Build it yourself

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Build it yourself

Post by flashman » 04 May 2019, 2:01 pm

Hi picking up my new Howa sporter end of the week in 308win ,all payed for, found out got to put the stock and action together ,now my question is ,what torque setting are the two action screws?? :shock:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Build it yourself

Post by bigrich » 04 May 2019, 2:12 pm

The type of stock can make a difference. I can’t remember where I read it , timber stocks 20-30 lb per inch, synthetic can be up to 50lb per inch. I went through all this a while ago. Bought a “fat man “ adjustable torque screw driver. That was money well spent. I’m pretty sure these figures are right , but Don’t take my word to be gospel though. Do some googling and see what you can find. Cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by flashman » 04 May 2019, 2:18 pm

Ok Bigrich thanks for the information already have a fat boy torque wrench ,got to see how high it go"s, hitting the web now.. :D
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 04 May 2019, 2:21 pm

Is it a synthetic stock or wood
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 04 May 2019, 2:27 pm

My .243 HOWA Has the synthetic stock and they are very flexible and need bedding or replacing.Might look at getting a Boyds thumbhole
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by flashman » 04 May 2019, 3:28 pm

No its the standard synthetic ,but a boyds dose sound nice .............. :P
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 04 May 2019, 3:32 pm

I zeroed my .243 at 300 yards of the synthetic stock using a bench rest and could put them in the 6 no problem which is fine for hunting so its not all bad
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by flashman » 04 May 2019, 3:41 pm

Ducan61 good to hear ,what torque setting did you use??, Iv read 50lbs , that's a lot ,will be using lock tite,yes or no ?
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 04 May 2019, 4:01 pm

.243 screws.jpg
.243 screws.jpg (229.55 KiB) Viewed 5035 times
There are only 2 screws and I like them to have both slots running parallel just for the hell of it.They are a snug fit at this point anyway.Being Japanese they may tap and thread them so this is the case
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by flashman » 04 May 2019, 4:16 pm

Duncan61 ok hope my new one comes with allen key type bolts ,didn't have a good look at the shop ,just excited ,I over looked it .................. :unknown:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 04 May 2019, 4:18 pm

I would not over think the tension on the screws and no locktite you need to be able to get the screws out again and they are not going to come loose to the point where it will be a problem.Only my opinion but neck tension/bedding screw tension and all this stuff is for fine tuning for benchrest match shooting.You are going to put it together then go shoot a round and hopefully scrub it clean again for 5 shots then do 2 at a time for 5 cleaning in between now use the sweets and polish then go zero the scope.I am a big fan of running in a new barrel some don't agree but if its right its worth it I have done it to both my new rifles and it was done to the 7mm I purchased second hand.Do 5 or more shot groups when zeroing as 3 will give bulls**t results now you are ready to go and will have the confidence to pop the head of a rabbit if needed
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 04 May 2019, 4:26 pm

Maybe thats why rifles with torx head screws dont always shoot straight...cos the slots cant be aligned to the direction of the bore... :unknown:

Flashman, with my synthetic Tikka sporters i started at about 30 & went up...
On my Tikka's 25 felt like it was only just nipped & they proved to loosen easily...
Anything over 40 just feels too heavy for the stock--no science here though...just feeling...tight enough to hold & no flex when tightening between 30 & 40.

Ive ended up with 35 on rear & 40 on the front...

Im probably not much help, & im no expert & dont own a Howa...but atleast thats a number to hopefully get you started.

Maybe if the howa has pillar you could start tighter :unknown: .

Im sure some others who know better will chime in at some point.
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by flashman » 04 May 2019, 4:45 pm

OK thank Stix your wright about the locktite ,musthave the ability to retighten stock ,what was I thinking ........derrrrrrrrrr.m over thinking, but can`t wait..... :clap:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 04 May 2019, 5:31 pm

be careful tightening a synthetic stock as I have seen them crush and crack the holes rendering the stock useless
if they are pillared it is different and can be tightened up 60 inch lb or more, if not I would be careful after 35 inch lb
I'm not saying it cant be done but be careful
also I usually tighten the rear king screw snug but the front king screw at the recoil lug to a minimum of 35 inch lb
because your bedding may not be great and you do not want to bend the action
it how I do it anyway :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 04 May 2019, 6:27 pm

I give the threads a drop of 222 Loctite and then just nip them up. Do you think they need more than just being nipped Stix?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 May 2019, 7:11 pm

How strong is 222 Loctite if it were me I wouldn't go anywhere near those screws with Loctite unless it was designed for rifles I've tightened all my rifles without a tension wrench but have tested a few of them and they're around 30-40lb I have wood and synthetic stocks like Duncan said don't over think it firm should do
Member-Deleted

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 May 2019, 7:37 pm

Regarding threadlock compound, you can soften that stuff to remove your screws with the tip of a soldering iron.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by av1 » 04 May 2019, 8:34 pm

Hi
I have a Howa 308 s/steel heavy varmint with a Boyd stock and received the following information
Sales <Sales@osaaustralia.com.au>

Here are the torque settings for Howa rifles and stocks supplied from the legacy website in the U.S.
If it is not bedded in a wood stock 25 inch pounds. Pillar bedded in a wood stock 35 inch pounds. Pillar bedded in a synthetic stock 45 inch pounds (however we think 35 inch pounds might be enough).
I hope this helps.
Regards
| Outdoor Sporting Agencies
PO Box 8519 Tarneit VIC 3029 Australia.
I also used 222 loctite and have used it without any issues. Refer information below.
Threadlocking Adhesive - low strength. Easy disassembly. Suitable for all metal threaded assemblies.
LOCTITE® 222 is a low-strength threadlocker that allows the adjustment of screws including countersunk head screws and set screws. Good on low-strength metals which could fracture during disassembly, e.g. aluminum or brass. The product works on all metals, including passive substrates such as stainless steel, aluminum and plated surfaces. t is proven to be tolerant of minor contamination due to industrial oils, e.g. motor oils, corrosion prevention oils and cutting fluids.
Hope this is of help.
Robert.
av1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 04 May 2019, 8:45 pm

Thanks av1
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 04 May 2019, 9:50 pm

Thanks Robert, 222 is fine as a thread locker where you need to undo the screw with hand tools.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by flashman » 06 May 2019, 4:43 pm

Now you have me thinking ................... :?:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing