Tikka M55 Trigger Adjustment

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Tikka M55 Trigger Adjustment

Post by GQshayne » 23 Sep 2019, 7:16 pm

The two photos attached are of the trigger assembly for my M55. Not shown is the trigger weight adjusting screw. I am aware of that one, and trigger weight is good. What is not perfect is it has a small amount of creep. My other Tikka does not. So this one needs adjusting. Now I figured it was done via the screw on the side you can see. But it looks like it is not going to budge. The opposite side looks like it is welded to be honest. Hard to see in the photos.

Anybody know how to adjust creep on the M55?

DSCN1154.JPG
DSCN1154.JPG (2.12 MiB) Viewed 3597 times

If you look at this pin closely, you can see what looks like brazing/welding around the edge of it. It is as hard as steel whatever it is.

DSCN1155.JPG
DSCN1155.JPG (2.14 MiB) Viewed 3597 times

This screw has the edges swaged but I have cleaned that out. But it does not budge at all even with good pressure on it.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Tikka M55 Trigger Adjustment

Post by marksman » 23 Sep 2019, 7:54 pm

I am pretty sure the only adjustment is on the front of the trigger :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 23 Sep 2019, 9:39 pm

marksman wrote:I am pretty sure the only adjustment is on the front of the trigger :unknown:

If that is the case then the screw on the side would be superfluous. And if it is welded on the opposite side as it looks to be, why bother swaging the screw head?

Might be a job for a gunsmith.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 25 Sep 2019, 7:37 pm

I decided to have a look at it myself. What could go wrong! :sarcasm:

Most of what I read on the net applies to rifles with BAD triggers. So they are attacking them with gusto, as they have a lot to work with. In my case, the trigger is very good, so a bit of overzealous work could have it stuffed in a heartbeat. My thoughts anyway. So I decided to start by polishing the trigger with steel wool. This has improved it to the point that it is now intermittent. Sometimes there is still a small amount of creep, and other times it is perfect. Unfortunately, my testing had them all break clean, and it was only after I re-assembled it that I noticed it was inconsistent. :thumbsdown:

So perhaps the same work on the sear will finish it off. Rifle is still in testing, so will be stripped down again shortly. I will have another go at it then.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 26 Sep 2019, 8:02 am

From memory you adjust the trigger weight to the desired level then cock the bolt and wind the sear engagement screw out until the trigger breaks. Then turn the sear adjustment in 1/2 a turn.

My LSA55 I simply wound the weight all the way out then in half a turn. I have an M55 I've just build and will have a look today at that trigger

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 26 Sep 2019, 7:14 pm

They should be the same. The only difference between the rifles is that the LSA55 was made for the American market, and was sold as an "Ithaca".
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldhunternz » 08 Jun 2021, 5:41 pm

What i found is the slotted pin on the side of the trigger housing is a coarse adjustment for trigger sear engagement.This pin has a cam style contour which when rotated to its correct position and secured by staking or welding provides a crisp trigger.This pin does not have any thread. The screw on the front of the trigger housing normally provides trigger weight adjustment and very fine adjustment of engagement. These triggers can normally be set very crisp when adjusting correctly. The slotted pin in the side must be securely fixed in its correct position to function reliably.
Hope this helps.
Oldhunternz
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by GQshayne » 12 Jun 2021, 7:23 pm

Oldhunternz wrote:What i found is the slotted pin on the side of the trigger housing is a coarse adjustment for trigger sear engagement.This pin has a cam style contour which when rotated to its correct position and secured by staking or welding provides a crisp trigger.This pin does not have any thread. The screw on the front of the trigger housing normally provides trigger weight adjustment and very fine adjustment of engagement. These triggers can normally be set very crisp when adjusting correctly. The slotted pin in the side must be securely fixed in its correct position to function reliably.
Hope this helps.

Interesting. If i have it apart again at any point I will look more closely.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing