.222 Magnum build

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: .222 Magnum build

Post by Am88 » 15 Jan 2020, 10:18 am

I did look at it briefly, as said to SCJ I'm a bit novice when it comes to things like that, I don't have any improved cartridges as of yet in my collection nor wildcats other then my .25-06. It could be not true I don't know just an article I read somewhere on the .222rem that's it's long neck design may contribute to it's accuracy, and the .222mag shares that nice long neck. There's that many little snippets like that floating in my head that I remember here and there 80% of them probably a bull :lol:
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Jan 2020, 10:42 am

It was the thinking that long necks have an advantage in presenting the bullet straight to the lands but use of Tangent or hybrid ogive designs make long necks less important. The shorter neck of the Dasher or BRX is no disadvantage over the standard BR case design. I would say that good quality brass will make more of a difference to accuracy.

Wildcats are fun and a 40 degree shoulder on your 222 Mag would look outrageous and as far as case life goes may improve things. My 243AI needs little trimming compared to a standard 243. The steep shoulder angle seems to prevent the brass flowing into the neck.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Am88 » 15 Jan 2020, 12:00 pm

One day I will probably get something, gotta be honest this is the first rifle I've built, re chambered or done anything like this, so its a learning curve. I'm wanting to look into a new scope now too, all of my rifles that are scoped now are adorned with fixed power scopes, be it 4 power, 6 power or 8 power. I done a quick dummy fit last night with a VX2 4-12x40, and with medium height Talley's that I would like to keep it at, there is enough clearance under to fit MAYBE a 50mm objective lens depending on the maker and bell thickness etc, a fixed 10x42 Schmidt and Bender would top if off nicely I think, or even a old fixed 12 power Leupold. I will do some proper measurements tonight and compare bell sizes on Cad as scope manufacturers give you the measurements.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 15 Jan 2020, 7:23 pm

Have you steamed your stock yet???? That will help to lift out dents etc and will also remove any filler or stain that is left behind. Next trick after that is a high flash point solvent. Like you, I do not have a supply of acetone, but brake cleaner is available anywhere and will do the job. Also, warm water with dishwashing liquid, and give it a good scrub.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 16 Jan 2020, 6:55 am

Haven't steamed yet GQShayne, I spent the afternoon mucking around with the barrel channel, don't have much time in the afternoons but hopefully will get a good go at this weekend. I did drill out the old swivel stud holes last night while I was mucking around, luckily the old studs dented the timber and left a nice round print on the wood so the edges did not break away when I drilled them.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2020, 7:54 am

I heard some where caustic soda solution to remove oil. Sounds drastic though. Perhaps ask around or google it
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 17 Jan 2020, 11:11 am

Read that last night actually oldbloke, dunno how keen I am on the idea, also saw another bloke reckons the caustic soda stains walnut black, Don't even know if this stock is walnut to be honest.

Got a bit excited when I seen these, brand new bottom metal complete with magazine. The paint is all coming off the factory one and a bit of corrosion, this one will look much nicer, the action already has Howa written on it so not too stressed about the writing.
Attachments
Howa Bottom Metal.jpg
Howa Bottom Metal.jpg (360.43 KiB) Viewed 7440 times
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 20 Jan 2020, 9:05 am

Was a big weekend so didn't get as much done as I would have liked, got the barrel channel to a stage where I could would on the pillars and do the bedding so I have repetition when I put it in the check the barrel channel, I have something I want to try with that later on anyway to stiffen it now I have so much material removed. I made up a couple of rests out of bog in the barrel channel to take to weight of the barrel so it does not affect my bedding. Made up 2 pillars at home, done a test fit to get length, worked out really well so happy about that, just need to lathe a couple of grooves in them. Coming along slowly :drinks:
Attachments
Pillars.jpg
Pillars.jpg (432.04 KiB) Viewed 7417 times
Barrel Channel.jpg
Barrel Channel.jpg (228.97 KiB) Viewed 7417 times
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 20 Jan 2020, 6:04 pm

thats a good way of doing it :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 21 Jan 2020, 9:10 am

Got it happening last night, attached the pillars sorry no photo’s of them forgot, get myself setup with the bench, couple of Jack Daniels to settle the nerves and mixed up the Devcon, never pillar bedded a rifle before so I think it went well, used counter sunk bolts to centre the pillars to the bolt holes, ground down the counter sunk head to be smaller then the pillar. Popped it out this morning and all looks good, one lesson learnt, on previous rifles I used to put way to much bedding compound around the rear screw, and it was always so much to clean it all up after the process, so I said to myself this time I will just use less, I didn’t bloody use enough :lol: not to worry it just didn’t come up and squeeze out the back, now there is a gap around the rear tang bit.

I couldn’t help myself, I had to do a dummy fit with a scope, that is using medium DNZ reaper one piece rings. Coming along.
Attachments
Bedding 1.jpg
Bedding 1.jpg (147.65 KiB) Viewed 7401 times
CMC .222mag.jpg
CMC .222mag.jpg (355.47 KiB) Viewed 7401 times
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 21 Jan 2020, 9:42 am

That will work nicely
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 21 Jan 2020, 12:42 pm

your going to be charging big money for this soon :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 21 Jan 2020, 1:23 pm

Dunno about that one marksman :lol: Can't say I have played with anyone else's gear yet. I ran out of bloody devcon so might pinch some from a mate at work cause tonight I want to bed the bottom metal, there is quite a gap around the plate so just want to hold the ends in place a bit better.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 22 Jan 2020, 10:40 am

Will post photo shortly. But I had an early mark yesterday and when I got home I starting cleaning up the bedding, as I sanded the edge I kind got a bit carried away and just kept sanding. Got to the point of putting the first coat of BLO, spar varnish and a double hit of turps to soak in quick and doing a light wet oil sand with 220 to get a slurry going followed by a vigorous hand rub down. From what I can see it's going to be a dark stock when finished. Have not quite finished the barrel channel yet needs a little more work on the left hand side so did not oil in there as yet.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 22 Jan 2020, 1:20 pm

Few more coats and work my way down to 600 grit and should be ok, She's gunna cop a few dings here and there being in the ute going in and out the window all the time and putting it down and back in cases etc. So it will do good enough for me. Deffinataly can say I'm a man who likes the feel of oiled timber instead of varnish or plastic, feels a bit more real in the hands.
Attachments
Stock.jpg
Stock.jpg (365.79 KiB) Viewed 6669 times
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 22 Jan 2020, 7:21 pm

I am interested in the process you followed for your stock finish if you have time for a few words on here. Looks to be quite different to what I have done.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 23 Jan 2020, 8:30 am

Sought of a mix of different processes I have seen on the net GQshayne, between larry potterfield, a few youtube video’s, one joy of living up in nth qld, is I can be pretty laid back with my timber, very rarely do they get wet if every depending on how long I’ve owned the gun. I did one stock once with straight boiled linseed oil, I liked the finish but I didn’t like the process, took too long to dry. I was reading another article and came across the mix I use, equal thirds of Boiled Linseed oil, you can use tung oil but have not tried this yet, Spar Varnish, must be spar varnish as it has different additives for exterior wood protection, and mineral turps to thin, I read in the same article if you want a bit more shine you add more varnish.

Process is pretty simple, sand it down, I usually go down to 220 grit, then as I said the first 2 coats Ill add a little extra turps to really let it soak into the wood, so first 2 coats I wet sand with heaps of the mix on it, it makes like an oil and wood dust slurry which I then rub in by hand to fill the pores. Then I go to my equal third mix and only light coats then, so just enough that I can feel it actually rubbing on the stock, then I sand with 320 grit, do this twice, same process for 400 grit twice, then to 600 grit twice, after each wet sanding I wipe the stock with a rag to remove any dust/oil mix left, and apply a thin film of the mix and rub it in HARD with my bare hands, I mean hard to get my hands hot.

After the 600 is done I go to 000 steel wool, same process, as many times as you want. Thing I found with this mix is I can apply a coat and sand in the morning before work, and one more in the arve when I get home because it dries much quicker, instead of boiled linseed oil which takes 24hrs or more to dry between coats. Hope that all made sense.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 23 Jan 2020, 8:33 am

I will also add that the first 2 coats with the extra turps always look terrible once they are dry. as one video I watched quoted "it's one of those things that looks worse before it looks better"
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 23 Jan 2020, 7:48 pm

Interesting results. As you saw with my photos, the Tru Oil gives a very glossy finish in comparison.

Is your photo taken after rubbing back with the steel wool, or is that after oil application?
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Jan 2020, 12:48 am

That looks like its coming along nicely. Did u touch up the checkering?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 24 Jan 2020, 7:28 am

that was after the very first coat with the extra turps gqshayne, no sanding yet, that was literally a quick splash with the extra turps mix and a wipe with a rag to remove access, havent had a chance to do much else had a bit on, but last night got to put a full strength coat on and give it a wet sand with 320. didnt take any photo's as it was dark and they came out terrible, but it's coming along.

Oldbloke ya read my mind because I wanted to ask that today, I do want to touch up the checkering however short of ordering tools, has anyone made one of thier own tools? just to touch it up as stated?

Cheers
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Jan 2020, 9:06 am

I had a go at checkering 2 years ago and totaly ruined it. Ended up sanding it out. No biggy, just an old single shotty.
Be carefull.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 24 Jan 2020, 7:39 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I had a go at checkering 2 years ago and totaly ruined it. Ended up sanding it out. No biggy, just an old single shotty.
Be carefull.

My reason for not touching any of mine!!! Too worried about stuffing it up.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 24 Jan 2020, 9:29 pm

How is the ammo availability for the .222 Rem Mag.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 25 Jan 2020, 7:44 am

Reload only brass is available i have never seem ammo avaialble anywhere though.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 26 Jan 2020, 8:36 am

AZZA nailed it. Reload only, in Australia anyway. Brass is available, Rebel Gun Works is where I got all mine from. Been a busy weekend so far and busy week but got a few more coats on the stock. Will bring it inside shortly after it stops raining and get some snaps.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 26 Jan 2020, 10:44 am

Be interested yo see how it performs and shoots i have often thought about a 222 mag AI with a 1-8 twist barrel. Something to push the 69g proj just a little quicker than the 223 brother.
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 26 Jan 2020, 9:40 pm

Got to the stage of the first coat of oil and sand with steel wool. it needs a little drying for a couple of weeks in the safe and let it do it's thing and dry a bit. As a comparison I added a pic of my rem 700 which I used the same process on. It will end up a satin finish hopefully.
Attachments
IMG20200126150116.jpg
IMG20200126150116.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 6852 times
IMG20200126204459.jpg
IMG20200126204459.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 6852 times
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 27 Jan 2020, 7:23 pm

Looks good, I like it.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 28 Jan 2020, 9:06 am

Thanks mate appreciate it, it's coming along, will post up some more pics when the scope arrives this week, it’s raining her at the moment so the stock is slowly drying, I only bolted the action in the keep them out of my way really :lol: if I can get it to the stage of my Remington ill be happy, my LSA55 was done the same as well, but as I said, the worst they get would be a light drizzle of rain, this one even less as it’s in the ute when in use. I’ll load up some run in rounds this week and this coming weekend hopefully warm the barrel up for the first time. :drinks:
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Gunsmithing