Mounting a Scope

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Mounting a Scope

Post by Stix » 12 Oct 2019, 5:59 pm

What does everyone do when mounting a scope...particularly in relation to the lubrication/anti rust additive to the metal surfaces that cannot & will not be accessed once the scope is mounted.

For example...Rings to mounts--the metal to metal surfaces...i usually give a light smear of oil or lanolin grease, so when the time comes to eventually pull them apart they are not rusty..

I remember years ago, i put new steel mpounts on an old remington, & the fellow next to me at the range said "dont do that mate (in regard to me smearing an oil lined finger over the mounts)--you dont want to be lubricating those surfaces"...only 18 months later i pulled them off & the bluing was all rusty & they remain that way now...

This goes for other surfaces too...like for example, the upper surface of the action/reciever on a Tikka T3 has ridges machined into...so being paranoid about rust, before i mounted a pic rail, i smeared lanolin grease in them (not much-but a coating all the same)...so when that rail comes off there shouldnt be any rust to speak of.

There is also the inner side of scope rings--like for example on rings that have inserts like some Burris & Sako's...any kind of grease/oil goes against the theory of not wanting these parts to have any movement, yet if they are not coated, sure as eggs in 5 years or more when you pull them apart they will be rusty...a smear of an oily finger on the inside of rings before the inserts are in is very tempting... :problem:

Naturally im careful to not get it into screw threads etc...

So...im keen to know... :)

What does everyone do in regards to these metal to metal areas...?...particularly for you mature aged &/or bulk shooters that have been re-setting scope mounts on re-barrels for decade after decade... :unknown: :geek:

And what are your thoughts on the matter...? :idea:

(it would be good if you all answer within 5 mins as im about to mount a scope... :lol: )

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Major
Major

South Australia

Re: Mounting a Scope

Post by Wm.Traynor » 12 Oct 2019, 6:58 pm

I have never had rust on the inside of steel rings and I live in a humid place, where the air is salty. Naturally, the insides were not oiled, greased for the reasons you mention. Perhaps the air could not get to the insides :unknown:
However and not to change the subject but an un-oiled rimfire did rust. Everything is stored in the same safe too. No harm in oiling the outside of rings though.

I don't use oil anymore on the outside of my guns. Instead, I use wax. Maybe it would be OK on the inside of rings :unknown:
Wm.Traynor
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 12 Oct 2019, 7:11 pm

Hey Wm.Traynor... :)

That sounds interesting...
Whats this wax you use...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Major
Major

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 Oct 2019, 7:26 pm

I wipe a greasy finger over the metal I'm going to cover with a rail, not enough to be visible, just enough to seal it.

I have my old Lynx one-piece mount from my M96 which has lots of surface rust now, I wouldn't use steel mounts or rings these days.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
General
General

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 12 Oct 2019, 7:31 pm

Last year I removed the scope rings from my Tikka LSA 55. When they were installed I never put anything on them, and there was no corrosion. They were on there for about 32 years.

But a wipe of lanolin sounds like a good idea.
GQshayne
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Oct 2019, 8:24 pm

I’m super slack with my bush tools (rifles) I don’t do anything cosmetic ,,,as long as it functions and I operate with utmost safety when useing them
Blr243
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 12 Oct 2019, 8:37 pm

Nothing....
bigpete
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Oct 2019, 9:20 pm

I used to place a tiny piece of rubber tape on rings to prevent marking but I’ve now stopped doing this and def do not use a lubricant...
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Tasmania

Post by Wm.Traynor » 13 Oct 2019, 11:34 am

Stix wrote:Hey Wm.Traynor... :)

Cabinet Maker's Wax
www.gillystephenson.com
No idea what's in it but it smells nice :oops: Got the wax-idea from the marlinowners.com/forum where they use floor polish but I could not find any locally. Maybe no one polishes lino floors anymore :unknown: I'll bet CMW is dear though. I haven't bought any for years.
Wm.Traynor
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 15 Oct 2019, 9:36 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
Stix wrote:Hey Wm.Traynor... :)

Cabinet Maker's Wax
http://www.gillystephenson.com
No idea what's in it but it smells nice :oops: Got the wax-idea from the marlinowners.com/forum where they use floor polish but I could not find any locally. Maybe no one polishes lino floors anymore :unknown: I'll bet CMW is dear though. I haven't bought any for years.

No, no-one waxes floors anymore. They polish them , just not with a wax.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing