Boyds stocks

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Boyds stocks

Post by Diddums » 22 Jan 2019, 9:27 pm

Im thinking about replacing the stock on my tikka with a Boyd's AT One.
Went into my local today and they said that the Boyd's stocks dont have any bedding systems in them, I.e. pillers or blocks.

Can anyone shed any light on the matter
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Boyds stocks

Post by Bill » 22 Jan 2019, 9:39 pm

I use to like using boyds but they are poor fitting these days need a s**t load of work to get up to standard
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Jan 2019, 9:44 pm

Nor has any other stock you would buy. Some factory stocks have some goop they call bedding or a aluminium plate. They all need bedding from you if you are handy or your gunsmith. Pillars only stop they ply from compressing over time. I have a Boyds thumb hole and it is excellent. The fit and finish is unbelievable for the price.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 22 Jan 2019, 9:54 pm

Diddums wrote:Im thinking about replacing the stock on my tikka with a Boyd's AT One.
Went into my local today and they said that the Boyd's stocks dont have any bedding systems in them, I.e. pillers or blocks.

My brother put a Boyd on his Ruger American and it has no bedding at all, the action screws just crush the wood, particularly easy with it being cross grain.
I hate Boyd stocks. To me they look and feel like plastic, so just use a plastic stock.
Last edited by bladeracer on 22 Jan 2019, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Jan 2019, 10:01 pm

I run a heap of boyds stocks on all manner of different brand rifles and none of em have ever been bedded, I generally open up the barrel channel to give em a bit more room around the barrel and that's it, I've got some amazing results groups wise and no doubt they could be improved more but for my needs I haven't had a need to pillar bed any of them.

I can't say I've had any issues with fit and finish with any of them thus far (actually I think there was one for the Ex's Ruger where I had to just sand a bit to open up where the bolt closes down into the stock (it was a bit snug) simple job and sorted quickly enough.

I haven't used the one you're looking at mate but I would think it would be a good stock and they are easy enough to put pillars in from what I've seen and beddings the same too, buy it and give it a crack I reckon.

You can be the forum guinea pig :D I do like the look of em I must say. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TheDude » 23 Jan 2019, 11:12 am

Had a Boyds thumbhole stock on my tikka before I switched to a wildcard chassis. Was an easy job putting pillars and bedding.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 23 Jan 2019, 12:05 pm

Diddums wrote:Im thinking about replacing the stock on my tikka with a Boyd's AT One.

The At One is probably an acquired taste. It has a few kind of sharp corners. Pretty sure they have released a thumb hole version of the At One now. I already has 4 Thumb hole Boyds stocks/ a GRS berserk and chassis with a pistol grip.

A stand rifle stock kind of feels weird to me now. The thumb hole feels more natural for me now.

The standard At One stock has a flat section where I sit my thumb on top. I can definaltely see why some people don't love it. For me what other stock do you get for $375 with push button length of pull and cheek Adjustment.

Yes if you want pillars and bedding you do it yourself.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 23 Jan 2019, 12:10 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (784.87 KiB) Viewed 3023 times

Howa Mini action. 6.5 Grendel in Boyds At One stock
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant