RUST!

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

RUST!

Post by Cal-ApeR » 02 Apr 2019, 3:58 pm

Hey all, if this is in the wrong topic, feel free to move it or kill it.

This question has popped up many times over the years but am keen for everyone's input and what works for them.

A quick story, recently went out on a trip to drought affected Qld. Absolute dust bowl. Was a successful trip but very dry. Anyway, upon returning, I did my usual clean of the bore, action etc. I removed the stock and gave the whole action and barrel a good wipe down with oil. I continually kept getting brown patches. To me it looked like the rusty colour that many have seen but there is not any visible rust on the metal. Infact, the blueing looks perfect still. I wiped with ballistol several times and dried several times. In the end the patches had less Brown/rust but it was still there.

Anyway, I did my best and reoiled everything and then placed inside the silicone bags (I swear these things work really well). Not really worried but curious as to whether this is rust or dust.

Curious to know what antirust regimes work for some. I live in humidity and rusting / pitting seems a problem with my mates but not for me. Silicone bags? Also interested in what people do with their bolts.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: RUST!

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Apr 2019, 6:11 pm

Umm,,, where is the "rust".
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JSS » 02 Apr 2019, 6:58 pm

This might sound stupid but are you sure it wasn't just the fine red dust which is fairly common in outback Qld. It's like talcum powder and gets absolutely f@rking everywhere. It would look like rust stains on an oily cloth. :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Apr 2019, 7:05 pm

Sounds like very fine rust forming on your bluing. I've seen this before on dry firearms, not noticeable until you run a cleaning patch over the Outside and see the oxide stain on the cloth.

Regular oiling just as you did is a great start.

Don't be afraid to use something not firearms specific on the outside. Lanolin us great as a rust protector in extreme environments but keep it away from the trigger mechanism, bore and other internals as it will gun things up, It will also attract dust so you'll still need to strip and clean just as before.... but it's hard to beat for long term rust protection.
CRC long life anti rust is awsome if you can get your hands on some, its safe everywhere on your firearm. (Weapons/Guns CRC Longlife is manufactured to exceed U.S. military specifcations for weapons maintenance ordinances. Spray inside the barrel and into gun mechanisms, inpregnates and protects timber)

Another of my favorites is G96, it's a bit lighter, SMELLS AWSOME , dries to a light oil,

As for bolts, I strip mine once a year and use a light gun oil internally, a sparing amount of molybdenum disulfide on my cam lobe and lug faces and a light smear of PH Zinc Oxide Grease over the rest of the Outside bolt surfaces.
The zink grease is slick and doesn't attract dirt or dust due to its magical properties.

The molly grease is great for high pressure areas, works a a dry lube if it dries out and inpregnates the steel with slick moly for long lasting protection well after the surfaces are neglected.

The ultimate for exterior rust protection is cerakote.
I had one rifle done and it's rust proof on the outside. Money well spent in my opinion.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Cal-ApeR » 02 Apr 2019, 7:55 pm

On one wheel - that is exactly how it is. No matter how much I would wipe clean, I'd keep getting more rust looking stuff on my cloth. I'll check out the bolt grease you speak of.

JSS, not a stupid question. I did think it was just dust not it doesn't stop. Keep appearing. Will just keep the cleaning and oil upto it and see how I go.

Old fella, what are you thinking?
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Apr 2019, 9:14 pm

I find a wipe over with some grease stops rust. It doesn't migrate away like light oils do over time.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Apr 2019, 9:35 pm

I like Lanox for keeping rust at bay.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Apr 2019, 4:44 am

Eas wpndering if it was on the bore? Some have confused copper with rust.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 03 Apr 2019, 6:14 am

Some oils have a greater propensity to oxidise than others.
When they do, generally, they attain a brownish hue that on a patch or cloth can easily be misinterpreted as being tainted with rust.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Apr 2019, 10:20 am

What oil are you using exactly Cal?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Cal-ApeR » 03 Apr 2019, 8:01 pm

Been using ballistol. Use hoppes in the bore typically. The rust or whatever it is only presents after wiping down outside of the barrel.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 04 Apr 2019, 8:07 am

You can also use stuff like dubbin that would normally be used on shoes. Also Jayel a leather product it is beeswax and oils. It will adhear a bit more to the barrel. If you want to spend money there is also the gun wax it is exactly the same stuff as I just mentioned.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Gunsmithing