Remington 700 sako-style extractor bolt modification

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Remington 700 sako-style extractor bolt modification

Post by tripletwo » 10 Feb 2014, 8:34 pm

Found this on YouTube for the Rem 700 shooters.

Remington 700 Bolt: Factory vs Sako-style extractor

Looks like it does a good job of fixing extraction failures if you're a bit light on the bolt pull.

Seems a bit smoother going in/out of the bolt being fully closed too.

Anyway, hope it helps a few peeps.
tripletwo
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Re: Remington 700 sako-style extractor bolt modification

Post by tactice » 11 Feb 2014, 9:28 am

Kinda good I guess.

I don't find my bolts hard to open or close though and I have two Remington 700's.

Must admit to fouling a few ejections from being too slow on the bench though.
Remington 700 VTR .22-250 Rem
Remington 700 VTR .308 Win
tactice
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pucker » 11 Feb 2014, 2:02 pm

Pull harder you sissy :P
pucker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 13 Feb 2014, 10:42 am

Gotta say he's working the bolt in the least favourable way possible on the stock extractor.

Short of the occasional slip I can't say I've ever seen someone eject a case that slowly...
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 13 Feb 2014, 11:02 am

Blackened wrote:Gotta say he's working the bolt in the least favourable way possible on the stock extractor.

Short of the occasional slip I can't say I've ever seen someone eject a case that slowly...

I actually wished my Remington 700 had a standard extractor/ejector and left the cartridge in the chamber race.

Being a Custom Benchrest Remington 700 Single Shot and highly modified mine has the Sako Extractor and it's just way too strong. It applies so much force it actually puts a small dent mark on the case mouths as they are pulled back, even slower than in that video. It actually happens twice, first pulling back to clear the actual chamber then second as it hits the ejector port opening. The only way I found to stop it happening is to put a finger on the cartridge case as it is being extracted.

Going at that pace in the video mine will throw a 6.5x47 Lapua case about 1 metre away unless I catch it first. Really annoying on the Range. Does the same but not as bad when I have it in 30BR configuration.

Next visit to my Gunsmith I intend asking if he can lighten the ejection story a fair bit.

On the other hand my Stolle Grizzly II (Remington Clone) using the same two calibres is a dream to use, same type extractor/ejector.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by eeckle » 13 Feb 2014, 11:21 am

Apollo wrote:Going at that pace in the video mine will throw a 6.5x47 Lapua case about 1 metre away unless I catch it first. Really annoying on the Range.

Really annoying for the guy shooting on the bench next to you too I reckon :P
eeckle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Harts » 13 Feb 2014, 1:36 pm

Apollo wrote:The only way I found to stop it happening is to put a finger on the cartridge case as it is being extracted.

Geez I get that gets old fast.

Definitely in need of a trip to the smith.
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Gunsmithing