Gun bloke spring - Howa

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Gun bloke spring - Howa

Post by Cal-ApeR » 04 Aug 2019, 6:57 pm

Hi guys,

Been looking at the Sauer s100 after using a mates a few months back. Really loved the trigger. Just wondering how much changing the spring on the howa with the one gun bloke makes...... Does it improve things much? I don't mind the HACT trigger, I don't have creep in mine however would like slightly lighter more crisp pull, similar to the Sauer. Don't have the money for a Timney etc.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Gun bloke spring - Howa

Post by Bill » 04 Aug 2019, 7:22 pm

I run the 2lb spring kit in my sporter Howa grendel and the 1.5lb in my HB Howa grendel and both are massive improvement. Do rate for $22

My Mauser M18 trigger which I adjusted down to 2lb's recently is crisp and is a smidge better not alot in it. I had both at the range last week and swapped around 4 times
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 04 Aug 2019, 7:49 pm

I rate the gun bloke kits i have on in my tikka,sako,marlin and also in my howa great cheap way to work a trigger to a better break whilst still retaining the factory feel.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by tophet1 » 04 Aug 2019, 8:35 pm

Good to hear this. Ive been wondering myself.
tophet1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 04 Aug 2019, 8:40 pm

I put the 1.5lb in my howa 308 and its awesome, you definately won't regret it. Cheaper if you buy from his website instead of ebay.
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 04 Aug 2019, 11:52 pm

I was out spotlighting last night & had many shots with another blokes howa mini in 223...

He had a 1.5lb in his & i was truely amazed how good it was...!

I dont like spotlighting (or any hunting for that mstter) with someone else's rifle, & although it was lighter than my rifles, just one dry fire for feel & i was on fire with it--i hit more with it than its owner did... :lol: (whoops :D )

Im a convert...im getting them...!!
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bill » 05 Aug 2019, 9:03 am

Yeah just a real good product Stix.

if its the first time changing springs, just makes sure when you remove the trigger from the rifle you put it in large plastic bag to remove the C clips....

Those little tiny C clips love flying off and can be difficult to re find lol.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Cal-ApeR » 05 Aug 2019, 10:42 am

This is encouraging. I honestly didn't think so many people would talk it up that much. I guess it's time to give it a go. So it is safe to say this lightens the trigger and it breaks more crisply?
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 05 Aug 2019, 11:06 am

Hey calaper...
Im no expert on triggers at all--never ever pulled one apart...

However my understanding is along the lines of...the spring will only affect the pull weight...
However "crispness" is more of a sear engagement thing(along with other mechanicals)

I think a lightened trigger would give the impression of it being crisper, but at the end of the day, (for examle) if you have creep, the spring will not take it out--rather you're less likely to feel it, or you'll pull through it quicker & easier...

Thats how i interpret what i dont know anyway... :lol:
Im sure others will give you a correct rundown... :thumbsup:

But just get it mate...!!
It aided me in releasing some real good shots on a rifle im not familiar with, ive little doubt you'll be dissappointed...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Cal-ApeR » 05 Aug 2019, 12:05 pm

Thanks Stix. I was wondering how it could change crispness or creep. For the price I'll give it a crack. Can't hurt. If it's no good, I'll go back to the factory spring.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Aug 2019, 8:37 pm

You won't put the factory spring back. Best $20 you can spend.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by flutch » 06 Aug 2019, 8:42 pm

polish it yourself with 2400 grit wet n dry, take out the springs put the heavier one in storage and put the weaker one where the stronger one was and use a cutting from a click biro to fill out the other spot or leave it vacant, and thusly you shall have thine crisp trigger with 0 creep and breaks like fine crystal glassware
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch