Hatcher Stocks

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Hatcher Stocks

Post by bigpete » 07 Aug 2019, 1:44 pm

Anyone bought a stock from Hatchers ? Are they any good,and easy to fit ? I'm considering an English sporter to fit to my 98 mauser
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Hatcher Stocks

Post by Bill » 08 Aug 2019, 5:27 pm

a mate bought a 2 piece stock and he was disappointed with the quality of timber and the level of finish, fella couldnt even get the bolt hole right for the rear stock. A real lot of work was required to finish the stock too. Whats the project rifle and budget ?

also be aware alot of the slee designed stocks he bought dont have alot of drop in the wrist so make sure it is a proper English style sporter.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 08 Aug 2019, 5:40 pm

As I said above,the project rifle is a Brazilian mauser 98. Budget is a lot less than a Hatcher stock lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by cracker » 08 Aug 2019, 6:59 pm

iv seen one before inletting around the barrel was massive... looked very.. average.
wouldnt buy one.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 08 Aug 2019, 8:22 pm

Huh. Both these testimonies are completely different to the ones I've received elsewhere. Now I'm concerned...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 08 Aug 2019, 8:41 pm

Hey bigpete I've been toying with the idea of buying one so I contacted them and by the time I paid for a different stock than they normally make ie standard for different rifles the price was up there and I still had to finish it my stock would have had to be taken out of the shaper and replaced later and I was told I would have to pay extra for this process so on weighing it all up and the not knowing the quality I decided not to buy one but I suppose that's a risk you take with all stock makers
Member-Deleted

Post by bigpete » 08 Aug 2019, 9:01 pm

How did you contact them?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 08 Aug 2019, 10:34 pm

Online pulled up Hatchers rifle stocks and there was a contact thing there for an email to them I typed my name and email address and there's a small section where you explain what you want and it took about a week for them to get back to me and they gave me a quote with the reply
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 08 Aug 2019, 10:48 pm

Hey bigpete I just tried to get back onto that site so I could explain it more clearly but when I got into it some BS came up saying subscribe to ''Bizarre'' it must be some company mixed up with Hatchers or agents for them I can't explain it but if you go to hatchers page at the top is hatchers PH number beside his name mate it has all changed since I was there 2mths ago
Member-Deleted

Post by pomemax » 09 Aug 2019, 1:39 am

http://hatchersriflestocks.com.au
I have bought 2 stocks from Cam his stocks require a lot of finishing I bought Semi Inlet one,s for my Omarks took some time to sand them back and finish them but I was happy with the end result .sorry bout the photo quality taken with phone
Attachments
20161126_110554.jpg
20161126_110554.jpg (75.04 KiB) Viewed 7119 times
20161126_110529 (Small) (2).jpg
20161126_110529 (Small) (2).jpg (46.88 KiB) Viewed 7119 times
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 09 Aug 2019, 5:52 am

Yeah I've heard they need minor work inletting and sanding. Just not quite the horror stories I'm hearing lol.
I sent them an email nearly a week ago,guess I just need to wait a bit longer
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 09 Aug 2019, 8:57 am

Hey Pete, what type of Mauser do you have ? Is it one of the long actions that were converted to 30-06 , or is it a “short” m98 in 7.65x53 ? As a option I found a mob in Sydney that will import Boyd stocks with all the available options. I don’t think it would be cheap but. I’ve been looking at stock options for a short action Turk m98 I got coming. I think I might just get out the 5” grinder,a dremel and some acraglass and modify a $50 military stock. Cheap option.... :unknown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 09 Aug 2019, 9:37 am

It's a Brazilian m98 in 35 whelen.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bill » 09 Aug 2019, 10:18 am

bigpete wrote:Yeah I've heard they need minor work inletting and sanding. Just not quite the horror stories I'm hearing lol.
I sent them an email nearly a week ago,guess I just need to wait a bit longer

Minor work..... Lol

If 4 or 5 hrs of sanding is ur thing then yeah minor, in my book if you can't get the bolt hole right and you send the product out then something is seriously amiss.

I have an u finish 98 stock I'd part, however I did inlet the bottom for a modern zastava, not sure if it would be a match
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 09 Aug 2019, 10:39 am

bigpete wrote:It's a Brazilian m98 in 35 whelen.

Yup, right. Long action. I have bin thinking about a Hatcher’s stock for my Turk. They make stocks for the different Mauser models going of their website. Bit of a mixed bag of reviews though. Depends on how skilled some folks are at finishing off the inleting I guess. Mind you, if Hatcher’s are as busy as gunsmiths are these days, maybe some stocks are a bit rushed . I like the idea of the english sporter stock for my 8x57 which only has a 20” barrel. Probably narrow the forend a bit more and put a “shnabel “ end on it . Decisions.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 09 Aug 2019, 10:57 am

Bill wrote:Minor work..... Lol

If 4 or 5 hrs of sanding is ur thing then yeah minor, in my book if you can't get the bolt hole right and you send the product out then something is seriously amiss.

I have an u finish 98 stock I'd part, however I did inlet the bottom for a modern zastava, not sure if it would be a match

Out of the dozen or so people I've spoken to who have them,only you and one other have had issues. So I'll reserve judgement for now...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 09 Aug 2019, 10:59 am

bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:It's a Brazilian m98 in 35 whelen.

Yup, right. Long action. I have bin thinking about a Hatcher’s stock for my Turk. They make stocks for the different Mauser models going of their website. Bit of a mixed bag of reviews though. Depends on how skilled some folks are at finishing off the inleting I guess. Mind you, if Hatcher’s are as busy as gunsmiths are these days, maybe some stocks are a bit rushed . I like the idea of the english sporter stock for my 8x57 which only has a 20” barrel. Probably narrow the forend a bit more and put a “shnabel “ end on it . Decisions.

Exactly,for just over 300 bucks I'd not think they're going to be perfect hey....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 09 Aug 2019, 8:19 pm

I bought a hatcher stock for the boys first brno 22

I have to say I am very happy with the stock, they came as I would expect them to
I will also say that if you are going to buy a custom stock there will be fitting involved and I believe it needs to be bedded from the get go
the only thing I would say is hard about hatchers stocks is the timber, it is very hard, lots of sanding, NZ hardwood I believe
there ph number is 0429773986

being on a budget may I suggest a ramline plastic stock in camo

not 100% sure the exact price, about $120 I think but same as a hatchers stock bed the bugger
I'm not a fan of plastic stocks but I like this one they are cheap but after stabilizing and bedding with devcon they are a very sturdy platform
I like camo :thumbsup: :drinks: I dont like plastic :lol: :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 09 Aug 2019, 10:29 pm

No plastic stock ! Yuck !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 10 Aug 2019, 11:44 am

but its camo, you cant see the plastic :lol:

this is another alternative https://www.brownells.com.au/index.php? ... r+98+stock :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 10 Aug 2019, 12:39 pm

Ive looked at the brownell ones,problem is,brownell Australia has a really bad name lately...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 10 Aug 2019, 12:43 pm

bigpete wrote:Ive looked at the brownell ones,problem is,brownell Australia has a really bad name lately...

What are you worried about...?
I dont understand why you carry on about a hypothetical... :roll:

Just buy it & if there's anything wrong just suck it up princess... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 10 Aug 2019, 1:25 pm

Lol,I'd better go fishing,I'm doing a great job of getting bites ! :D
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 10 Aug 2019, 4:37 pm

Yes...Yes you should...!!

Go chuck some rocks at Carp... :D
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 10 Aug 2019, 5:44 pm

I didn't do so well at reel fishing today unfortunately....:(
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 10 Aug 2019, 5:57 pm

Thats because you didnt read the instructions for the reel...instead you followed a rainbow flag to the frock shop...

"Setting the drag" entails making use of an adjustment on the reel which allows fishing line to be released from the reel before its breaking strain is reached...

It is NOT dressing up in an old lady's flower print frock while flicking your thin little stick around on a wharf on a cold blustery day...or any day for that matter...!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 10 Aug 2019, 6:13 pm

But I like a breeze around my nether region....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 11 Aug 2019, 6:58 am

Stix wrote:Thats because you didnt read the instructions for the reel...instead you followed a rainbow flag to the frock shop...

"Setting the drag" entails making use of an adjustment on the reel which allows fishing line to be released from the reel before its breaking strain is reached...

It is NOT dressing up in an old lady's flower print frock while flicking your thin little stick around on a wharf on a cold blustery day...or any day for that matter...!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that's some funny sh!t guys :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 11 Aug 2019, 4:33 pm

here is a cheap one for you Pete :thumbsup:
it may not ship to here but it would be worth an email
the sellers name is muddog so how could you go wrong :unknown: :lol:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/98-Mauser-Spor ... SwSv5dSkZO

this one could be alright as well but it does need the recoil lug bedded
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mauser-98-1898 ... SwhiJdRt8b
I wouldn't mind this one myself :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 11 Aug 2019, 6:17 pm

Honestly,I'm pretty much set on a Hatcher English sporter. If he replies to my email. Apparently he's over in Africa though
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Gunsmithing