsmith Melbourne

Post by marksman » 16 Nov 2018, 4:03 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Gamerancher wrote:Yes, seen a few guns that have been ruined in this way. Totally "bubba'd" by an "expert".


Wow, that really would ruin it.


it does :thumbsup:
User avatar
marksman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1768
Victoria


Back to top
 
Return to Gunsmithing