Gunsmith in the Canberra Region

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Gunsmith in the Canberra Region

Post by Mr48Volts » 25 Feb 2019, 8:43 pm

Hi Folks, Im still waiting on my licence to come through but I handed in a family heirloom during the Amnesty last year that’s waiting for me at the local gun shop. It’s an old shotgun of my grandfathers, its got no branding on it and it certainly needs a huge service and probably rebluing. It’s a side by side, break action. Problem with it is there’s an issue with the spring inside the locking mechanism and it will only lock if you do it by hand, obviously not very safe.

The gun shop who has it has taken a look at it and claims the can’t get all the screws out to fix it, I’d really like to try and get this to a useable state to honour my Pop. Does anyone know of any decent gunsmiths in the Canberra region or Sydney as I’d be happy to travel to bring this gun back to life. Thanks in advance.
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Browning XBolt .204 Ruger
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Gunsmith in the Canberra Region

Post by Daddybang » 26 Feb 2019, 4:03 pm

BUMP to get mr 48volts granddads shottie workin!! :D :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Mr48Volts » 26 Feb 2019, 7:09 pm

Daddybang wrote:BUMP to get mr 48volts granddads shottie workin!! :D :thumbsup: :drinks:

Lol thanks man :-)
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 27 Feb 2019, 7:01 am

Visit a shotgun club and ask for their reccomendations for a gunsmith to restore your shotgun. They don't necessarily reside in gunshops.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bazooker » 27 Feb 2019, 7:42 am

Try the local Field & Game branch:-

https://www.fieldandgame.com.au/@canberra

Find out when they are having their next shoot or practice and head along, you should find someone who can help you out.

Baz.
It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze........Relax!
Bazooker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Bazooker » 27 Feb 2019, 7:47 am

Found it,

10/03 10:00 AM

Canberra International Clay Target Club, Charcoal Kiln Rd, Kowen, ACT, 2620

B.
It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze........Relax!
Bazooker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Mr48Volts » 04 Mar 2019, 9:01 am

Thanks Lads, great ideas, when my PTA comes through I'll head there and see if I have any luck.
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Chappo » 04 Mar 2019, 4:20 pm

Does your gunsmith need to be local?
Could you post it to “the right guy” anywhere in Australia?
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by allan » 05 Mar 2019, 2:16 pm

Chappo wrote:Does your gunsmith need to be local?

Worth considering - I'm several states from this fellow but he gets all my work these days:
http://rolfhey.com/

Has done a heap of restoration work and "one off" custom parts for me. Shipping costs are expensive but more than compensated for by the quality of his work and turn around times.

I recently sent him a rim fire to have the receiver threaded & Benchmark barrel blank installed. TWO DAY turn around and a week with Australia Post - We had discussed my requirements in detail previously and I had all the parts in hand but who could complain about service like that!
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Mr48Volts » 05 Mar 2019, 7:17 pm

allan wrote:
Chappo wrote:Does your gunsmith need to be local?

Worth considering - I'm several states from this fellow but he gets all my work these days:
http://rolfhey.com/

Has done a heap of restoration work and "one off" custom parts for me. Shipping costs are expensive but more than compensated for by the quality of his work and turn around times.

I recently sent him a rim fire to have the receiver threaded & Benchmark barrel blank installed. TWO DAY turn around and a week with Australia Post - We had discussed my requirements in detail previously and I had all the parts in hand but who could complain about service like that!

No Allan not at all. I guess I was looking for an easier option 1st. Given the importance of this shotgun to me and my family I’d consider it for sure. Thank you.
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 22 Mar 2019, 8:55 am

Hey Mr48Volts!

Congrats on your licence and hope those PTAs have come through :D

I've been referred to Robert at Robertson NSW (near Wollongong) http://www.rdtproducts.com/services.html more in the context for trigger work and for benchrest stuff but not totally out of the way for you. I think he is well known with a lot of the benchrest shooters.

He has a mention here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3420#p45008 with final results here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3420#p45825 .. funny that Rolf Hey is also mentioned :thumbsup:

Not sure what his experience is with shotguns but the benchrest stuff seems to need to be precise .. :unknown:

Cheers,
Mick
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing