its alive, not what l had expected

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

its alive, not what l had expected

Post by marksman » 03 Feb 2020, 9:34 am

l own a 6.5x55 m98 that l have used for many years that had started to fowl very badly and as a result would shoot bigger groups
because this rifle had been good and would still shoot accurately for a couple of shots l bought some of David Tubbs final finish to try
l thought l would share the results

l did a bit of research on the ways to get the best results and decided to go against the product recommendations and use it my way
l decided to shoot one or two shots at a time of each grade of bullet looking for copper at the muzzle and cleaning before shooting again
my idea was that it would be futile to try and polish copper so shooting abrasive over bore metal would be a better idea
because this was a bad fowler it usually took hours to clean after one or two bullets so doing this test took over six months
l did five of each bullet and could not see any improvement in fowling so l just shot the last 5 of each grade cleaning in between each 5 shots
l didn't shoot at a target while doing the test and when l sighted in the rifle after the test was not to impressed thinking l will re-barrel the rifle
the rifle didn't really clean up any differently at this time
the other day l took the rifle out with some others l was testing because l had a Satterlee 10 round load development test already made up
and here are the results to my amazement

the target is at 150y and the top three shot group is 140gr factory ammo used to fowl the barrel, someone gave them to me ;)
l actually thought to myself its come back alive again but l'm not going to be buying factory ammo for it, no way
then there is the numbered ladder l did, usually you would not do a ladder while doing the Satterlee just look for flat spots in velocity but l like to
anyway the velocities flatspot is at shots 4) 2683fps, 5) 2682fps,and 6)2682fps :D
l have not tested these again yet but they will be well worth while, if this rifle shoots as good as the first 3 factory ammo shots it will do
it may not last very long but to a hunter 500 shots is quite a few years shooting in this caliber at what you will be shooting with it
the rifle cleaned up very very quickly when l cleaned it back at home, around 15 minutes of soaking for 13 shots instead of hours/days for 1-2 shots
l would give this product a high recommendation but l would not be using it on a good barrel, l used it in this as an experiment on the product
the oal has not moved that l can tell but the rifle is back to being a shooter again, it worked for me :drinks:
when l get around to doing an OCW test around the flatspot l will put up the results :thumbsup:
happy days :D

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: its alive, not what l had expected

Post by GQshayne » 03 Feb 2020, 7:20 pm

What's the go?????

You use the projectiles in handloads, and they work as an abrasive????
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 03 Feb 2020, 7:40 pm

good result marksman, I read reviews on Tubbs product before and I guess it sort of achieves something similar to using jb bore paste just alot more fun :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 03 Feb 2020, 8:40 pm

Lol Bill..more fun indeed...!!. :thumbsup:

Thats great marksman...!

Ive got an old 22-250 that im in denial about when it comes to the fact its life is over...
It barely shoots 1"-1.5", & that group is just a random shotgun pattern at best...but i just love shooting the rifle...

I guess it cant hurt to give it a polish & try the same...see if i cant get more out of it...

Well you've inspired me to give it a crack anyway...
Im not going to spend the money on that fancy bullet gear you have...ill just make use of the autosol & JB bore paste i already have, & load up some cheap bullets...

Infact im so superstitious (or in so much denial--cross out which ever isnt applicable...),, i think ill try it at 150 yds...!!!... :lol:

Good stuff...!!

Look fortward to seeing the results of the other testing you're gonna do...

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 03 Feb 2020, 9:14 pm

here's a utube vid on how it's done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4unRCZC8gpI

"You use the projectiles in handloads, and they work as an abrasive????"
they are abrasive impregnated bullets you load with the fastest powder suitable at the lowest load
they are of different grit to smooth out your bore, the last being a polish

l would not use these bullets in a good barrel, this barrel was useless as it was at the end of its days fowling really badly causing it to shoot shotgun groups
these bullets would have to change the bore dimensions while smoothing the bore out but l could not see an oal difference
l would also not guarantee that it would work although it did for me and the guy in the utube vid above, this rifle was a shooter beforehand

autosol and jb are a micro-fine polishing agent that laps your barrel, you wont get the same result
if you over do it with autosol or jb you can ruin your bore because the bullet wont seal the bore as good and will act like a car sliding on ice, be careful

anyway got to get some sleep l'm taking the dasher out again tomorrow :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 03 Feb 2020, 9:19 pm

Good work. Love to look at the bore with a borescope to see whats going on.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 04 Feb 2020, 7:21 pm

An interesting exercise, I have not heard of it before.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing