Best datum area to use for Headspace measurement?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Best datum area to use for Headspace measurement?

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Mar 2019, 8:04 pm

I was saying that you were worried about all the technical aspects of resizing and how to set up your dies, and not to worry about this too much. If you did no sizing to your once fired brass and dented the neck so that it would hold your pill, you could shoot some impressive groups.

If you are looking for a COAL to start out with, I would use one that fits into your magizene. If you want to work out what is jam for your rifle, then back it off at least 20 thou.

I have never loaded for a Creedmoor but if I were to have a go I would use 2209 or 2208. The speed looks to be faster using 2209 but you may be able to cram a bit more 2208 in the case to make up the speed. For primers I would get some CCI BR4 if you are using small primer brass.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 10 Mar 2019, 7:24 am

What SCJ429 is trying to say is, keep it simple to start with. You could drown in information reference reloading. Get a primer, powder and projectile suitable for the cartridge and learn the basics. You will progress from there.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by cirles » 10 Mar 2019, 6:43 pm

SCJ429 & Bills Shed - Thanks guys for clearing that up & sounds like good advice not getting too information bogged at the beginning.
cirles
Private
Private

Western Australia

Return to Gunsmithing