Stuck trigger retaining screw in Tikka T3

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Stuck trigger retaining screw in Tikka T3

Post by InisBineest » 19 Feb 2019, 4:20 pm

Hey All,
I'm after a bit of wisdom from anyone who has removed the trigger unit form a Tikka T3....

I'm trying to simply replace the trigger spring with a lighter one from "Gunbloke". Should be easy, but I've hit a snag. The M6 (I believe) screw with the 5mm Allen key head that holds the trigger in is firmly stuck. I'm no muscle man, but this thing is not moving with all the force I can apply with a standard 5mm Allen key. I've used enough force to begin (slight imprint) to damage the inside of the screw head. Note this is a new, unmodified, never fired or messed with T3.

So I have two options.

1. Leverage! But my concern here is i could sheer the head off. Never done so, but i've heard of it happening in other applications.

2. Bath the lot in WD40, and hopefully it will come loose. This leaves the problem of WD40 in the trigger, so part 'b' of this plan is clean it with brake cleaner afterwards, and for this i need to know if there are any plastic parts in the trigger housing. plan 'c' failing plan 'b' could be detergent and water.

If anyone with experience could provide their insight i would be most appreciative.

Cheers,
Caleb
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Stuck trigger retaining screw in Tikka T3

Post by bladeracer » 19 Feb 2019, 5:47 pm

InisBineest wrote:Hey All,
I'm after a bit of wisdom from anyone who has removed the trigger unit form a Tikka T3....

I'm trying to simply replace the trigger spring with a lighter one from "Gunbloke". Should be easy, but I've hit a snag. The M6 (I believe) screw with the 5mm Allen key head that holds the trigger in is firmly stuck. I'm no muscle man, but this thing is not moving with all the force I can apply with a standard 5mm Allen key. I've used enough force to begin (slight imprint) to damage the inside of the screw head. Note this is a new, unmodified, never fired or messed with T3.

So I have two options.

1. Leverage! But my concern here is i could sheer the head off. Never done so, but i've heard of it happening in other applications.

2. Bath the lot in WD40, and hopefully it will come loose. This leaves the problem of WD40 in the trigger, so part 'b' of this plan is clean it with brake cleaner afterwards, and for this i need to know if there are any plastic parts in the trigger housing. plan 'c' failing plan 'b' could be detergent and water.

If anyone with experience could provide their insight i would be most appreciative.

Cheers,
Caleb

Might have a locking compound on it, try some heat?
An email to Tikka direct might be in order to avoid doing any damage.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 20 Feb 2019, 10:43 am

email the gunbloke :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 21 Feb 2019, 10:46 am

I did email Tikka direct and on account of their not wanting be be liable for handing out information to modify their rifles, they were not forthcoming in providing assistance. I did email gunbloke and he advised heat too, but advised caution in not allowing it get too hot. After a more carefully worded email to Tikka under a different name they have confirmed there are no plastic parts in the trigger, so I will go ahead with the WD40 and try some heat too. I'll post my results.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 21 Feb 2019, 12:27 pm

do you have an electric soldering iron? hold it to the screw head to transfer heat to the screw if it has loctite on it you will need to get it fairly hot but , you should smell the loctite break down sort of sweet toffee smell then try to remove the screw , first try just to tighten it a real small amount then undo the screw.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Feb 2019, 12:35 pm

As Pomemax said said put a soldering iron on it to heat it up then undo it, it usually works.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by InisBineest » 23 Feb 2019, 11:07 am

Sorted! So in smmary...

There was no loctite in the retaining screw, it was simply very tightly screwed in.

WD40 did the trick to loosen it up, it finally gave.

Brake cleaner was perfectly safe to use in the factory trigger unit of a T3, according to Beretta as thee is no plastic in the unit.

Thanks for your help all!
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing