Citristrip Paint Remover Wash

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Citristrip Paint Remover Wash

Post by Wm.Traynor » 20 Oct 2019, 3:26 pm

If you had run out of Citristrip Paint Remover Wash and wanted to wipe clean the surface of some treated wood, what would you do?
a) Buy some
b) Wipe down with a damp rag and allow to dry
c) Don't bother and apply the new finish
d) None of the above

Asking for a friend :silent: ;)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: Citristrip Paint Remover Wash

Post by No1_49er » 20 Oct 2019, 3:58 pm

Might be useful to know where/what it was being used on. Outside, inside, gun stock, furniture?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 20 Oct 2019, 4:25 pm

No1_49er wrote:Might be useful to know where/what it was being used on. Outside, inside, gun stock, furniture?

The outside of a fore end.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Stix » 20 Oct 2019, 5:05 pm

Im not immediately familiar with this citris stripper & dont have time to google its properties...
But...
I wouldnt be using water in any way...ie damo rag...I imagine you want to get whatever residue is left out of the timber, water may tend to carry whtever is there,deeper into the pores...water doesnt evaporate quickly & tends to pul itself into timber quickly & take some time to dry out...

Try alcohol or something that will dry/evaoprate quickly...this will open the pores more & also lift the grain allowing for a finer sanding me thinks...

Or maybe some kind of Oxalic acid if you have it in some form--commonly used to wash timber--that will eat away loose/decayed fibres & open up pores too...

Again, just all suggestions without knowing what this strippers carrier is...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 20 Oct 2019, 5:20 pm

No idea what a "carrier" is Stix but a look at the label says N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone :o :crazy:
The back of the container says it contains d-limonene but that might be for those who are allergic.
Now I'm going to googleN-methyl etc., and see what we come up with.

Thanks Stix :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 20 Oct 2019, 5:23 pm

Well, that was quick. It's "miscible" with water. So does that mean a damp rag will do after all? :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Stix » 20 Oct 2019, 5:45 pm

Whats that mean...?...Did you google "miscible"...lol...

Yes i guess that means its ok...

What i meant by "carrier" is...for example...you dont thin out water based paint with turps...you do it with water...i just dont know the correct terminology...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 20 Oct 2019, 6:37 pm

Yep, I googled that too. Thanks again mate :D :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Stix » 20 Oct 2019, 7:36 pm

Sorry Wm...i was paying myself out--not you--as i had to google its definition... :thumbsup:
Let us know if it works...
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Oct 2019, 12:09 pm

Well Stix, I wiped down with a damp rag and got stuff-all residue on it. The preparation that was "removered", was a mix that proved unsuitable and is going to be replaced by something better, I think. The fore end looks pretty clean and the old stuff came off easily, so i am not worried about anything now. Will start cutting back the raised grain this pm.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing