My experience with bore cleaning

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: My experience with bore cleaning

Post by Stix » 10 Mar 2020, 1:09 pm

Thanks Ziad, but im not buying more stuff...its not as though i have nothing to clean the carbon with. :)

Just thought it might be an interesting experiment
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 10 Mar 2020, 2:08 pm

Just buy it anyway, and send it to me... hehe
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 11 Mar 2020, 12:14 pm

Possibly Stix, I didn't sticky beak too much into his box, I was too busy being embarressed by my severe lack of barrel thickness :lol:
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Mar 2020, 9:27 am

Here is the SCA brake cleaner.

SCA Brake clean er.jpg
SCA Brake clean er.jpg (640.08 KiB) Viewed 6123 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 14 Mar 2020, 9:55 am

Every few years I go to a local commercial printing place and grab 4 or 5 L of 100% Isopropyl ( they pour out from 20L drums, paid $8L last time from memory).

doesnt damage ya car paint or plastic, I was using it to remove sticker gum as I was competing on a montly basis over the last few years.

Its what they use to clean large scale presses and also a lense cleaner. Fantastic on carbon too.

Helmars 7500 is by far the best non toxic dedicated carbon remover Ive used and it even removes copper just not as quick as Boretech. Locally made and cheap too. :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Mar 2020, 3:49 pm

Bill wrote:Every few years I go to a local commercial printing place and grab 4 or 5 L of 100% Isopropyl ( they pour out from 20L drums, paid $8L last time from memory).

doesnt damage ya car paint or plastic, I was using it to remove sticker gum as I was competing on a montly basis over the last few years.

Its what they use to clean large scale presses and also a lense cleaner. Fantastic on carbon too.

Helmars 7500 is by far the best non toxic dedicated carbon remover Ive used and it even removes copper just not as quick as Boretech. Locally made and cheap too. :thumbsup:

Bill - I’ve read some great comments from you, I’ve read some average and outright disagreeable comments - but PLEASE explain who the fug competes in sticker gum removal?
Is it like a race to get the stickers off or what?? :sarcasm:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by sungazer » 14 Mar 2020, 5:04 pm

I think he means that when he competes they place a sticker on his gun to show that it has been inspected, weighed ect and passes. Isopropyl is ok on some adhesives but if you really want a top shelf remover try Xylene
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Bill » 14 Mar 2020, 5:45 pm

TassieTiger Ive been racing Honda civics for the last 8 years, window banners, numbers on doors, event sponsor sticker all leave some sort of gum and Isopropyl is great for cleaning things.

I also mix it with dry ice to create a liquid slurry that freezes and allows soundening to be removed from under the carpet in a car and the boot area, I removed close to 15kg of weight out of a civic :drinks:

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 14 Mar 2020, 5:45 pm

its a fantastic cleaning product, just expensive when you buy from a pharmacy

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Mar 2020, 6:35 pm

Bill wrote:TassieTiger Ive been racing Honda civics for the last 8 years, window banners, numbers on doors, event sponsor sticker all leave some sort of gum and Isopropyl is great for cleaning things.

I also mix it with dry ice to create a liquid slurry that freezes and allows soundening to be removed from under the carpet in a car and the boot area, I removed close to 15kg of weight out of a civic :drinks:

It was jest...mere jest. I’ve got the same decals placed on my race bikes at circuits and strip.

On another note - watched a civic and late model fort gt mustang at Baskerville last year...was the most entertaining thing I’ve watched for a while. Civic got him but then got a penalty - it didn’t lose a metre on back straight to the v8...penalty was for going round outside of Stang onto grass in last lap. Great stuff.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by pomemax » 14 Mar 2020, 7:00 pm

DD Eucalyptus works just as good on sticker adheasive the base of the adhesive is Krayton rubber mixed with some small amount of natural rubber and Toluene few different chemical added for shef life and stuff like that .
When i was working at the factory that makes the adhesive they had a BULK DD to remove it from people if they got covered in adheasive and it works on steel too.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by flutch » 15 Mar 2020, 12:00 am

@bill

Civics aye? What's the view like from the back of the grid?
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch