Hogue stock problem?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Hogue stock problem?

Post by Uber_petey » 03 Jan 2019, 4:35 pm

I'm sure this would have already been covered, but here goes.
Picked up a new Howa 223 varmint with a rubber hogue stock. The barrel seems to sit slightly left in the stock. Pretty sure there's a bees dick of a gap between barrel and stock, but it certainly sits to one side. Anyone had this problem before? How did you overcome the issue. Shop said to loosen action and adjust the barrel to a more central spot then re-tighten. I haven't got around to trying this as of yet.
Long term plan is to upgrade the stock anyways, but I am keen to hear some feedback from others.
Cheers
Uber_petey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Hogue stock problem?

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jan 2019, 5:12 pm

If it shoots OK I would leave it. Get a new stock in the future and bed it.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 03 Jan 2019, 5:19 pm

upgrade the stock and bed it
you could go to the expense of reinforcing the forend and bedding but the hogue stocks still flex around the pistol grip after this is done
as SCJ429 said see how it shoots, it will not be consistent because of forend flex
shoot it off bags not a bipod :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Uber_petey » 03 Jan 2019, 5:32 pm

marksman wrote:upgrade the stock and bed it
you could go to the expense of reinforcing the forend and bedding but the hogue stocks still flex around the pistol grip after this is done
as SCJ429 said see how it shoots, it will not be consistent because of forend flex
shoot it off bags not a bipod :thumbsup: :drinks:

Yeah I'm not really keen on mucking around too much trying to bed it. Definitely will put a few through it and see how it goes, I have realistic expectations on how it will go.
I half have my eye on a Boyds tacticool at the local, have heard mixed reports on them but I'm sure they aren't too bad.
Just out of curiosity, why shoot off the bags and not bipod?
Cheers
Uber_petey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jan 2019, 5:40 pm

The wobbly old fore end is like licorice on a bipod but a rest will spread the load better. A big old sandbag with a groove pressed into it will do the trick.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 03 Jan 2019, 6:20 pm

licorice sticks wobble all over and don,t rest the barrel on the bag rest the forend
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Uber_petey » 03 Jan 2019, 6:57 pm

So avoid bi-pod all together with the rubber stock?
Uber_petey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jan 2019, 9:14 pm

Don't let the barrel touch anything, if that is what you are asking.

You will not shoot your best off a bipod with that stock, you need extra stiffness which you can add to the stock with a stabilising compound but since you are replacing the stock you can save your money. Try shooting off a bag and then shoot with a bipod and see if your groups deteriorate.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 04 Jan 2019, 8:36 am

SCJ429 wrote:The wobbly old fore end is like licorice on a bipod but a rest will spread the load better. A big old sandbag with a groove pressed into it will do the trick.

:thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Uber_petey » 04 Jan 2019, 11:39 am

SCJ429 wrote:Don't let the barrel touch anything, if that is what you are asking.

You will not shoot your best off a bipod with that stock, you need extra stiffness which you can add to the stock with a stabilising compound but since you are replacing the stock you can save your money. Try shooting off a bag and then shoot with a bipod and see if your groups deteriorate.

I'll give both ways a try for sure. And yep definitely no barrel contact on any rests etc.
Cheers
Uber_petey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Uber_petey » 13 Jan 2019, 5:34 pm

Gave it a whirl today off the sand bags, managed a few .75 and 1 inch groups at 100 yards.
Haven't fitted a bipod yet, but being a new rifle those groups should tighten up a little bit, then I'll whack the legs on and see how it performs.
The barrel still favors the left side of the stock too, couldn't straighten it at all.
Uber_petey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 13 Jan 2019, 8:14 pm

Uber_petey wrote:Gave it a whirl today off the sand bags, managed a few .75 and 1 inch groups at 100 yards.
Haven't fitted a bipod yet, but being a new rifle those groups should tighten up a little bit, then I'll whack the legs on and see how it performs.
The barrel still favors the left side of the stock too, couldn't straighten it at all.

I'm sure the groups will tighten up :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Jan 2019, 8:45 pm

I would leave it be if you can shoot.750, are you happy with that result? Some rifles never shoot like that, even after bedding and extensive load development.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Uber_petey » 14 Jan 2019, 3:57 am

SCJ429 wrote:I would leave it be if you can shoot.750, are you happy with that result? Some rifles never shoot like that, even after bedding and extensive load development.

Happy would be an understatement I reckon. So far I've only put about 25-30 through the rifle, so if it gets any better then that's a bonus, if it stays the same well I'm pretty happy either way.
It's my first rifle too, so I'm still learning how to shoot really, I did have someone with me pointing me in the right direction. Ammo was buffalo river 55gn blitzking, I bought 100 rounds when I got the gun, considering buying a can of 900 now haha
Uber_petey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing