Cleaning barrel crown

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Cleaning barrel crown

Post by gherx » 06 Feb 2014, 12:45 pm

Hi all,

I noticed on my rifle today while cleaning it something I'd previously overlooked which is the crown.

Previously I just work the brush in and out so a thin ring of gunk has built up around the end.

Am I good to just use a scouring brush or something similar to keep that clean? Something abrasive but relatively soft?

I don't want to leave the ring in case of corrosion but don't wanna scratch up the crown by using the wrong thing either.

Advice?
gherx
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Cleaning barrel crown

Post by Baldrick314 » 06 Feb 2014, 12:57 pm

I wipe my crown at the end of each cleaning session to avoid exactly this situation. I wouldn't use anything abrasive. Try some cleaning liquid on a rag and wipe the crown and allow the fluid to soak in then give it a bit harder of a wipe. The crud should come straight off. If you've already tried that then I've got nothing for you :lol:
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Feb 2014, 7:40 am

After a big cull night I just get a old toothbrush & the smallest dab of sweets. Never had an issue
Member-Deleted

Post by The Brass » 07 Feb 2014, 1:25 pm

Elbow grease is the trick.

Use your cleaning stuff and a cloth, toothbrush is a good idea too... Rub vigorously...

You're right to avoid anything that would scratch it.
The Brass
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing