New Project 40-72 for paper patching

Black powder rifles and pistols, reloading black powder, and other information. The smoky stuff.

Re: New Project 40-72 for paper patching

Post by perentie » 13 Nov 2019, 5:47 am

Noisydad wrote:Now, fess up and admit it - you’re not doing this (entirely) to get the rifle you want. You’re doing it for the fun and challenge of aren’t you?!

Yes :)
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by perentie » 13 Nov 2019, 5:52 am

My new press mounted wad punch arrived. Punched out some wads from .060 poly.
Filled some cases (80 grains) with Swiss FF and Wano FF and off to my 130 yard range to try them out.
I am pleased with the results. No leading and a reasonable (for me) group.
Loads just need refining .
Imagerebarrel rolling block 08 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141809689@N05
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by perentie » 15 Nov 2019, 7:19 am

Been testing different powders.
Wano FF 80 grains gets 1262 to 1334 fps
Wano PP 80 grains gets 1283 to 1353 fps
Swiss FF 80 grains gets 1384 to 1421 fps.

I was not happy with the groups, then as I was picking the rifle up I felt something move. Checked some more and I am getting movement in the stock. I have heard that is not conducive to tight groups. I will probably glass bed,( bit hard on a roller) and put a stock through bolt in it.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Nov 2019, 9:24 am

Those SD values look a bit high yet, it can be quite easy to achieve single digit figures with these rifles.
Like you said, early days, showing promise.
Is that a DZ scope and mounts?
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by perentie » 15 Nov 2019, 5:29 pm

Yes DZ. Had a bit of discussion about it on the Shiloh forum.
I am going to try the Wano PP even though the Swiss is faster. I have a good load with the Swiss for my 45-70 PP so I will leave my stash of it for that.
Speed is not everything eh?
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Nov 2019, 6:38 pm

Dan is a good friend of mine, makes a beautiful Hepburn replica, on the wish list for me. I have one of his scopes, actually sat there while his son put it together. Apart from the lenses, everything is made in house, right down to the tiny grub screws. If you ever get to Oklahoma City you should look him up. He owns a very impressive machining business, does a lot of work for the aircraft and oil industries. He says he's retired but he still goes in to work everyday. :lol:

With regards velocities,depends on what you are trying to do. Short to mid range ( 100 to 500m) can be shot quite well with slower loads. But time of flight starts to really hurt you at the long range, out to 1000, when the wind gets up. That's where you'll find the faster loads come into their own. Having said that, my .45-90 shoots very well out to 1000 with just 73gr of 1.5F Swiss behind a 545gr Creedmoor GG bullet, go figure. :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by perentie » 16 Nov 2019, 6:04 am

Yes, Dan stands by his products. When The scope arrived I could not adjust it as the spring loaded plunger was stuck. Sent him an email and he said he had a batch where the loktite on the plunger housing migrated and seized the plunger as well. He thought he had got them all but mine must have slipped through.
Said to get some acetone, soak it, and see if I could get it to move. If not return scope for replacement. Did not fancy not having any sights for that long so gave it a go.
After a couple of days it came good. Told him it was all OK now but the plunger got a bit marked up. A new plunger arrived in the mail yesterday along with a couple of spare bases in case I want to put it on another rifle.
Great service.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by perentie » 18 Nov 2019, 6:22 am

Definately getting stock movement. Its only held with one tang screw so I bedded the tangs and where it fronts up to the action with Devcon. (all I had here)
I also made a through bolt from a bit of 5/16 SS threaded rod and a joining nut. Had to make an extended spade bit to get the hole through the stock.
A cross hole in the joining nut picks up the tang screw and a nut and washer at the other end tightens it up. Its solid now. Got that Idea from Mr Single Shots book .
Now to see how much difference it makes.

Imagerebarrel rolling block 10 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141809689@N05/]
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by perentie » 29 Nov 2019, 4:31 pm

Decided to go with Wano P. The others are a bit faster but this is only for mid range. it weighs around 11 pounds. My long range 45-70 weighs 13 pounds.
Wano P with 77 or 78 grains seems to be fairly consistant so will work around that.
My patches were not cutting all the way to the front so tried a shorter one but not much difference.
Shooting at my 130 yard range.
Imagerange shot by [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hSnHjf]Imagerebarrel rolling block 11 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141809689@N05/]
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 29 Nov 2019, 4:58 pm

All the younguns that have only ever used.223s think you’re talking a foreign language:-)
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by perentie » 30 Nov 2019, 5:33 am

Ha Ha, yes, you are probably right. If they are interested they can ask questions.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Black powder shooting