P14/M17

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

P14/M17

Post by Stoney » 27 Feb 2019, 5:59 pm

If you want to run a rimless round in a P14 is it just a matter of replacing the P14 bolt with an M17 bolt? Cheers.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: P14/M17

Post by No1_49er » 27 Feb 2019, 7:31 pm

I doubt it.
P14 was chambered for 303BR, M17 for 30-06Springfield. Not a lot of similarity there.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 27 Feb 2019, 7:37 pm

No1_49er wrote:I doubt it.
P14 was chambered for 303BR, M17 for 30-06Springfield. Not a lot of similarity there.

P14/M17 Bolts are identical bar the bolt face. Receivers identical as well if I am not mistaken. Am I wrong?
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Feb 2019, 8:06 pm

Stoney wrote:
No1_49er wrote:I doubt it.

P14/M17 Bolts are identical bar the bolt face. Receivers identical as well if I am not mistaken. Am I wrong?

Would the P14 feed rimless rounds, or vice versa?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 27 Feb 2019, 8:33 pm

I have just looked up what you are talking about.I knew the p14 was an Enfield rifle but had not heard of the m17.if the bolts interchange what rimless case would it chamber????
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 27 Feb 2019, 9:17 pm

duncan61 wrote:I have just looked up what you are talking about.I knew the p14 was an Enfield rifle but had not heard of the m17.if the bolts interchange what rimless case would it chamber????

i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong, the P14 was made by remington ( and eddystone ? ) and winchester for the british in .303 as a trial new rifle. a 7mm cartridge was tested as well in these rifles i think . WW1 broke out and the brits went back to the enfeild as they were all set up for it . the yanks made a 30-06 version for themselves that was issued to their troops but was heavier than the springfeild . these actions are reputed to be extremely strong, and unless i'm mistaken , ron weatherby and other gunsmiths built big game rifles on these actions in large calibers post-war . i'm sure someone else can add to this

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 27 Feb 2019, 10:51 pm

That's what I looked up.So the rimless bolt will fit in the action what case would replicate the 303
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 28 Feb 2019, 2:45 am

here you go guys very nice gun the m1917 it a very collectable here only made 2 years
Attachments
M1917_Enfield_-_USA_-_30-06_-_Armémuseum.jpg
M1917_Enfield_-_USA_-_30-06_-_Armémuseum.jpg (292.91 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 28 Feb 2019, 4:49 am

duncan61 wrote:That's what I looked up.So the rimless bolt will fit in the action what case would replicate the 303

308? I’ve heard of these being built into all sorts of chamberings, cause it’s a long action , 25-06 up too 300 win mag I’ve heard off . There’s one on rebel gun works website in 416 . One of my local gunsmiths was building one up on 505 Gibbs I believe . I like old military rifles , shame my eyes don’t like iron sights anymore

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Feb 2019, 6:01 am

G'day Stoney,
Not a straightforward thing you ask. In later production Pattern '14 rifles an M1917 bolt will fit the action with only a minimum of work, but early production P '14 has a shorter locking lug length, and would require extensive rework. Parts interchangeability was not high through production of early P '14's from maker to maker, and Mark to Mark, so rifles are marked as E, W, and R suffixes (denotes makers names) so armourers could keep spares for each and know what they needed to to get for repairs. If you want a P '14 in a rimless chambering the easiest way to do it is to start with a US M1917, much less bother, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 28 Feb 2019, 6:31 am

In trying to run a 30-06 or 308 in a P14 you will encounter these difficulties.
Different extractor, can be modified or substituted.
Different bolt face leads to extraction problems even if extractor replaced or modified.
So if you successfuly substitute a complete bolt, as per No1Mk3, then you are faced with differences in action (magazine) feed lips and follower which might not work or worse still might sometimes work.
You might be able to find substitute follower but can you see the $'s starting to add up?
The simplest advice is to stick with standard head size cartridges in M17 and 303 or belted magnum in P14
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stoney » 28 Feb 2019, 8:19 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. It's good to see there is some very knowledgeable people on this forum.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by StephenG » 03 Jun 2023, 3:25 pm

The P 14 Bolt can be swapped for an M17 and either extractor will fit either bolt. The P14 Bolt Face is the right size for 375 H & H
The firing pins can be swapped around but the p14 has a narrower tip, I believe the cocking pieces / triggers are the same. The bolt stop is different on the P 14 as is the Rear sight ,either one will fit but the cartridges have different trajectories and are thus configured differently. The Winchester P 14 has its own magazine rail configeration and is unlike either the P 14 made by Remington or Eddystone. It has been said that Eddystones are prone to receiver cracking. On all of these rifles if removing the barrel it is necessary to make a parting off tool out of an old HSS hacksaw blade and relieve the barrel in front of the action, the barrel can then be screwed out by hand. Apart from being harder Eddystone are fine especially the higher numbered ones If making a magnum 375 H & H size or bigger the P 14 bolt offers more material when opening out the bolt face , a benefit on the 375 but not absolutely necessary on 375 H & H but if going to the 416 Rigby then there is more meat to surround the left side of the bolt face to keep the cartridge in line.
On the 416 you will remove the tit on an M 17 Bolt. The bolts and actions are made from a 3.5% nickle steel and when the action is dry the bolt tends to stick. This was overcome by making new Bolts that do not have the nickel in the steel'.Bolts branded with a K on the underside of the bolt handle are the non sticking variety. There was another US Company who made similar bolts
When welding up the duckpond under neath the rear sight Make sure you bevel the filler plug quite drastically as well as the hole so that when you fill in the v with weld you go deep enough so when filed and polished to contour you do not grind through the weld Go down at least 5 mm from the perceived finish line. I use a trough made from 40 mm RHS with the ends welded up fill with fine sand and wet when welding in the plug. I think the safety catch and it components are the same for either. The P 14 bolt may require relief to prevent the left lug tit from rubbing on the back of the barrel face. I do not machine a cone as is standard on the M 17 as it is not necessary and serves no purpose nor does it assist in feeding the cartridge. Notwithstanding what you may read do not machine /grind the bottom lug Just polish it Rigby used to do this on their Mausers in order to feed the 416 Rigby and after some time stopped doing this as there was evidence of receiver lug setback. If you must alter the action for larger cartridges like the 416 then the Bolt stop can be mofified and the rear of the mag well moved rearward.
Vaughn Gunthorpe
StephenG
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing