Cleaning a rifle

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Cleaning a rifle

Post by pomemax » 20 Apr 2019, 2:20 pm

Hi
I joke around a lot about cleaning my firearms saying things "what you have to clean them and such" but I realy am a fastidious cleaner .
Recently I bought a bore scope from the US and started to look down the bores man was that a shock .
My question is how many people have looked down the bore with a scope and if you do did you get a shock first time .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Re: Cleaning a rifle

Post by Apollo » 20 Apr 2019, 2:52 pm

Well, do you actually know what you are looking at...??

A friend is a Gunsmith, with many many years of experience and a bit my senior too so I hope I don't loose him soon. I get him to check a bore now and again when I visit and one of his famous sayings is "A Bore Scope in the wrong hands is a dangerous weapon" meaning, you really need a lot of experience to know what you are looking at.

I though of buying one but lost that idea a long time ago, all I need is someone who knows what they are looking at every now and again to tell me what I want to know. Not interested in looking at dirt, dust, etc.

Only thing I'm told is to make sure there is no oil in the bore if I want him to look, he doesn't want crap on the lens of his expensive bore scope.

Most times he checks from both ends, chamber then muzzle. He also admits that what he sees that looks like a well worn throat end really doesn't mean much as far as accuracy wise. Many a barrel looks like it's on it's last legs but is as accurate as hell.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 20 Apr 2019, 3:59 pm

That's what i found too looking down a .22 norinco its as clean as lands and groves very defined but the rifle is totally inaccurate my old Parker hale 243 40 years old at least has a real carbon build up in the groves not on the lands but I am loathed to clean it might spoil its accuracy its a real eye opener looking down the barrel tho
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 20 Apr 2019, 4:21 pm

pomemax wrote:That's what i found too looking down a .22 norinco its as clean as lands and groves very defined but the rifle is totally inaccurate my old Parker hale 243 40 years old at least has a real carbon build up in the groves not on the lands but I am loathed to clean it might spoil its accuracy its a real eye opener looking down the barrel tho

Why you would ever think of cleaning a .22LR is beyond me, they don't shoot when clean. A Norinco well, that's a story on it's own. Had one many years ago and the reason was that it was the Ute Gun, never left the Ute. Times changed, can't do that any more. BTW, my Brno Model 2 which I don't clean will give any custom target rifle a run for it's money. Tested that at 200 Yards in a State Title Shoot.

So, you admit it. Waste of money looking down the bore. You have solved nothing.... :sarcasm:

Close your eyes and just shoot them, when accuracy drops off maybe have a look.

Just enjoy.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 20 Apr 2019, 5:27 pm

No i was looking in them for comparison a norinco yer i call it the tomato stake
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Apr 2019, 7:46 pm

It is a good education to know what is going on in there. It convinced me that a regular polish with JB bore paste was worthwhile.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 20 Apr 2019, 9:25 pm

SCJ429 wrote:It is a good education to know what is going on in there. It convinced me that a regular polish with JB bore paste was worthwhile.

+1 you farken betcha :thumbsup: :drinks:
especially the first 3 inches
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 Apr 2019, 10:04 pm

Sorry to hear your Norcs don't shot, both of mine outshoot my Brno 2E even if I swap the bolts around, (can do that with ease between the JW25 and the 2E), even give my No 8 a run for the money. As for borescopes, a very useful tool, but as Apollo pointed out you need to know what you are looking at and what the effects may be, a case in point is an old Cooey 75 I bought after the previous owner used a boresope to discover why he felt a bump when patching the barrel and discovered it was ringed, couldn't wait to offload it to me. Most accurate 22 I own out to about 80 meters, as Apollo said, just enjoy! Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 20 Apr 2019, 11:30 pm

'So, you admit it. Waste of money looking down the bore. You have solved nothing....' no not at all i find it interesting as to the differences in what I expected in 50 odd years of owning firearms I would have thought a .22 would be waxed but pristine last time it may have been cleaned was in the late 90 s but the Parker hale clean every time I Use it may need to change my cleaning methods for the other 25 I have .
JB bore paste i have watched some YouTube clips on that stuff any good in your opinion for removing carbon
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 Apr 2019, 5:25 am

pomemax wrote:Hi
I joke around a lot about cleaning my firearms saying things "what you have to clean them and such" but I realy am a fastidious cleaner .
Recently I bought a bore scope from the US and started to look down the bores man was that a shock .
My question is how many people have looked down the bore with a scope and if you do did you get a shock first time .

No harm in having a look, but don't expect to learn anything useful from it until you have examined an awful lot of bores, to learn what things do and don't affect accuracy. The best way to know if your bore needs cleaning is simply to shoot it and see if it's still accurate - the result at the target is after all the reason you have the firearm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 21 Apr 2019, 8:58 am

autosol is another paste like JB bore paste that wont hurt your bore

mainly concentrate around the throat

it is probably the best way to get rid of carbon, if you put a tight patch down the bore slowly, if you can feel the drag then it will slip nicely
the drag is the carbon, after using the JB it will feel slick all the way down, its an occasional thing I do
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 23 Apr 2019, 5:23 am

There’s a lot of other uses for bore scopes and attachments...looking behind walls or checking out water leaks...I’ve used a similar device to look for electrical faults in a caravan...
Some joker at a party I went to one night, rigged up his with an wide angled lens and blue toothed to an iPad on the door of his toilet so anyone who sat down was staring at their bung hole on the back of the door - very, very upsetting to some ppl who didn’t realise what they were looking at...same result I imagine, as looking down a note for the first time.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by straightshooter » 23 Apr 2019, 7:23 am

The mere possession of a tool does not make you an artisan or an expert.
Knowing how, when and why you use it might.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing