Degreasting synthetic stock

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Degreasting synthetic stock

Post by Harrynsw » 03 Jul 2019, 11:47 am

Hi guys, doing a bit of a bedding job on my A-bolt, and looking for something suitable to degrease the synthetic stock without weakening or damaging it...
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Degreasting synthetic stock

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jul 2019, 8:42 pm

The main thing to do is to key the plastic so the bedding compound has something to hold onto. You can do this with the tip of a soldering iron.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 04 Jul 2019, 6:32 am

SCJ429 wrote:The main thing to do is to key the plastic so the bedding compound has something to hold onto. You can do this with the tip of a soldering iron.

Solid tip...thanks bud
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 04 Jul 2019, 7:48 pm

brake cleaner appently is what is used to clean degrease synthetic stocks for vinyl wrap
maybe test a bit where you cant see it :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 05 Jul 2019, 7:53 am

marksman wrote:brake cleaner appently is what is used to clean degrease synthetic stocks for vinyl wrap
maybe test a bit where you cant see it :unknown:

Thanks mate, I'll look in to that
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 06 Jul 2019, 9:37 am

Oh well, seems the recoil lug comes bedded from the factory.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Sep 2019, 8:15 am

Harrynsw wrote:Hi guys, doing a bit of a bedding job on my A-bolt, and looking for something suitable to degrease the synthetic stock without weakening or damaging it...

I can confidently comment on this knowing my suggestion will work, most synthetic stocks have a high Silicon content, and Silicon is your main enemy when things come to not adhering properly, Acetone is the best as it breaks down the Silicon and softens up the overall inner channels. When I bed Synthetic stocks and I have done a lot, I drill 25 degree 3mm holes angling in various directions where the compound selected will cover it but yet provides good anchor points, I than use a very solid brush and scrub the inside with Acetone and let it dry off naturally only takes a minute or two, don't touch it with your hands after this and do your thing, it will hold really good, FYI, I use Devcon Seel Putty and choke grease as a release agent, torque up your action screws and let her dry un-interrupted for min 3 nights. Good luck hope it helps.
Member-Deleted

Return to Gunsmithing