the way I full length size

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

the way I full length size

Post by marksman » 10 Mar 2019, 9:37 pm

there's been a few questions of late related to full length sizing and checking headspace so I thought it might help if I quickly show how I set up my cases when full length sizing

firstly I take the case measurement, 83.02mm, I know sh!t photo but I'm in a hurry :oops:

then I take the firing pin out of my bolt so I can check the fit of the case in the chamber without resistance

I then check the fit of the case in the chamber

the bolt will not close on it's own but is not hard to close, the case is the same measurement as my dasher go gauge

I keep adjusting the fls die in small increments to set the die to bring the measurement back 2 thou/ .05mm smaller than the first measurement
I got 82.96mm, close enough for me

then check the case fit in the chamber

the bolt falls down with the 2 thou smaller measurement
this is the way I set up my fls die :thumbsup: my cases last a long time :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: the way I full length size

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Mar 2019, 9:06 pm

Appreciate you taking the time to post this up - it answers a few questions I didn’t know/think to ask as well.
Cheers MM!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 12 Mar 2019, 4:17 pm

Good stuff Marksman...nice of you to share the info... :thumbsup:

So how often you FL size...? (assume you neck size inbetween... :unknown: )

If neck sizing, do you FL size all cases when only one case gets a little bitey when chambering, or do you wait until a number of them get a little tight...?

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 13 Mar 2019, 10:40 am

this is after 5 shots each case and how I will be sizing from now on Stix,
with the firing pin assembled into the bolt there is no felt resistance when closing the bolt on the cases before sizing
I will fls with a forster 6mm dasher die then I expand the neck with a 6mm k&m neck expander that brings my loaded round to a 2 thou grip
I use the same 6mm dasher die and setting for my 22 dasher although after full length sizing I neck size with a wilson 22 dasher die my smith made out of a 6mm br die with my reamer when I had the barrel chambered

I'm trying to get consistency so want the cases exactly the same every time they are chambered instead of fls, when they grow fls again
I would suggest doing this when needed or be micro like me and do minimal sizing every time

you notice my new word :lol: micro instead of @nal :lol: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 17 Mar 2019, 8:43 am

marksman wrote:I use the same 6mm dasher die and setting for my 22 dasher although after full length sizing I neck size with a wilson 22 dasher die my smith made out of a 6mm br die with my reamer when I had the barrel chambered

How did you smith modify the 6mm dies? Do you put a stainless plug in the neck area and ream it out?

I used a 6mm FL bushing die and use a smaller bushing for 22BR.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 17 Mar 2019, 10:52 am

I gave him my wilson 6mm br neck bushing die and my 22 dasher reamer and he gave me back a 22 dasher die that I use the smaller .238 bushing for a tight .242 neck :thumbsup:
I'm under the impression that he put the die into the lathe and reamed it out :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 17 Mar 2019, 11:45 am

Hey Marksman...so "micro" is to replace "anal" hey... :unknown: :) :thumbsup:

While both of those terms are easier to type than "thorough", its still easiest to type "OCD" in my book... :lol:

So anyway,
with regard to the firing pin...whats your suggestion with rifles where the ejector is just plain too much hassle to remove, such as the Tikka's...?

Is it worth still removing the firing pin & after initially chambering the case, back it out of the chamber somewhat & then re-chamber feeling for the contact...?

Personally, ive tried this a while ago with 2 Tikka's & found it not worth the effort to do because i just ended up with a 2 thou bump anyway...(i dont seem to remember the feel being vastly different with or without the pin, once the extractor was over the head of the case...? :unknown: )

Just curious on your thoughts...obviously im not shooting as well as you, or for that matter shooting with tight necked custom chambered barrels...but im still curious what you suggest for these type rifles (bolts with this extractor set-up) with "loose/er" factory chambers, or if there's anything i can do to get my bump more accurate....?

The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Gunsmithing