.17 Remington Project Rifle

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: .17 Remington Project Rifle

Post by GQshayne » 12 Oct 2019, 7:40 pm

DSCN1173.JPG
DSCN1173.JPG (1.73 MiB) Viewed 6853 times

Here is the target that has the 3 shot group on it. The other holes were load variations, that were obviously not as good! Not bad for a sporter in less than ideal wind conditions. And I am not much of a target shooter either. So having achieved that group that is the job done for me. Hopefully when fitted to the new stock it will shoot the same.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 12 Oct 2019, 7:52 pm

DSCN1159.JPG
DSCN1159.JPG (1.85 MiB) Viewed 6851 times

First job was to do a bit of inletting, and then bed the new stock to the barrel and action. But the previous stock owner had refinished it at some stage, and the inside had a good coat of what I suspect was Tru Oil. So I figured it had to go first, so I stripped the stock fully, which I was going to do eventually anyway. It was an ok job, but it could be better.

DSCN1160.JPG
DSCN1160.JPG (2.22 MiB) Viewed 6851 times

Given the stocks were bot short action stocks I expected them to be the same, and that it would fit straight away, but that was not the case. More work then I expected, but it the end it fits nicely.

DSCN1161.JPG
DSCN1161.JPG (2.18 MiB) Viewed 6851 times

DSCN1162.JPG
DSCN1162.JPG (2.05 MiB) Viewed 6851 times

This is my bedding method, using JB Weld. No doubt there are other opinions on how it should be done, but for a sporter I think this is ok.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 13 Oct 2019, 1:17 pm

Have done the same thing with a howa 308 and the difference it made was amazing
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 13 Oct 2019, 1:29 pm

Love that stock GQshayne... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 13 Oct 2019, 7:07 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Have done the same thing with a howa 308 and the difference it made was amazing

When I was researching how to DIY bedding for my last job, I saw a lot of guys doing BIG jobs - either pillars or the entire action filled with epoxy. And then I came across an older gent in his gunsmithing shop, who showed the above method, and explained why he did it this way. He said that if it is fixed at the front and fixed at the rear, then filling the middle with epoxy did not achieve anything. To illustrate his point, he showed a factory bedding job on a high grade rifle - this is how the factory did it. On a sporter rather than a benchrest rifle I reckoned that was good enough for me. The previous stock on this rifle was bedded the exact same way by a previous owner or gunsmith.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 13 Oct 2019, 7:21 pm

Stix wrote:Love that stock GQshayne... :thumbsup:

It is quite good. Not quite as nice as my other Tikka Deluxe, but still very good. They are all individual of course. The general condition is good too. The few dents and scratches I can fix. And a bit better finish on it will be good. Previous job looked to be Tru Oil done exactly as per instructions, which I have found to give an "ok" result. I saw it done on YouTube by many others, and my first efforts turned out not much better. But there is nothing wrong with the product, it is just the application. I have done 3 stocks with it now, and a slightly different method in applying it makes a big difference in the result. I tried using a "rubbed" method, basically applying it like car polish, which other products use - put it on with a soft cloth and rub until dry and then move on, but the Tru Oil did not like that at all! It went sticky almost straight away and just smeared and streaked. No good. But using the soft cloth as an applicator give a much smoother finish, so the trick was just apply it lightly and not rub it. Light coats applied with a cloth give a finish with very good even coverage and no lumps or bumps, and no build up in the chequering.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 13 Oct 2019, 7:35 pm

GQshayne wrote:
AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Have done the same thing with a howa 308 and the difference it made was amazing

When I was researching how to DIY bedding for my last job, I saw a lot of guys doing BIG jobs - either pillars or the entire action filled with epoxy. And then I came across an older gent in his gunsmithing shop, who showed the above method, and explained why he did it this way. He said that if it is fixed at the front and fixed at the rear, then filling the middle with epoxy did not achieve anything. To illustrate his point, he showed a factory bedding job on a high grade rifle - this is how the factory did it. On a sporter rather than a benchrest rifle I reckoned that was good enough for me. The previous stock on this rifle was bedded the exact same way by a previous owner or gunsmith.

very good advice and your bedding job looks very good
if like with mauser 98's the rear tang has a piller from factory or you put one in yourself there is no need to bed the tang unless the fit is not a good one
IMHO you are doing a great job with the rifle and the barrel has come up in good order
that 3 shot group is all you need :thumbsup: :drinks:
good on you for having a crack at it :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 13 Oct 2019, 7:43 pm

DSCN1167.JPG
DSCN1167.JPG (2.25 MiB) Viewed 6208 times

A bit of touching up with the stripper was needed. Interesting the previous finish did not bubble up like I have seen previously. Strange.

DSCN1168.JPG
DSCN1168.JPG (1.96 MiB) Viewed 6208 times

My new Ryobi linisher. Handy for this job.

DSCN1169.JPG
DSCN1169.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 6208 times

This is a Limbsaver "grind to fit" recoil pad. With common rifles you can buy pads that fit perfectly, but not for mine. This pad gives a very nice result, just a lot more work! :problem: I have used one before, so knew what I was up for, hence the linisher. I used a different method this time, and ground it to shape when fitted to the stock. Obviously you have to be very careful this way, but getting the profile to match the stock is much easier. So slow and steady is the go. I needed a 220-240 belt to finish it, but only found a 120 at Bunnings, so I had to finish it off by hand. More work! :crazy:

DSCN1170.JPG
DSCN1170.JPG (2.21 MiB) Viewed 6208 times

DSCN1171.JPG
DSCN1171.JPG (2.32 MiB) Viewed 6208 times

Recoil pad turned out well, so now on to the stock. After a light sand a good steaming, it came up pretty clean. A few dings in it were able to be removed, so now it will need sanding with various grades of paper and then finished off with 0000 steel wool before the Tru Oil can be applied. Some time consuming work now, to be done when time permits.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 13 Oct 2019, 7:45 pm

marksman wrote:
GQshayne wrote:

very good advice and your bedding job looks very good
if like with mauser 98's the rear tang has a piller from factory or you put one in yourself there is no need to bed the tang unless the fit is not a good one
IMHO you are doing a great job with the rifle and the barrel has come up in good order
that 3 shot group is all you need :thumbsup: :drinks:
good on you for having a crack at it :thumbsup:

Thanks Marksman - so far so good! :drinks:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 21 Oct 2019, 8:11 pm

Stock has had a lot of work, and is now getting the final coats of oil. Looking good I reckon.

But there is one problem that I am yet to fix. I am not liking the factory bolt knob.

DSCN1174.JPG
DSCN1174.JPG (2.23 MiB) Viewed 6192 times

DSCN1175.JPG
DSCN1175.JPG (2.26 MiB) Viewed 6192 times

Here is my LSA55 bolt, which is much better. It is one piece, where the M55 has the plastic knob that screws on.

DSCN1176.JPG
DSCN1176.JPG (2.21 MiB) Viewed 6192 times

So the plastic knob needs to be deposited in the rubbish bin, and a nice replacement fitted instead. Some googling turned up nothing I wanted to fit, so I will have to make something. Hopefully, whatever I make wont end up in the bin as well. :roll:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 27 Oct 2019, 7:09 pm

Commencement of custom made handles (two). I made a prototype as an experiment to see what I could do, with what tools I have - no lathe. So it has to be done by hand. So that rules out a couple of ideas, as they were too hard to make. Prototype was ok, so Dad asked me to make him one as well. Having decided on a method, I am using an old gidgee fence post as the donor for the timber. It is prevalent in the west where I learned to hunt as a boy, so I have preferred it to something else for sentimental reasons. I think also it will look good, as it is as hard as stone and has a very tight dark grain.

DSCN1181.JPG
DSCN1181.JPG (2.1 MiB) Viewed 6163 times

In order to have a thread in it, I have filled a hole with JB Weld, so that it can be drilled and tapped to suit the bolt handle.

DSCN1182.JPG
DSCN1182.JPG (2.05 MiB) Viewed 6163 times

DSCN1183.JPG
DSCN1183.JPG (2.1 MiB) Viewed 6163 times

So far two prototypes are going in the bin, but the other two are looking good so far. Ready for oiling now.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 27 Oct 2019, 7:40 pm

very clever :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 28 Oct 2019, 9:20 pm

marksman wrote:very clever :thumbsup:

Thanks. I had a look to try and just buy one, but I am not keen on the "tactical" style of stuff which is most of what I saw for sale. None of it was any better than the plastic knob I wanted to replace. :problem:

And then I spotted a Blaser timber bolt handle. I did not see another one on any other brand of rifle at all, but of course many owners would have done it, I just did not see one with my googling. Without a lathe at my disposal, I had to think about what I could make too, so steel was out. But timber was a good idea I thought, so a dark piece of hardwood to match the grip cap etc on the stock would suit. In looking for a suitable piece of timber, I remembered the gidgee fence posts we had brought back from out west some years ago. It is "serious" wood this stuff. When it gets old and hard you cannot cut it with a chain saw. We used a drop saw with a tungsten blade in it! LOL

My first prototypes turned out ok, made with the grain of the timber. But the blocks above have been cut cross grain, and with the shape of the handles, much more figuring is now visible. Harder to make, but turned out well. Shed looked like a sawmill, with offcuts and sawdust everywhere, all to produce two small handles that fit in the palm of my hand. LOL :D

I am putting the final coats of oil on the stock, and these handles, so when that is finished I will put up a pic of the finished wood.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 04 Nov 2019, 4:58 pm

Final coats of the Tru Oil have gone on the stock, following my method of applying many light coats with a soft cloth, and some rubbing to get a smooth finish on each coat. Finish has turned out well. With all the work on the stock, the timber is now improved over how I bought it, but photos will not really show that. It was pretty good before, so really only imperfections have been removed and surface improved through sanding, steaming, rubbing with steel wool etc. Looks good.

But, it now has what I call the "Rigby Look", and that is very glossy. Great if you like glossy, but I prefer a satin finish. The standard method for Tru Oil is to use Gun Stock Conditioner to give a satin finish, but I have found that a bit average. So I am trying something different this time. Some googling turned up lots of people using Tru Oil on guitars and furniture, and one method they favour is a carnuba wax finish. Birchwood Casey sell a wax to be used after Tru Oil, but I have none of that so I will try some carnuba. I have done a test piece which looks promising, so after another week of curing time, I will give that a try.

This is how Tru Oil turns out "off the gun".

DSCN1185.JPG
DSCN1185.JPG (2.32 MiB) Viewed 6040 times

DSCN1186.JPG
DSCN1186.JPG (2.08 MiB) Viewed 6040 times
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 04 Nov 2019, 5:04 pm

beautiful stock, great work :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 04 Nov 2019, 5:48 pm

Sorry to repeat myself...but thats a nice piece of wood GQshayne..

Looks like you done a great job so far...

What aboutt pics of the bolt handle & how you did that...?

Be great to see it all together...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bill » 04 Nov 2019, 7:38 pm

Looks like all that rubbing and sanding paid off mate, I use to enjoy using Tru oil but changed over to a furniture makes Tung oil for a more satin finish.

I would have been tempted to remove the white line spacers.....
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 05 Nov 2019, 7:42 pm

Thanks fellas. I will take a pic of the bolt handle after I have done the final finish on the timber. Most probably this weekend. If it turns out how I want, otherwise it will be re-oiled and try again. I did not take progress pics of it, but I did it by hand, with sandpaper and initially with the linisher.

I like the white line spacers! LOL No thought to get rid of them, even though the one on the butt makes it a lot harder to do a new recoil pad. As for oil, I would consider another one next time, but the Tru Oil works well. Maybe. :unknown:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 10 Nov 2019, 5:21 pm

I tried something different on this stock, and have finished it with a wax finish. I think it now looks like many factory timber stocked rifles you see now. No doubt the process is different, but it is less glossy than it was before with just the Tru Oil, a bit lighter in colour, and very smooth.

DSCN1187.JPG
DSCN1187.JPG (2.16 MiB) Viewed 6168 times

Bolt handle is quite understated, but in comparison to the original one, I like it a lot better. And it is a personalised piece, something that cannot be bought, and made from timber collected from where I have hunted in western Qld - gidgee.

DSCN1174.JPG
DSCN1174.JPG (2.23 MiB) Viewed 6168 times

DSCN1188.JPG
DSCN1188.JPG (1.97 MiB) Viewed 6168 times

DSCN1190.JPG
DSCN1190.JPG (2.17 MiB) Viewed 6168 times

Having completed the woodwork to my satisfaction, I went back to the trigger which has a small amount of creep. Obviously, if you can shoot a sub moa group it is not bad, but my other Tikka has none at all. So more work needed. After some more polishing of the trigger without a total result (improved, but not 100%), I decided I had to remove the sear, which I was hoping to not have to do. But I managed to remove and re-install the assembly and have it function as intended, so all went well. And no more creep. :drinks:

So next job will be to polish up that old metal work. As you can see in the photos, it is a bit shabby, but does not have any major pitting. So it should polish up well. I have resurrected much worse than this, so should not be a problem. Polishing will be in preparation of a two colour Cerakote job. Once again when time permits. But I have said that a few times, and work is progressing quicker than intended. My stuffed elbow is preventing me doing any harder work, which is more important, but I cannot do. So at least the rifle is progressing nicely. :thumbsup:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 26 Nov 2019, 7:50 pm

This magazine has a plastic insert to suit the smaller cartridge, which has to be removed for Cerakoting. Took a bit of thinking to work out how it came out. The .222 mag is my dad's for a reference for re-assembly.

DSCN1191.JPG
DSCN1191.JPG (2.14 MiB) Viewed 6106 times

I have used JB Weld to plug a few holes that are not required before coating. This works quite well. As you can see the barrel is partly polished here. I was going to take a couple of pictures when it was finished - but I forgot. Just as well no-one much is interested anyway. :roll: Everything has been done, bolt, mag, barrel and action, mounts etc, all by hand with file, sandpaper, and steel wool. Takes time, but comes up perfect. This is only done with about 240 and some 400 paper, but JB had to be filed flat before continuing.

DSCN1192.JPG
DSCN1192.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 6106 times
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 26 Nov 2019, 7:52 pm

Now waiting for material to arrive at the coaters, then the rifle will go in. Should be done soon! Pretend Xmas present to myself.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 26 Nov 2019, 7:59 pm

its coming along great GQ :drinks:
the waiting is the worst part hey :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 26 Nov 2019, 8:23 pm

marksman wrote:its coming along great GQ :drinks:
the waiting is the worst part hey :thumbsup:

It is being done a lot quicker than originally planned actually. But that is not a bad thing. I bought it in June, so six months or so by the time it goes back together.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 26 Nov 2019, 8:26 pm

Something I forgot to mention. This is now the fourth time I have sanded a rifle back for coating. I reckon three of those had rust UNDER the bluing. So it looked good, but as soon as you rubbed the bluing back a bit you could see corrosion underneath. I am doing old rifles of course, so newer stuff would most probably be fine, but anyone doing an old rifle should keep this in mind. I think it is worth the effort to rub them back. You can remove any imperfections, and makes sure there is no hidden corrosion.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 16 Dec 2019, 5:29 pm

Still waiting for my coating to be done, but these things happen. I am told he is hoping to do it between Xmas and new year, in conjunction with another job using the same colours. Taking time to get the colours in, as the distributor has been ill. Or something. :allegedly: Anyway, these things happen, so must be patient.

The original stock I have no use for, so it was always going to be sold off later. But I had intended to re-finish it first. No point trying to sell an old, well worn stock to some that already has an old, well worn stock. :crazy: Better if it is tarted up a bit, and given that I have had some practice with doing stocks, no big deal.

As you can see from an earlier photo, the standard M55 stock is not a bad thing. Not a lot of grain, but stained nicely.

DSCN1137.JPG
DSCN1137.JPG (2.23 MiB) Viewed 6068 times

I decided to strip it back to bare timber to see what it was like underneath. I reckon compared to the Deluxe stocks it obviously has less figuring, but also I think they are finished to a lesser standard. Basic finishing, and then stained and a grain filler and sealer used before the final coating. When I stripped it back, there was a lot more open grain than the fancier stocks I have done, and it took more work to bring it up to similar standard. I have decided to put the work into the timber, no stain, and no filler. So lots of sanding, wet sanding, and rubbing back, to get a nice finish

So far it is looking quite nice, and something different to a standard M55 stock. Getting rubbed back again here, ready for final coats. The rubbing back with the ultra fine 0000 steel wool is probably the hardest part. Plenty of effort, and it takes about an hour and a half each time. Gets a good sweat up!

DSCN1206.JPG
DSCN1206.JPG (2.27 MiB) Viewed 6068 times

DSCN1207.JPG
DSCN1207.JPG (2.13 MiB) Viewed 6068 times
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 16 Dec 2019, 9:08 pm

Hi mate. What wax did you use on the deluxe stock?
Cheers
Deano
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 17 Dec 2019, 7:39 pm

deanp100 wrote:Hi mate. What wax did you use on the deluxe stock?
Cheers
Deano

It was just a Kitten auto wax Deano. From the reading I did, anything that uses carnuba wax is suitable, with people using auto products as well as furniture products. I have not tried one of the specialist gun waxes - Birchwood Casey make one though.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 18 Dec 2019, 8:03 am

Interesting. Your finish has a nice glow to it. I have played with a few of the furniture waxes and they were a bit underwhelming. I have always liked a bit of shine on my wood, and the waxes never produced it. I will have a look at the car waxes, it may be the next big thing.
Cheers
Deano
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 18 Dec 2019, 7:31 pm

deanp100 wrote:Interesting. Your finish has a nice glow to it. I have played with a few of the furniture waxes and they were a bit underwhelming. I have always liked a bit of shine on my wood, and the waxes never produced it. I will have a look at the car waxes, it may be the next big thing.
Cheers
Deano

No doubt it will depend on what you are putting it over too. On the stock above, I rubbed the stock back with steel wool before waxing it, so it was quite flat to start with. If you put it over a glossier finish it would no doubt be different, likely a lot brighter. I found an old article that suggested rubbing over Tru Oil "with a hard carnuba wax", and polishing it quite hard. That would be another alternative.

https://www.ssaa.org.au/stories/hints-tips-gunstock-refinishing.html
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 19 Dec 2019, 1:26 pm

Kind of would like to find a Deluxe stock now for my lsa55, just a bit more shape to it. Also like the car wax idea, I have a few products at home I think that I could look at that I have for my car, I have tried dubbin before but did not like it at all, the stock on mine has been stripped back and then finished with equal thirds of BLO, turps and spar varnish, quite a few coats, may try some wax over the top and see what sought of finish I can get.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Gunsmithing