Hatcher Stocks

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Hatcher Stocks

Post by cracker » 11 Aug 2019, 11:15 pm

i wasnt completely happy with my product as i said earlier.
how ever he is a very nice guy, did what he said and i brought the stock before i brought the action, so i wasnt too know it wasnt a "perfect fit"

my issue was a barrel inletting shouldnt be like 18-20mm for a 6.5 sweede, it looks s**t.

they arnt very finished, which is fine. the timber is nice and his a nice guy honestly. he does state it requires work
i dont want to come off as the whole "his rubbish' because thats not true and i did nothing to mention to him i wasnt happy or anything of that nature.
would i use him again, yeah perhaps. but id take my action there with me to check.
kinda forgot about this post and i dont want to slag the guy off.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 12 Aug 2019, 8:59 am

I guess a lot the complaints comes from what constitutes an unfinished stock, I've bought a few Boyds, few project Mauser unfinished stocks and a few martini cadet unfinished stock and generally the barrel channel/ action area would be 90-95% finished to allow for variance in barrel, action and bottom metal differences. The rest of the stock 95%. what i saw of my mates stock was like 85-90% finished and poorly done. goodluck Pete
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 12 Aug 2019, 11:02 am

Bill wrote:I guess a lot the complaints comes from what constitutes an unfinished stock, I've bought a few Boyds, few project Mauser unfinished stocks and a few martini cadet unfinished stock and generally the barrel channel/ action area would be 90-95% finished to allow for variance in barrel, action and bottom metal differences. The rest of the stock 95%. what i saw of my mates stock was like 85-90% finished and poorly done. goodluck Pete

Where have you got the various martini stocks from Bill...?
Various places, or one supplier...?
Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bill » 12 Aug 2019, 11:44 am

Martini stocks predominantly came from Georgievski, had a few from Slee but I didnt like his fore end patterns. George makes a lovely stock in various styles but as his age has gone up so has his price lol. Still going, havent been to his new location. I also took the time to visit Vardy and select timber, worth the effort and price saving.

I have an excel spreadsheet of stock makers with numbers if your interested but ph numbers may have change.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 12 Aug 2019, 11:52 am

I'm beginning to wonder if I do just go for a boyds to be honest.
His email response didn't exactly fill me with confidence...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 12 Aug 2019, 12:38 pm

bigpete wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if I do just go for a boyds to be honest.

I once enquired about a stock with him...
Emsil & 2 calls, finally got a reply a few weeks down the track--ssid he would get back to me...
A year later i got a call saying he had what i was enquiring about.
Not bitching...just saying how my experience played out...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 12 Aug 2019, 12:40 pm

Bill wrote:Martini stocks predominantly came from Georgievski, had a few from Slee but I didnt like his fore end patterns. George makes a lovely stock in various styles but as his age has gone up so has his price lol. Still going, havent been to his new location. I also took the time to visit Vardy and select timber, worth the effort and price saving.

I have an excel spreadsheet of stock makers with numbers if your interested but ph numbers may have change.

Yep...interested..!!...ill pm my email...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 12 Aug 2019, 12:45 pm

Stix wrote:
bigpete wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if I do just go for a boyds to be honest.

I once enquired about a stock with him...
Emsil & 2 calls, finally got a reply a few weeks down the track--ssid he would get back to me...
A year later i got a call saying he had what i was enquiring about.
Not bitching...just saying how my experience played out...

His description of the unfinished stocks left a lot to be desired...and it seems way too much effort to have to basically do the inletting job for him,especially at his price point....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Previous

Return to Gunsmithing