Replacing Tikka recoil lug worth it?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Replacing Tikka recoil lug worth it?

Post by inervate » 02 Feb 2014, 9:59 am

Hi folks,

Some might have seen HSS do a replacement recoil lug for Tikka's here - http://www.hss.net.au/product_info.php?products_id=1066

Doesn't really say what the advantage is on replacing them though...

Thoughts/explanation?
Weatherby Varmintmaster .224 Wby Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter Fluted 30-06
Marlin 57M Levermatic .22 Win Mag
inervate
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Replacing Tikka recoil lug worth it?

Post by Chronos » 02 Feb 2014, 11:05 am

The no. 1 reason to replace the factory recoil lug (which is aluminium) is because somebody, either the owner or the dealer has removed the action from the stock and replaced it incorrectly by using incorrect tension or not engaging it into the action slot. This leads to damage to the soft alloy lug by get can be filed and replaced upside down or back to front.

That said I own two of these stainless steel lugs which I purchased from john at Sterk who makes them and they are a quality item and i will fit not to my next tikka

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 02 Feb 2014, 11:40 am

From TikkaPerformance on their lugs...

The primary advantage of the Elite Series Recoil Lug is the additional strength of hardened 4140 steel absorbing the recoil of the rifle instead of the light-weight aluminum alloy Tikka uses. If you remove the recoil lug from your stock, you’ll see an upside down trapezoid appear over time. This dent eventually allows the action to move under recoil and degrades accuracy.

Our Elite Series Recoil Lug is also machined to a larger dimension, yet still fits in the factory stock. This tighter fit results in increased rigidity between the action and the stock. The increase in consistency of the rifle is amazing!
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by 5Tom » 03 Feb 2014, 11:26 pm

I got one and I guess it's an item that you would upgrade if you felt the lug was not in 100% good condition. I replaced mine because my lug got damaged due to improper action seating and affected accuracy.

Would I recommend to get one if there was no problem with the rifle? probably not.

Apparently Tikka rifles greater than .243 (with big recoil mostly) would be effected by the indentation on the recoil lug, but as Chronos said - Damage is due to improper seating and/or bolt tension.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SendIt » 04 Feb 2014, 8:11 am

For $35 bucks I suppose it's good piece of mind if your the kind of person who'll worry about not having done it.

They're apparently a slightly tighter fit too so increase stability a fraction.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by inervate » 16 Feb 2014, 6:33 pm

Thanks for replies guys.

I think I'll give it a go. For $35 it's not the end of the world if it doesn't do much. Dunno until you try...

If it tightens the action up a little then all the better. Not the same as bedding it but every bit counts and that's a tonne easier.

Cheers.
inervate
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by sha » 16 Apr 2014, 10:10 am

How'd you go inervate?

End up getting one?
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by inervate » 16 Apr 2014, 4:15 pm

I did get one... It's sitting on the bench waiting to be installed still :D
inervate
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing