Gunsmith screwdriver bit sets

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Gunsmith screwdriver bit sets

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 25 Oct 2019, 9:39 am

I'm chasing a decent quality screwdriver set with the correct fitting bits for my rifles and pistols.

What do you blokes use?
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Gunsmith screwdriver bit sets

Post by pomemax » 25 Oct 2019, 10:53 am

Wheeler--Gunsmithing Screwdriver Set AU $174.00 on ebay
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 25 Oct 2019, 2:16 pm

Mate I have the wheeler torque wrench and have got a set of torx, hex, and screwdriver bits from Bunnings mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 25 Oct 2019, 3:19 pm

Not being a S$#@t A*s but I have used a bench grinder. If you don't have room in you garage then a set is the way to go. That said, I have come across screw slots that vary in width in a set of scope mounts :o If your carefully chosen tip feels a bit loose in one particular screw-head, that could be the reason :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by marksman » 26 Oct 2019, 2:58 pm

its a good thing to ask what is in others opinion better
household screwdrivers are not designed for the precision screws used on firearms
l like one piece screwdrivers not saying that the wheeler sets are not good but the forster screwdrivers IMHO are a good set
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... d6634.aspx
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 26 Oct 2019, 3:23 pm

Yer i have them too marksman they are good
I do tend to use the wheeler more because of the torque drivers and allen key ends. They also fit in the fat max wrench As jim toms say have a look in bunning too
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 27 Oct 2019, 8:30 am

marksman wrote:its a good thing to ask what is in others opinion better
household screwdrivers are not designed for the precision screws used on firearms
l like one piece screwdrivers not saying that the wheeler sets are not good but the forster screwdrivers IMHO are a good set
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... d6634.aspx

What makes you prefer the one piece gumsmith screw drivers? I like that with the wheeler sets you get alot of different sized bits but I know I tend to prefer one piece screwdrivers when using a screwdriver in general
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 27 Oct 2019, 3:28 pm

if the screw is tight the several piece screwdriver has flex that can be the cause of damage to the head of the screw
as I said earlier firearms have precision screws and household screwdrivers or bits are not the best thing to use IMHO
if it is all you have got then it has to be :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by wannabustbunnies » 13 Nov 2019, 1:27 pm

I have one of the Chapman sets and also their mini ratchet hex bit set and they are pretty good. Here is a place that has a decent range.
https://www.mektronics.com.au/brands/ch ... cturer=160
wannabustbunnies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by John » 12 Apr 2020, 11:52 am

You really do get what you pay for when it comes down to tools especially screwdrivers and torq bits.
Spend a few extra bucks on a decent set like the ones from foster they will last you a life time that last thing you want to do is chew out a screw head with a inferior driver not made for the type of precision screws used on fire arms
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private