action screws

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

action screws

Post by Zappa » 02 Mar 2019, 10:07 pm

I removed the stock on my cz r/f to give the receiver a thorough clean. Two T30 screws is all that was needed to pull it out.

Now I dont know how tight they should be. The research I've done calls for 30 in-lbs.

How would one do that without an expensive micro-torque wrench ? Currently they're just snugged up using my thumb and index finger to turn the right-angle T30 key.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: action screws

Post by deye243 » 02 Mar 2019, 10:54 pm

In a wooden stock no pillars I never went over 12 to 15 inch lbs on a rim fire and never had a problem with accuracy or holding point , the biggest problem here's in wood compression and cz stocks are notorious for being soft .

And as for telling you how to do well that's a tough one all I can say is an inch lb is the force applyed to the bolt with the pressure applied 1 inch from the centre line of that bolt or screw so as an example 15 inch lbs is 15 lb 1 inch from the center of said screw .

So you can see from this the amount of damage that can happen when someone mixes inch with foot lbs .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: action screws

Post by Zappa » 03 Mar 2019, 6:09 am

deye243 wrote:And as for telling you how to do well that's a tough one all I can say is an inch lb is the force applyed to the bolt with the pressure applied 1 inch from the centre line of that bolt or screw so as an example 15 inch lbs is 15 lb 1 inch from the center of said screw .

You just gave me an idea deye243. I have one of those electronic hand-luggage scales and use it to pull down on the torx wrench. The torx wrench is about 6 inches long so theoretically, if may math is correct, i'll pull down on the scale until it registers 2.5lbs.

Im wondering whether I should get this rifle bedded and pillared as I'll be taking it out and swapping the barrels on occassion. What would the approx cost be to do something like this ?
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing