Painting a synthetic stock.

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Painting a synthetic stock.

Post by CrackThump » 29 Oct 2019, 5:15 pm

Firstly... if this topic has been covered and Im just duplicating a thread, Id be happy if someone could link me to the proper discussion :D cheers

So.. heres the thing, I have a howa 1500 .223 with the most god awful camo stock on it. Ive always hated the colour, but the price was right and its a good rifle..

Im about to put a lucky 13 magazine conversion on it and Im going to take the opportunity to paint the stock to match.

A couple of web discussions have said its as simple as sanding the stock lightly, give it a couple coats of epoxy based primer, a couple coats of epoxy based paint, final spray with automotive type clear coat and 'viola'...

Is it that simple or....... ????

Im not looking for leonardo da vinci results, but it would be nice if it didnt peel off for at least a couple of years.. :D

Thanks in advance for advice or stories.
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Painting a synthetic stock.

Post by TassieTiger » 29 Oct 2019, 8:59 pm

Flexi primer is best bet as synthetic stocks move.
Prep is literally everything - do not add paint until your 100% happy with finished primer.
Let clear coat dry - not flash dry - dry properly then very light wet/dry 1st clear coat before adding 2nd and 3rd clear - if you put the time in, results will be good.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 29 Oct 2019, 9:06 pm

Im no painter...but...lol...
Like Tassie has said, go for paints that are flexible--designed to move & be able to stay stuck to something that moves...

Mske dure you clean the stock throroughly of sll dust before psinting.

Once you've got the base sorted, you'll be able to change the pattern easy if you dont like it.

Good luck & show us some pics...!!
:)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by scoot » 30 Oct 2019, 7:43 pm

You can buy special "plastic" primer from automotive paint suppliers, probably other places too. It is designed for bumpers, mirrors etc and retains adhesion with inherent movement from plastics. As mentioned CLEAN is key. Set it up so you can paint the entire surface without moving it and wipe it all down again with an alcohol based cleaner before applying. The only other tip i would give is not to paint the heck out of it, thick paint will chip and crack more noticibly when knocked about.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by CAVEMAN » 01 Nov 2019, 9:38 pm

Out of interest mate why did you decide to go Lucky 13 over the Howa mag kit?
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 01 Nov 2019, 9:49 pm

scoot wrote:You can buy special "plastic" primer from automotive paint suppliers, probably other places too. It is designed for bumpers, mirrors etc and retains adhesion with inherent movement from plastics. As mentioned CLEAN is key. Set it up so you can paint the entire surface without moving it and wipe it all down again with an alcohol based cleaner before applying. The only other tip i would give is not to paint the heck out of it, thick paint will chip and crack more noticibly when knocked about.

Thats good advice...really good advice.. :clap: . :thumbsup: ...thick paint will not only chip off easier, but promote & make it easier for more to chip off... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Nov 2019, 9:34 am

I washed my Tikka stock with the wife's Parmolive dishwashing liquid, gave my 12 year old a rattle can of flat tan paint. That turned the orrible black stock into a nice subtle brown one. Apart from a few scratches from hunting it has held up well.

Have you got a handy 12 year old who could do yours?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Nov 2019, 10:47 am

SCJ429 wrote:I washed my Tikka stock with the wife's Parmolive dishwashing liquid, gave my 12 year old a rattle can of flat tan paint. That turned the orrible black stock into a nice subtle brown one. Apart from a few scratches from hunting it has held up well.

Is the "flat paint" you mention readily available,,,,,,, and where from ??
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Nov 2019, 10:47 am

Agree with Tass regarding prep is everything. Paint suppliers have reps that should have appropriate product knowledge for the best plan of action Speak to a paint rep. And before you start does the stock fit you perfectly.? Does it need a little scallop somewhere to make the grip perfect for your style? If so now is the time.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by flutch » 02 Nov 2019, 12:10 pm

I reckon the best way to paint a plastic stock is in the dumpster as you finish bedding your barrelled action into a brand new walnut or laminate stock or chassis.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Nov 2019, 2:19 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:I washed my Tikka stock with the wife's Parmolive dishwashing liquid, gave my 12 year old a rattle can of flat tan paint. That turned the orrible black stock into a nice subtle brown one. Apart from a few scratches from hunting it has held up well.

Is the "flat paint" you mention readily available,,,,,,, and where from ??

I bought it from a monopolist hardware chain, it was a Colourbond colour and I got matte on the advice from my 12 year old apprentice industrial designer.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Nov 2019, 3:00 pm

Why not buy a camo skin. Cheap on ebay
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing