Two stage trigger VS set trigger

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Two stage trigger VS set trigger

Post by roob » 28 Jan 2014, 10:40 am

Hi guys,

Can someone explain the difference between a two stage trigger and a set trigger?

Set trigger sounds much the same, but I'm obviously missing something...

Thanks.
7mm-08 Tikka T3 Varmint and a .22-250 Tikka T3 Varmint
roob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Two stage trigger VS set trigger

Post by Apollo » 28 Jan 2014, 11:08 am

I have never used a Two Stage Trigger but I believe it is just as the description says, two stages. The first stage is the take up before it hits tha second stage which releases the firing pin. Both stages I believe are adjustable in how they behave.

I don't like the sound of a two stage trigger, sounds to me like a badly set up single stage trigger with lots of creep before it actually gets to the extra tension required to release the firing pin. Creep....!!!

Most set triggers, single set or double set are like two single stage triggers. Unset, or normal giving a normal trigger weight say for hunting like 2-5lbs but in set mode a much more lighter trigger weight like 8ozs to 1lb or so for better feel when shooting from a support like a Bipod and/or Front Rest as in Benchrest.

Rough description of how I see them.

I like light triggers, three target triggers I have are 1.5ozs others around 8ozs and most other I have are single set with a set weight up to 8ozs and normal trigger pull around 1.5lbs. I believe it's what you like yourself and get used to. All are perfectly safe if you keep your finger away from the trigger. I do not use any of the light triggers or settings when hunting or not using some sort of steady rest.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Manimal » 28 Jan 2014, 12:11 pm

Yep, so two stage has a small take up stage where the trigger moves back very lightly before meeting the resistance point. This is to get your finger 'comfortable' and ready to actually pull the trigger past the resistance point to make the rifle fire.

If you get in position and release the trigger without firing, it goes back to its resting position and then you have to take up the stage 1 slack again.

They're all about getting comfortable for target shooting (or varminting if that's the case).

A set trigger works like a normal trigger in that you can just pull it and make the rifle discharge, or you can 'set' the trigger in a ready to fire position which makes it like a hair trigger.

Unlike a two-stage trigger though, once you 'set' a set-trigger it stays that way. The trigger is primed for a super light pull and stays that way until you fire the rifle or un-cock it.

If you were stalking through the bush or whatever and heard your quarry rustling around up ahead, that's when you'd set your trigger so it's ready to go.
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Pom » 29 Jan 2014, 10:56 am

Sako and Tikka both come with optional set triggers.

Give your local a call or head down, they'll probably have one in stock.

I think on those two specifically you can pull the trigger back as normal, or click it forward to turn it into a "hair trigger".

Head to your local store anyway and give one a go, you'll get the idea.
Remington 700 VTR in .308 WIn
Winchester Model 1873 in .44-40
Sako A7 in 243 Win
Pom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 29 Jan 2014, 11:32 am

Yes. Tikka & Sako have the option of a Single Set Trigger however in general they must be ordered with that option from Beretta. It would only be by chance that a Gun Shop would have one in stock in any calibre.

The Sako Varmint should come with a Single Set Trigger as standard. The exclusion to this is that some time back Beretta removed those triggers and supplied them with a standard trigger in an effort to reduce the price and make them more competative against the rest. Don't know if they are still doing that trick or if they have reorted back to how they should be supplied. The best bet is to ask.

Also some time back Beretta had the policy that they would not sell a Single Set Trigger, if you wanted one they would insist that the firearm new or used be returned to Beretta for fitment by their own in house Gunsmith. You would not get your normal trigger returned. Again don't know if that is still the policy.

I wanted a Single Set Trigger for an old Sako Single Shot S491 but did not want to loose my current trigger. I tried and tried but got nowhere through Gunshops and Beretta direct so I gave up and lightened my own trigger further to better suit my purpose.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by AlanK » 29 Jan 2014, 12:41 pm

Apollo wrote:Also some time back Beretta had the policy that they would not sell a Single Set Trigger, if you wanted one they would insist that the firearm new or used be returned to Beretta for fitment by their own in house Gunsmith. You would not get your normal trigger returned. Again don't know if that is still the policy.

Pfft, what a rort.

Gouging you for every $$$ they can :(
AlanK
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 30 Jan 2014, 7:34 pm

Apollo wrote:I have never used a Two Stage Trigger but I believe it is just as the description says, two stages. The first stage is the take up before it hits tha second stage which releases the firing pin. Both stages I believe are adjustable in how they behave.

I don't like the sound of a two stage trigger, sounds to me like a badly set up single stage trigger with lots of creep before it actually gets to the extra tension required to release the firing pin. Creep....!!!

Not quite, there is a definate stop, especially with military triggers, you aim and take up the first stage then the second stage is what most would expect a single stage trigger to be like.

A two stage trigger is easier to get used to than a set trigger, many early set triggers tripped with quite a jar which was off putting (early CZ hornets as an example) and did tend to counter the benefits.

I have used Davies triggers before and recommend them highly.

http://www.daviestriggers.com.au/ This link goes straight to them.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Apollo » 30 Jan 2014, 8:19 pm

Warrigul wrote:
Not quite, there is a definate stop, especially with military triggers, you aim and take up the first stage then the second stage is what most would expect a single stage trigger to be like.

A two stage trigger is easier to get used to than a set trigger, many early set triggers tripped with quite a jar which was off putting (early CZ hornets as an example) and did tend to counter the benefits.

I have used Davies triggers before and recommend them highly.

http://www.daviestriggers.com.au/ This link goes straight to them.

If that is correct it sounds like this crazy Savage "Accutrigger" that so many hate.

Why in the world would you want to pull a trigger that does nothing other than take up the slack then get to the stage where a trigger should be. Sorry but it sounds terrible to me.

If a trigger tripps as you put it with a "jar" then it's unsafe....!!!!!

No trigger I have played with, from ultra light 1.5ozs to whatever, single stage or set trigger goes off even if you drop the rifle butt on concrete from a metre height.

I will admit I have never had experience with a two stage trigger so I'd better leave it at that but the idea from what you describe confirms I don't think I'd like one.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 31 Jan 2014, 2:28 pm

Apollo wrote:
If that is correct it sounds like this crazy Savage "Accutrigger" that so many hate.

Why in the world would you want to pull a trigger that does nothing other than take up the slack then get to the stage where a trigger should be. Sorry but it sounds terrible to me.

If a trigger tripps as you put it with a "jar" then it's unsafe....!!!!!

No trigger I have played with, from ultra light 1.5ozs to whatever, single stage or set trigger goes off even if you drop the rifle butt on concrete from a metre height.

I will admit I have never had experience with a two stage trigger so I'd better leave it at that but the idea from what you describe confirms I don't think I'd like one.

The JAR I am talking about was when actually using the set triggers, it was the force of the trigger releasing in normal usage not an accidental discharge. We did a test on the bench one day dry firing and you could actually see the rifle move with the force of the set trigger going off.

A two stage trigger is very safe. The reason lighter triggers can go off, if not a malfunction or lack of sear engagement, is the inertia of the trigger blade itself. You drop something and it experiences a sudden stop and the weight of the trigger blade and its inertia can be enough to set off a light trigger.

I never comment unless I have personal experience on the subject.

As an example I was told how bad accu triggers were on savages and even allowed myself to be mislead to the degree that I ordered a replacement trigger for the new savage I had ordered, I had been using the rifle for three weeks before the new trigger turned up, I was happy with the original so on sold the trigger. Opinions are fine but they need to be backed by something more than guesses
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Monty » 02 Feb 2014, 3:30 pm

Apollo wrote:I will admit I have never had experience with a two stage trigger so I'd better leave it at that but the idea from what you describe confirms I don't think I'd like one.

They don't really do anything for me either.

Personally I prefer a single stage with a crisp break, I don't find the take up stage on a two-state trigger really adds anything for me. I prefer without it.

Just my humble opinion.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing