occasional misfire in akkar churchill

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

occasional misfire in akkar churchill

Post by waytom » 19 Apr 2019, 10:21 am

I bought an Akkar Churchill combo, 2nd hand but like new condition, and last week went to NLMCTC to check out its pattern, and it had a couple of misfires in the lower barrel. The ammo I was using was 28gm Champion 1300. The primers had the faintest indent on them and someone suggest I re-shoot them through the top barrel and of course they went bang without fail. This points to a hammer problem, so does anyone know how to fix this or can suggest a good gunsmith to take it to. Any help appreciated.
Shoot straight, shoot safe , regards Wayne.
waytom
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: occasional misfire in akkar churchill

Post by marksman » 20 Apr 2019, 12:49 pm

sounds to me like the firing pin needs to be looked at :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by magnum012 » 21 Apr 2019, 4:05 pm

Hey mate, I have one that does the same thing. I’ve had it apart and tried my hardest to figure out what was wrong. I cleaned and lubed all the right parts. To the best of my knowledge it’s an inherent flaw. Mine has shot a little over 100 rounds and the action has run in so it opens nicer and locks up like a nice car door.
I noticed some primers are seated very deeply and it doesn’t like them, but dry firing when disassembled seemed to randomly produce a shorter firing pin protrusion at times.
I noticed the angles that the firing pin mechanism had to work on were very drag inducing on the (I think) bottom one and would benefit from a polish and some moly grease.
Just greasing it with a light grease did improve it a lot, but I haven’t used it for years so I can’t remember if it fully solved it.
magnum012
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by waytom » 21 Apr 2019, 5:32 pm

marksman wrote:sounds to me like the firing pin needs to be looked at :unknown:

Possibly, but scratching my head as to why it is intermittent
waytom
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by waytom » 21 Apr 2019, 5:38 pm

magnum012 wrote:Hey mate, I have one that does the same thing. I’ve had it apart and tried my hardest to figure out what was wrong. I cleaned and lubed all the right parts. To the best of my knowledge it’s an inherent flaw. Mine has shot a little over 100 rounds and the action has run in so it opens nicer and locks up like a nice car door.
I noticed some primers are seated very deeply and it doesn’t like them, but dry firing when disassembled seemed to randomly produce a shorter firing pin protrusion at times.
I noticed the angles that the firing pin mechanism had to work on were very drag inducing on the (I think) bottom one and would benefit from a polish and some moly grease.
Just greasing it with a light grease did improve it a lot, but I haven’t used it for years so I can’t remember if it fully solved it.

It's just a bit weird, the guy I bought it from reckons he's fired less than 200 rounds through it and the break action was still very stiff so I do believe him, but yeah I'm hoping a bit of a clean and grease might help, I'll keep you posted. Cheers.
waytom
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by magnum012 » 22 Apr 2019, 1:19 am

No worries waytom , when I get back from holidays I should take it out and try it out, it’s been sitting so long I’ve forgotten if it actually fixed the problem.
magnum012
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Gunsmithing