Anyone tested how effective fluting really is for heat?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Anyone tested how effective fluting really is for heat?

Post by Rocker » 18 Feb 2014, 9:33 am

I'm probably pushing my luck with this but...

Anyone done any before/after testing or reasonable comparison of a fluted and not fluted barrel to see how much benefit it has for dispersing heat?

Had the air conditioning guy out at work and seeing him walking around with his laser thermometer got me thinking :lol:

I think a few guys here have something like a Tikka fluted and Tikka standard barrel, just wondering if anyone has taken any temperature readings shot by shot with them for curiosity.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Anyone tested how effective fluting really is for heat?

Post by Chronos » 18 Feb 2014, 12:56 pm

It should be a simply calculation of surface area to mass to give you an idea if how much quicker a fluted barrel will heat up and then cool down.

That said the small amount of fluting in barrels would have little to no effect of cooling, they're there to reduce weight really IMHO

The real test would be to shoot a ten shot group out of two rifles. One fluted and one not and then track the point if impact from one shot to the next and compare them.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Guliver » 18 Feb 2014, 1:52 pm

I thought fluting was done to lighten a heavy bull barrel not for heat dissipation.
As per this Ruger MKIII.

Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AlanK » 18 Feb 2014, 2:34 pm

Guliver wrote:I thought fluting was done to lighten a heavy bull barrel not for heat dissipation.

You're right, it is. It makes the barrel more rigid without adding the weight of a full heavy barrel.

As has been touched on though, the fluting also creates a greater surface area to dissipate heat.

It would definitely do something to better remove heat from the barrel, physically it has to.

Whether or not it does enough to make a difference or even be noticeable is another story.

Never done a side by side so don't have any temperature numbers or anything to quote from my own experience however.
AlanK
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Rakk » 18 Feb 2014, 3:11 pm

Using the extremely unscientific process of touching it to see if it's hot :lol: I can't say that there is much of a difference.

I've shot both on a day after a mate picked up a fluted barrel when I had my regular sporter.

Both heated up, both needed a rest, both eventually cooled down. I wouldn't expect rapid cooling from fluting...
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Apollo » 18 Feb 2014, 3:26 pm

My thoughts are.....

#1 Fluting looks pretty....!!!!

#2 Fluting does not make a barrel more rigid, barrel diameter makes a barrel more rigid and by going larger in barrel diameter you increase weight so fluting is used to reduce the weight and give you a larger diameter barrel which is more rigid than the smaller non fluted barrel.

#3 Fluting may help with heat distribution and heat loss but more material heats up slower, takes longer to cool. How much heat does it take to affect accuracy and how often are you going to fire enough rounds to get to that heat stage.

#4 Fluting has been said to weaken certain barrels, some barrel manufacturers will void any warranty if a barrel is fluted after production and stress relief.

I'll go with the main reason for fluting is weight loss and retain rigidity. A semi or full automatic firearm used for other than hunting / varminting is a completely different story.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 18 Feb 2014, 5:04 pm

Rakk wrote:Using the extremely unscientific process of touching it to see if it's hot :lol: I can't say that there is much of a difference.

Also not measured, but that's my experience as well.

My .308 has a standard barrel, my 7mm-08 is fluted. In my .308 I'm shooting 150gr pills with 46.5 gr powder and in the 7mm I'm shooting 140gr pills with 42gr powder.

On the say the .308 heated up a little faster as you'd expect from burning more powder, but I reckon the 7mm was only 1-2 shots behind being equal.

Once heated up, cooling down time for the barrels took about the same, being as accurate as judging by feel can be.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 18 Feb 2014, 5:17 pm

Rakk wrote:Using the extremely unscientific process of touching it to see if it's hot :lol: I can't say that there is much of a difference.

Mirage seen in your Scope coming off your Barrel is a fair clue things are getting a little hot, some put a Mirage Shield on their barrel to stop the effect seen in the scope. I'd say the barrel is getting hot and I would not like to touch it with the back of my hand. Mind though, it doesn't take much in the way of a temperature increase to see mirage, it's just air movement out of the ordinary.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Streamline » 18 Feb 2014, 5:25 pm

Apollo wrote:Mirage seen in your Scope coming off your Barrel is a fair clue things are getting a little hot, some put a Mirage Shield on their barrel to stop the effect seen in the scope.

Mmm, that's interesting.

I think I've noticed that before but at the time didn't put 2 and 2 together to realise it was heat coming off the barrel.

I'll be paying attention next time.
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ariat » 18 Feb 2014, 6:03 pm

Streamline wrote:I think I've noticed that before but at the time didn't put 2 and 2 together to realise it was heat coming off the barrel.

It's 4 by the way, just so you know for the future ;)
Ariat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Streamline » 18 Feb 2014, 6:04 pm

Now that I know that all my problems are solved! :lol:
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ken » 18 Feb 2014, 6:41 pm

I find the most effective way to test is fire 15-20 rounds, then nestle the barrel between your butt cheeks.

Should be pretty sensitive to subtle changes in temperature there :lol:
Whatever you do, don't look at the mayonnaise...
Ken
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Spooner » 18 Feb 2014, 6:59 pm

Ken wrote:I find the most effective way to test is fire 15-20 rounds, then nestle the barrel between your butt cheeks.

Spooner
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by headspace » 18 Feb 2014, 7:09 pm

Ken wrote:I find the most effective way to test is fire 15-20 rounds, then nestle the barrel between your butt cheeks.

Should be pretty sensitive to subtle changes in temperature there :lol:

Was that you on "Embarrassing Bodies" last night?
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 18 Feb 2014, 8:58 pm

He's one of those fools on Guinness World Records who's proud of getting some record because no one else was stupid enough to attempt it :lol:
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Noisydad » 20 Feb 2014, 12:37 pm

Totally agree with Apollo - it looks pretty! How many shots per minute are really going to fire? Dont think it would reduce any effective weight either. Just imagine what 6 half metre bits of fence wire weighs as thats about all the metal thats removed by fluting. If you cant carry that little bit extra maybe its time to buy a gym membership!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Fry » 20 Feb 2014, 5:55 pm

Noisydad wrote:Just imagine what 6 half metre bits of fence wire weighs as thats about all the metal thats removed by fluting. If you cant carry that little bit extra maybe its time to buy a gym membership!

Not about gross weight as such I guess.

Only a few hundred grams, but when it's not hanging out in front of you you're that much more stable?
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing