NSW based gunsmiths who can mill & fit an optic?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

NSW based gunsmiths who can mill & fit an optic?

Post by lukew » 26 May 2019, 7:38 pm

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone knows of any NSW based smiths who can mill a slide to suit an optic? I’ve tried contacting a couple of gunsmiths i’ve found online and so far haven’t had any luck.

Thanks in advance.
lukew
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: NSW based gunsmiths who can mill & fit an optic?

Post by bladeracer » 26 May 2019, 10:24 pm

lukew wrote:Hi folks, just wondering if anyone knows of any NSW based smiths who can mill a slide to suit an optic? I’ve tried contacting a couple of gunsmiths i’ve found online and so far haven’t had any luck.

Thanks in advance.

Mill a slide?
If you're talking about a handgun surely you would mount a scope to the frame, not the slide? Would it even cycle with the weight of a scope hanging off it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 27 May 2019, 3:59 pm

Put on your tin foil hats...suspect query time...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by CrackThump » 28 May 2019, 5:16 pm

your gut telling you something Tassie.?

I can see a couple of red flags myself, but Id hate to callxsomeone out based on just my scant experience
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 28 May 2019, 6:57 pm

Seems a weird and strange intro post...
Could be / might not be waiting for a response “i I know this guy who works out of his backyard “
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by CrackThump » 28 May 2019, 8:46 pm

I have to agree Tassie

I get it that new forum members arent always new firearm owners, but for someone why apparently owns a semi auto handgun and has gone through the rigors of licensing for said handgun, nailing a scope to a slide does seem like bit of a "WTF" idea lol.
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 29 May 2019, 3:04 am

I have seen reflex sights slide-mounted, so some people do manage it, but it's not the ideal.
But I've never seen anybody mill a slide for it, they usually replace the rear sight.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Homer » 29 May 2019, 9:04 am

G'Day Fella's,

Lukew, my best advice, would be to talk to some NSW Gun Shops, and find out who does their Handgun, Gunsmithing work.

For all you uneducated types, the following image, is a variation on what Lukew is talking about.
DSCN1930.JPG
DSCN1930.JPG (477.18 KiB) Viewed 4124 times

DSCN2044.JPG
DSCN2044.JPG (373.76 KiB) Viewed 4121 times

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bladeracer » 29 May 2019, 11:14 am

Homer wrote:G'Day Fella's,

Lukew, my best advice, would be to talk to some NSW Gun Shops, and find out who does their Handgun, Gunsmithing work.

For all you uneducated types, the following image, is a variation on what Lukew is talking about.
DSCN1930.JPG

DSCN2044.JPG

D'oh!
Homer

Did that have to be machined to fit the sight?
I figured they were designed to drop straight into the rear sight dovetail?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 29 May 2019, 1:08 pm

I had two of the dovetail type and found they moved around a fair bit i like the idea of the underside having 2 extra slots to hold the base . Where would you find that type of base I had a quick look didn,t see a web site for stone free just a number in Act
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Bazooker » 29 May 2019, 2:30 pm

Need to scope out something like this:-

https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/red-d ... sight.html

Or this

https://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/D ... k-Dovetail
Size of rear dovetail would be the critical factor, might be some light maching/fitting involved.

Baz.
It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze........Relax!
Bazooker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Bazooker » 29 May 2019, 2:39 pm

From the Skinner website; scroll down there are lo-pro mount plates for the Leupold Delta Point sights.

B.
It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze........Relax!
Bazooker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by lukew » 01 Jun 2019, 7:44 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone, no need for the tin foil hats.

Apologies if it's come across as somehow suspect - I registered on the forum because I've been looking for some advice/info and haven't gotten far speaking with a couple of shops & smiths I've found online. Yes I'm a NSW H-license holder (and R hunter), although I'm only about 18mths into pistols/target.

For a bit of context, I'm currently shooting a Springfield 1911 Loaded but looking for something that is more suited to us lefties and is maybe a little easier to shoot. It seems like the guys winning comps use 1911's so I see that as something to master over the long term, but it's also a bit frustrating to shoot better groups the first time I use my buddy's P226 than I've ever shot on my own 1911.

So, I've been looking at the H&K SFP-9 and have ended up down a rabbit hole of optics and am now wanting to put on a Trijicon RMR Type 2.
Australian sites to get both:
SFP9 - https://hermannsguns.com.au/hk-sfp9-sf-tactical/.

Anyway - Some of the replies seem to think I'm crazy to think about attaching an optic to the slide. As I say I'm pretty new to this and don't have an old hand explaining this stuff, so if I'm missing something please let me know, but here are some examples of what I'm referring to:

The optic ready OEM variant: https://www.heckler-koch.com/en/product ... rview.html
It has a pre-milled slide and comes with a variety of base plates to suit the most popular optics.

Here's an after market slide with the cutouts for an RMR:
https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-VP9- ... p17822.htm

The smiths I've called/texted with are more about repairs, cerakoting, etc. than this type of modification work. Maybe no one really does it because it's just too niche?

Hope that clarifies things, thanks in advance for any thoughts.

PS -

Re Tassie's comment about looking for some back yard operation - Definitely not looking for someone dodgy. If I'm going to invest in something like this I want it done properly, plus firearms and legal grey areas are two things I have no interest in combining.

Homer - Thanks for those examples, they also show why I want to mill it instead of sticking it on top - the optic ends up sitting quite high. The examples I've seen done really well integrate the optic nicely into the slide. If you're going to do it you might as well do it properly, right? :)
lukew
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jun 2019, 10:06 pm

lukew wrote:Homer - Thanks for those examples, they also show why I want to mill it instead of sticking it on top - the optic ends up sitting quite high. The examples I've seen done really well integrate the optic nicely into the slide. If you're going to do it you might as well do it properly, right? :)

Can you buy a slide from overseas that's already milled for an optic?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by lukew » 02 Jun 2019, 10:11 am

Bladeracer - they definitely exist but i’m not sure about the legalities of importing parts (I should do some googling about that).

There are also companies where you send your own slide/optic and they fit them exactly for you, but aside from the import/export question I’d prefer to find a great local smith and support them instead.
lukew
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing