Can't get that last bit of copper off the rifling

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Can't get that last bit of copper off the rifling

Post by huccl » 02 Feb 2014, 12:43 pm

Hi,

I'm after some advice on cleaning my .308.

I just can't seem to get that last bit of copper off the rifling.

Looking at the muzzle, it looks like there is a line of copper down the middle of the rifling.

I use patches of solvent, then the copper brush, then dry patch. Rinse and repeat till finish.

It all looks good except that last bit on the rifling which is problematic.

Any advice?
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Can't get that last bit of copper off the rifling

Post by Chronos » 02 Feb 2014, 1:01 pm

Can I ask what solvent you are using and your cleaning procedure? How long do you let it soak and the like

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 02 Feb 2014, 2:59 pm

Without knowing a little more (like what Chronos has asked for) I'd say it needs a bit more time for solvent to soak in.

Are you using a nylon brush too, to agitate the solvent? Or just a wet patch?

Off the cuff I'd say patch some oil through then use a nylon brush to foam it up. Leave it for 10 minutes and clean it out. Repeat as required.

Post your cleaning process though for some specific advise.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Apollo » 03 Feb 2014, 9:44 pm

Seems our OP has gone quiet and until he/she tells up what the cleaning resigme being used is then it's pretty hard to help with any advice.

I will just put in that over 50 years of shooting and cleaning firearms I have tried most products around. The more experience I gathered I realised that some cleaning solvents simply didn't work as described. Some of these discoveries were after trying other suggested products on what I or a froend thought was was clean bore.

Many years I used Hoppes products for carbon fouling and copper cleaning, realised they weren't doing the job. Used Sweets 7.62 for quite some time, messy and dangerous then discovered through Benchrest Shooting mates the Bore Tech range. Cleaned a bore with Sweets until I had not trace of copper, tried one of the Bore Tech products Eliminator and they eyes opened at the amount of extra copper being removed. Have not used Sweets since, too messy and way too much effort.

I have introduced many people to Bore Tech Eliminator who some have tried their other products. None have returned to anything they used beforhand.

Recently I have been running in yet another new Custom Target Grade Stainless Barrel, one shot rule until the copper fouling stops. This time I alternated with another product called Pro-Shot Copper Solvent and Pro-Shot One Step. Alternating I cannot see or find a trace of copper fouling in the bore or on any patch even after soaking as a test for an hour or two. Very impressive, the Pro-Shot might win as it's not a greasy on the cleaning rod and hands plus easier to wash out with Shellite I use between solvents, flush the bore before oiling, cleaning brushes etc.

I run an oily patch down the bore as soon as I can aftershooting, I then run two solvent coated patches (Bore Tech or Pro-Shot0 down the bore from Action to Muzzle, do not pull them back but then let soak for a few to several minutes then a few dry patches, repeat as necessay until all fouling is gone and flush with Shellite then dry. If going into storage a oily patch is used as the last operation.

I do not use Bronze Brushes in a Custom Stainless Target Barrel but a very tight special nylon brush after the initial cleaning to agitate the solvent. I do use Bronze Brushes in Chrome Steel Barrels though sometimes.

My Custom Barrels in general have stopped fouling (copper) as little as 5 rounds to in one case 15 rounds but in general from there I can fire many dozen rounds with little fouling other than carbon powder residue showing and then it takes but a few patches to complete cleaning. I have not yet resorted to Moly Coated Bullets to reduce barrel fouling. With normal bullets in one custom barrel I can fire up to 50-70 rounds before I notice any change in accuracy. At the end of a day it has the first two patches of solvent pushed through and left to soak until I get home.

I use only pre-cut patches, square & round depending on the job. Square aren't as tight so for pushing solvent down the bore. Round for cleaning after solvent and especially after working a nylon brush back and forth numerous times.

I use Tetra Gun Lubricant (Oil) to pre flush and store my barrels after use.

I use Bore Tech or Pro-Shot Grease in a tube to protect the qorking face of my Bolt Locking Lugs.

As a last comment I have a lot of my firearms checked by my Gunsmith with a Bore Scope when I visit and he has time. Most comments are about how little wear, especiall throat wear the exibit. I most definately do not use so called hot loads but always pick the low accuracy node which many find is the most consistant year through for consistant accuracy. Hunting, Varminting or Target it works for me so please excuse me.... My resigme may not please others.

I've only been at this for 50 odd years. I talk with and compare notes with some of our best shooters from hunting to benchrest.

Sorry, I don't play F-Class or Full Bore myself yet but my Gunsmiths do.

Hope this little rant helps some people, especially those new to the game.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by huccl » 05 Feb 2014, 8:34 am

Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply, I'm still here but don't get much time to get on the shooting forum.

My rifle cleaning process is

1) Run a solvent patch back and forth through the barrel. I'm not using a jag tip, I'm using the other one with the loop that you thread the patch through.

2) I run a nylon brush back and forth through the barrel.

3) Run a brass rifle brush back and forth.

4) Run dry patch back and forth, and swap out patches till the last one come out clean.

The rest of the barrel looks good as far as I can tell and has no build up. It's just the rifling that I can see at the muzzle end that I can't get right.
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by huccl » 05 Feb 2014, 8:36 am

I don't have the name of the cleaning stuff I'm using handy, I will post it tonight though.

Thanks for all the input everyone.
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 05 Feb 2014, 8:42 am

huccl wrote:Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply, I'm still here but don't get much time to get on the shooting forum.

My rifle cleaning process is

1) Run a solvent patch back and forth through the barrel. I'm not using a jag tip, I'm using the other one with the loop that you thread the patch through.

2) I run a nylon brush back and forth through the barrel.

3) Run a brass rifle brush back and forth.

4) Run dry patch back and forth, and swap out patches till the last one come out clean.

The rest of the barrel looks good as far as I can tell and has no build up. It's just the rifling that I can see at the muzzle end that I can't get right.

Sounds to me like you're using a powder/carbon solvent like hoppes no 9 which will remove tafe carbon from the bore but will do little to remove copper.

Copper solvents tend to indicate the presence of copper by staining your patches blue.

It's also important to follow the solvents instructions as far as how long to leave it in the bore. Too short and it won't have the necessary time got the chemical reaction to occur. Too long and some solvents can begin attacking the bore

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by loopal » 05 Feb 2014, 9:03 am

Can't say that I'm a rifle cleaning expert, but I'm also using the Bore Tech cleaning stuff and on't have any problems getting clean rifling.
loopal
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by huccl » 06 Feb 2014, 9:53 am

So I'm using Pro-Shot copper solvent if you guys know the one?

This is it - Pro-Shot copper solvent
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Phaine » 06 Feb 2014, 10:14 am

I'm using Pro-Shot solvent too on my barrel with no problems.

Just FYI it's stainless if that matters.
Phaine
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing