303 Headspace gauge

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

303 Headspace gauge

Post by Stoney » 24 Dec 2018, 5:06 pm

G'day fellas, Does anyone know where in Australia, OR, alternatively on this planet, I can get a .303 headspace set from that doesn't cost an arm & leg or take months to get to here from overseas? Talk about rare bird. :crazy: I thought Australia was still full of old 3..0 stuff. Can't even find different height front sight blades. I guess it all got dumped? :shock:
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: 303 Headspace gauge

Post by bladeracer » 24 Dec 2018, 5:36 pm

Stoney wrote:G'day fellas, Does anyone know where in Australia, OR, alternatively on this planet, I can get a .303 headspace set from that doesn't cost an arm & leg or take months to get to here from overseas? Talk about rare bird. :crazy: I thought Australia was still full of old 3..0 stuff. Can't even find different height front sight blades. I guess it all got dumped? :shock:

I had to order my .303 dies from the US as I couldn't find any in Oz :-)
If you order it from the US or China it should be here in a week or two at most. You can get by with a Go-Gauge and cut .001" feeler gauge strip to put behind it to measure the clearance.

If you reload you can ignore headspace though.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=665&idcategory=0

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/showsearchresults.asp?pageStyle=H&resultCnt=400&keyword=front+sight+enfield

Or Brownells.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/measuring-tools/headspace-gauges/headspace-gauges-prod19183.aspx

Brownells also do a fairly comprehensive selection of front sights so might be worth a look there as well.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/front-sights/index.htm?k=enfield+front+sight&psize=96
Attachments
Brownells 303 headspace gauges.JPG
Brownells 303 headspace gauges.JPG (141.63 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 24 Dec 2018, 5:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Stoney wrote:G'day fellas, Does anyone know where in Australia, OR, alternatively on this planet, I can get a .303 headspace set from that doesn't cost an arm & leg or take months to get to here from overseas? Talk about rare bird. :crazy: I thought Australia was still full of old 3..0 stuff. Can't even find different height front sight blades. I guess it all got dumped? :shock:

I had to order my .303 dies from the US as I couldn't find any in Oz :-)
If you order it from the US or China it should be here in a week or two at most. You can get by with a Go-Gauge and cut .001" feeler gauge strip to put behind it to measure the clearance.

If you reload you can ignore headspace though.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=665&idcategory=0

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/showsearchresults.asp?pageStyle=H&resultCnt=400&keyword=front+sight+enfield

Or Brownells.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/measuring-tools/headspace-gauges/headspace-gauges-prod19183.aspx

Brownells also do a fairly comprehensive selection of front sights so might be worth a look there as well.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/front-sights/index.htm?k=enfield+front+sight&psize=96

Thanks for that blade. I just get tired of ordering 303 stuff from overseas that get ultimately held up by " border force ". I have bought from liberty tree and they are great. Brownells Aust, no just no. Can you order direct from Brownells US?
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by trekin » 24 Dec 2018, 6:35 pm

If you know someone with a lathe, they're easy enough to make. Made myself a set, go, no go & field, a few years ago when I had access o a small lathe.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 24 Dec 2018, 6:48 pm

trekin wrote:If you know someone with a lathe, they're easy enough to make. Made myself a set, go, no go & field, a few years ago when I had access o a small lathe.

That's exactly what I was thinking trekin. I will ask a tool maker I know.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Dec 2018, 7:03 pm

Stoney wrote:Thanks for that blade. I just get tired of ordering 303 stuff from overseas that get ultimately held up by " border force ". I have bought from liberty tree and they are great. Brownells Aust, no just no. Can you order direct from Brownells US?

Border Force shouldn't bother with tools. BF are messing me about now. I have two rifles sitting at the airport and we can't get through to anybody that can tell us how to collect them. My dealer drove up there today and made little progress. I think they've dragged some blow-ins in to look after the place while the real peeps are partying :-)

Nope, order via Brownells.com.au. If they don't have it listed email Bruce and he'll sort it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Dec 2018, 7:03 pm

trekin wrote:If you know someone with a lathe, they're easy enough to make. Made myself a set, go, no go & field, a few years ago when I had access o a small lathe.

Yep.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 25 Dec 2018, 3:41 am

Stoney wrote:

I'll put up some photos and diamentions, when I get home at the end of the week, if you want.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 25 Dec 2018, 12:53 pm

trekin wrote:
Stoney wrote:

I'll put up some photos and diamentions, when I get home at the end of the week, if you want.

That would be awesome. Thanks trekin :thumbsup:
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by magnum012 » 11 Mar 2019, 11:47 pm

What are you up to Stoney?
magnum012
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Stoney » 12 Mar 2019, 4:25 pm

magnum012 wrote:What are you up to Stoney?

Ummmm still waiting for trekin to post pics and dimensions. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by trekin » 13 Mar 2019, 7:29 am

Stoney wrote:
magnum012 wrote:What are you up to Stoney?

Ummmm still waiting for trekin to post pics and dimensions. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry mate, I was looking for a spare set I make up to send to you if you wanted. Seems they went AWOL 3 years ago when we moved house, then I found them, when looking for something else for a totally differant project and had one of those brain farts when you say to youself "ahh, I'll put those somewhere safe now that I've found them" and then promptly forget about them. Anyhoo, have them in my hand as I type this, so if you're interested you can have them. They're a bit rough in the finish dept, but dimensionally accurate.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 13 Mar 2019, 4:19 pm

:D :D :D You're a good bloke trekin. I was just having a laugh as I figured you had probably forgotten :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm not exactly sure what magnum012's comment means so I thought I would be a comedian. Buuuuutttt If you are offering YES I would gladly except. I couldn't care less if they are a bit rough as long as they do the job. I shall PM you. :thumbsup:
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by magnum012 » 17 Mar 2019, 1:47 am

Stoney wrote::D :D :D You're a good bloke trekin. I was just having a laugh as I figured you had probably forgotten :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm not exactly sure what magnum012's comment means so I thought I would be a comedian. Buuuuutttt If you are offering YES I would gladly except. I couldn't care less if they are a bit rough as long as they do the job. I shall PM you. :thumbsup:

Sorry I may have been drunk browsing, I think I meant what are you doing to your rifle?
magnum012
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Stoney » 17 Mar 2019, 10:27 am

magnum012 wrote:
Stoney wrote::D :D :D You're a good bloke trekin. I was just having a laugh as I figured you had probably forgotten :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm not exactly sure what magnum012's comment means so I thought I would be a comedian. Buuuuutttt If you are offering YES I would gladly except. I couldn't care less if they are a bit rough as long as they do the job. I shall PM you. :thumbsup:

Sorry I may have been drunk browsing, I think I meant what are you doing to your rifle?

All good magnum012 :D :D :D I was having some issues with one of my 303's.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing