what problems with rebarreling Sako mod 85 22-250

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: what problems with rebarreling Sako mod 85 22-250

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Mar 2019, 8:09 pm

On the assumption that this is not a sentimental piece that you want to be able to breathe new life into,,,,,
Why not, now,,,,, while it's still shooting pretty good,,,,,, advertise it and sell it.
Being a Sako, they aren't hard to find a buyer,,,,,,,,,,, and what you get for it, put towards a brand new one.

Then you can have a night cap, and dream happy dreams without worrying.

All the talk thus far about $$$ for barrel blank ,,, $$$ for gunsmith,, etc etc,,,,,,, Surely (pardon the pun) biting the bullet and going new would be
the best option of the lot ?
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Mar 2019, 12:23 am

Yes probably DJ but the stock has been shortened to fit me ( short arms) and a week after i bought the rifle the clear started to lift so i don't think i'd get what its worth shes been a work horse i could do some maintenence on her and bring her back to new i suppose all the steel work doesn't even have a mark on it it's like new
Sheeesh decissions
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Mar 2019, 12:53 pm

Yes probably DJ but the stock has been shortened to fit me ( short arms) and a week after i bought the rifle the clear started to lift so i don't think i'd get what its worth

See your " Dealer " and once explained what your trying to achieve, advertise and sell your oldie with the new stock, and keep your own.
If the steel work on the oldie is in really good nick, that would go hand in hand with a new stock to make it REALLY presentable, and get you a GOOD price.

Just change the stock for the photo session only until you make the sale, then go ahead with the new purchase and final stock swap.

Any dealer seeing a new sale as a result would work with you. :thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Mar 2019, 12:58 pm

Yeah DJ i might try something like that it would make the old barrel and breech look the part aswell
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 26 Mar 2019, 7:42 pm

I just checked one of my #6 contours at 24" and its 21mm so pretty close
the #6 contour is a light weight target, definitely a varmint style shoot off a rest or prone barrel
the #5 contour is a light weight varmint and the standard varmint is a #7 contour

this is a shilen #7 varmint barrel, stainless but pot belly black painted

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Mar 2019, 10:15 pm

Nice looking unit mate stock is a humdinger what brand is it
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 27 Mar 2019, 8:00 am

its a richards microfit benchmark style :drinks:
it took me two goes and about 5 full days to shape it

it does really dress up the old mauser 98 and this shoots 1 hole all day
it is a rifle to camp prone with but you can shoot animals at 300 very comfortably
I have stretched it out much further but decided that it was better to try and get closer
the longer shots are now targets :thumbsup:

this was the last longer shot at 650

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Mar 2019, 9:22 am

Hey Marksman,,,,,,,,,,
That is one very classy stock Mate.

I like it,,,,,,,,,,, I like it a lot. :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing