Need advice: New barrel for old Sportco 303/25

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Need advice: New barrel for old Sportco 303/25

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Sep 2019, 7:20 pm

Interesting, I have used Maddco mainly but also Tobler, Hardy, Benchmark, Pac Nor and Kreiger. I have never come across anyone with a Sprinter barrel. Funny thing is I have stayed in Hahndorf for a week and didn't come across his shop. He has a very limited online presence which would not be helping.

I am yet to have a Maddco that wasn't impressive so I cannot see any reason to change.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 15 Sep 2019, 8:23 pm

He hasn't been in Hahndorf for many years,and when he was,he was in one of the back streets and it just looked like a regular house
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 17 Sep 2019, 3:56 pm

I have heard about Sprinter Arms too, in fact I had a .22lr barrel made by him centuries ago....this guy does a good job with HUNTING BARRELS, so dont expect target grade accuracy from his work .
He is more than happy to churn out 1moa barrels but if your expecting his barrels to put bullets on top of each other well then you will be disappointed.
He once told a friend that he does not do target grade (bench rest grade) barrels, and to be honest he is a bit rough when it comes to not damaging the finish on your barrel.
I have had a couple of barrels crowned by him and he left long (up to 1inch and longer) deep chuck jaw scratches along the barrels finish.
By all means get your rifle re-barreled by him but dont be surprised if it comes back with more scratches and marks than you had when you dropped it off.
cheers,
Sean.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Return to Gunsmithing