Cut down barrel for shotty

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Cut down barrel for shotty

Post by AlphaGenesys » 07 Feb 2014, 9:24 am

Gday all,

I was thinking about cutting down a single shot shotgun barrle to make it shorter and lighter.

Is this legal to do if it is still over 750mm, what would the way to go about it? Get a smith to do it?

And what would be the cons of doing this?

Regards,
Zak
Savage mark II .22LR , EG71 .22LR, Lithgow model 1B .22lr, Rossi circuit judge .44mag, Mossberg 417 .17hmr
AlphaGenesys
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: cut down barrle for shotty

Post by Chronos » 07 Feb 2014, 10:26 am

I looked at doing something similar a while back.

The problem is choking the new section of barrel. Generally the new crown will be too thin to thread for removable chokes and will therefor have no choke.

Best you speak to a gunsmith as the cost of what's involved may well be more than a used coach gun

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 07 Feb 2014, 2:04 pm

I was thinking something along these lines recently but hit a road block when I found this...

WEAPONS ACT 1990 - SECT 61

61 Shortening firearms
A person must not, without reasonable excuse—

(a) shorten a firearm; or
(b) possess a firearm that has been shortened; or
(c) acquire or sell a firearm that has been shortened.

Not sure what constitutes a "reasonable excuse" at this point. As far as I can tell the weapons act doesn't provide examples of what's reasonable.

You need to speak with a shop I expect.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 07 Feb 2014, 2:15 pm

Bourt wrote:I was thinking something along these lines recently but hit a road block when I found this...

WEAPONS ACT 1990 - SECT 61

61 Shortening firearms
A person must not, without reasonable excuse—

(a) shorten a firearm; or
(b) possess a firearm that has been shortened; or
(c) acquire or sell a firearm that has been shortened.

Not sure what constitutes a "reasonable excuse" at this point. As far as I can tell the weapons act doesn't provide examples of what's reasonable.

You need to speak with a shop I expect.

I think you'll find that "shortened" refers to a barrel that is shorter than the minimum barrel length 16.5" I think.

I spoke to my gunsmith about this question a while back and he said I could recrown my .22 no worries.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 08 Feb 2014, 11:31 am

Western action guys do it all the time, as well as other mods, to make a coachguns. I think is has to be done by a gunsmith and there are minimum lengths etc. I've also heard of a double barrel 410 that was turned into a pistol, for CAS. So anythings possible, just make sure it's legal, best person to ask is a gunsmith, registry will just say no. Most of the shots at western action are quite close and chokes aren't really necessary. It's all about speed. You'll find it hard to sell a shortened single, and it won't be very accurate and the shorter barrel will be a lot noisier.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Bourt » 09 Feb 2014, 8:46 pm

Chronos wrote:I think you'll find that "shortened" refers to a barrel that is shorter than the minimum barrel length 16.5" I think.

I spoke to my gunsmith about this question a while back and he said I could recrown my .22 no worries.

You may well be right. I got as far as that and haven't been in a rush to get it done so the project went on the back burner.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Cut down barrel for shotty

Post by Seconds » 09 Feb 2014, 8:52 pm

As far as cons go... You're shot pattern will change, chokes could be an issue like Chronos said, or neither of those things might matter at all to you.

It really depends on what you want to do with it?

What are you shooting? Or is it just for fun/experience in doing a little project shotty?
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AlphaGenesys » 10 Feb 2014, 10:31 pm

Seconds wrote:As far as cons go... You're shot pattern will change, chokes could be an issue like Chronos said, or neither of those things might matter at all to you.

It really depends on what you want to do with it?

What are you shooting? Or is it just for fun/experience in doing a little project shotty?

Just something to experience. Bit of fun. Who said the yanks can have all the fun :p
Savage mark II .22LR , EG71 .22LR, Lithgow model 1B .22lr, Rossi circuit judge .44mag, Mossberg 417 .17hmr
AlphaGenesys
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by pucker » 11 Feb 2014, 2:11 pm

There toys just shoot faster ;)
pucker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Seconds » 11 Feb 2014, 2:14 pm

AlphaGenesys wrote:Just something to experience. Bit of fun. Who said the yanks can have all the fun :p

if that's the case I'd say go for it mate. (while confirming all legal requirements obviously...)

There's no substitute for first hand experience.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Fujix » 11 Feb 2014, 2:48 pm

Seconds wrote:There's no substitute for first hand experience.

What about reading it on the internet and then repeating it like you know what you're talking about?
Barrett M82 .50 calibre... Ok, not really :(
Fujix
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by AlphaGenesys » 12 Feb 2014, 7:49 am

Fujix wrote:
What about reading it on the internet and then repeating it like you know what you're talking about?

That will make you a internet commando. This will be a project that can be put on hold till I got my 30-30.

Thanks for the help guys.
AlphaGenesys
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Seconds » 12 Feb 2014, 10:02 am

Fujix wrote:What about reading it on the internet and then repeating it like you know what you're talking about?

:lol:

Yeah, my bad.

As you know everything on the net is completely 100% proven and just by reading it you can become an expert on all things. Feel free to do this then talk down to people for not knowing something you read yourself 5 seconds ago :lol:

First hand experience is a close second then :D
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing